Good brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good brake pads

my front pads are pretty much gone. I'm due for a new set, and, though I like what I have on there now (Pagid S, blue sport pads.), they're pretty pricey and if I can find something similar at a cheaper price, I'd be thrilled.

So, has anyone ever tried the Hawk HPS pads? they appear by description to be similar, but they're almost half the cost of the Pagid S. what say ye?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Used Hawk HPS, but I have not used Pagid S so I can't make a direct comparison. I can tell you that the HPS were a reasonably aggressive street pad, reasonably low noise and dusting, reasonably good pad life, reasonably low rotor wear...I found them to be good but not excellent at everything. Great for street driving in a sporty car.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

the Pagid S usually last a year on street driving. so if the Hawk HPS will do that at LEAST, and be a decent to good (not expecting excellence) pad on the occasional Auto X and DE, I should do fine. what do you think JDS?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For street / auto-x, i love the Porterfield R4S. Available through StableEnergies. I liked them more than the HPS on my n/a. I have done 3 DE's with the R4S before making the switch to the R4. By the end of every 20 minute session (maybe 15 minutes in) i would get very noticeable brake fade, the worse being Lime Rock which is a pretty small course. For a novice rungroup driver you will probably be fine. They are a great street / auto-x pad however.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get Porterfield call them direct and ask for the student/military discount.

The r4s are good but need a touch of heat to work well.

Also try PBR Ultimate. Many people are very happy with them. including me.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by azmi951
if you get Porterfield call them direct and ask for the student/military discount.

The r4s are good but need a touch of heat to work well.

Also try PBR Ultimate. Many people are very happy with them. including me.
/Wait, Pabst Blue Ribbon makes an "Ultimate"? Hell Yah! Pass the cooler!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 PM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they still make Pabst Blue Ribbon? We drink Dixie were I come from!!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
the Pagid S usually last a year on street driving. so if the Hawk HPS will do that at LEAST, and be a decent to good (not expecting excellence) pad on the occasional Auto X and DE, I should do fine. what do you think JDS?
HPS should be fine for autocross, don't think I'd recommend them for DE, but it depends on how much braking you do, how heavy your car is, what fluid you use, how much airflow to your brakes...

You have a Porsche, pad changes are extra-fast, get track pads.

Originally Posted by C ANDERSON
Pabst Blue Ribbon is suddenly enjoying a resurgence. Its traditional blue-collar market seems to have dried up, but it's now become extremely popular with the...uh..."hipster crowd"? Is that what they're called? I don't know, people who dress weird and claim that they drink Pabst "ironically". I cannot comprehend how a beer can be ironic, and I don't know how it's worth it to drink cheap, disgusting beer, so that your friends will think you're cool and everybody else will think you're weird.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C ANDERSON
Hell Yes! Where is it you live. I need to come punch you, ya damned philistine!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JDS968
HPS should be fine for autocross, don't think I'd recommend them for DE, but it depends on how much braking you do, how heavy your car is, what fluid you use, how much airflow to your brakes...

You have a Porsche, pad changes are extra-fast, get track pads.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is suddenly enjoying a resurgence. Its traditional blue-collar market seems to have dried up, but it's now become extremely popular with the...uh..."hipster crowd"? Is that what they're called? I don't know, people who dress weird and claim that they drink Pabst "ironically". I cannot comprehend how a beer can be ironic, and I don't know how it's worth it to drink cheap, disgusting beer, so that your friends will think you're cool and everybody else will think you're weird.
A. It's great beer, and I've been drinking it for 25 years.
B. I don't do "hipster".
C. Up your nose with a rubber hose!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

porterfield R4S but i agree that for the track i would go with something more aggressive. i tried R4S's on the track and it did eventually fade but was good until that point. also my fluid was less than perfect so i'm sure that contributed. still, even on the street in the canyons i can overtax them eventually. however, they have nice modulation and very nice initial bite even when LA cool and they last a good long time. my fronts need replacement right now and according to my records, they lasted exactly 30,000 miles of LA city driving with lots and lots of high speed canyon runs. also, porterfield has by far the best price of any of the performance brake pads. i tried a few other performance pads before these including performance friction & KFP and thought both were garbage. porterfield feels like a performance pad even if the fade comes in eventually.

oh, and lots of hipster bars here in LA will have about 20 exotic beers on tap and then also include PBR which i never understood. and even stranger is that they say they will actually sell it which baffles me as all the beer is the same price. and my hipster ex-roommates loved PBR because their favorite crappy beer from their east coast town wasn't sold here.

young people are dumb these days and don't have much taste! the same hipsters wouldn't be caught dead in a porsche but think the prius is saving the world!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:36 AM
azmi951
Drifting

The added bonus of the R4s is a rotor friendly pad and non corrosive dust.

PBR populated my fridge from time time time. My cheap beer tastes are tecate, PBR and Coors gold. Nothing like a cheap watery pilsner on those hot days in the shop. I save the good beer for when I can really enjoy a full bodied brew.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Are pads the same in the front and the rear?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

not on a Turbo S
Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
A. It's great beer, and I've been drinking it for 25 years.
B. I don't do "hipster".
I don't know if "hipster" is actually the crowd who've suddenly adopted it in the last few years, but if you've been drinking it for 25 years, you're not one of them. Whoever they are.

Originally Posted by ehall
C. Up your nose with a rubber hose!
Is that an insult or a drinking suggestion??

Originally Posted by azmi951
PBR populated my fridge from time time time. My cheap beer tastes are tecate, PBR and Coors gold. Nothing like a cheap watery pilsner on those hot days in the shop. I save the good beer for when I can really enjoy a full bodied brew.
Haven't found anything I like better than Corona when it's 95 degrees and 100% humidity and I'm under a car on an asphalt driveway...

Quick Reply: Good brake pads