Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fast spooling turbo with xtra power is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbomachinery in general is designed to run at a given volume and pressure which, on a 944T is finite and known.

You can change the compressor which will have the above-mentioned limits. You can change the volute, compressor diameter and nozzle. Larger, higher HP compressors will make maximum power with large nozzles and larger diameter compressor wheel. They lag quite a bit.

You can change the compressor so that the ratio of the nozzle area to the wheel diameter is smaller and they will spool more quickly, but make less power and have higher pressure drop. Still they will be limited by the engine characteristic above.

Turbine sizes and wheel diameter radius and nozzle area also will affect turbocharger performance and they will still be limited by the engine characteristic above.

The above is true of fixed compressor/turbine wheels/nozzles which is what you are using. Porsche has been able to vary these truths by use of sequential turbos and variable-geometry turbos, neither of which you have.

I am not familiar with your other tuning problems which will affect engine performance, but fixed-size turbochargers are limited by engine volume and pressure.

Last edited by Willard Bridgham 3; 08-21-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
gstreev
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Masochist ..... 124 sport coupe (1) many, many moons ago .........
71 124 Spider, 80? Strada, Another for parts, 78 Lancia Beta coupe, when I met my wife she was driving an X19
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gstreev
71 124 Spider, 80? Strada, Another for parts, 78 Lancia Beta coupe, when I met my wife she was driving an X19
Loved the Beta coupes , great little cars .......
Old 08-21-2010, 04:30 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my first car was an 82 beta coupe. Loved that car. Let my brother drive it to school one day. I never drove it again.

rop3 - I don't know what is up with your car. The only thing I can give you for reference is what it is like to be in a car with a properly set up Vitesse Stage2 system. I had the privilege of taking a ride in Jeremy Himsel's(he's here on RL, look him up) car. He is running a Vitesse stage 2 system on a engine with(AFAIK) stock 2.5 liter internals. His car has an LSD trans. He is running sticky 10" wide tires in the back and it was a warm Phoenix day so he had lots of traction. We took a normal right turn and he got on the gas. He was in second gear. The boost hit around 2800-3000 rpm and the tires broke loose. They caught again around 5000-5200 for a fraction of a second and broke loose again all the way to red line. Without my fat a$$ in the car, the tires would not have caught at all. I've been driving behind him and seen him get completely sideways in second gear when the boost hits. Your car should be running about the same if you have the full Vitesse stage 2 kit with a proper tune.

good luck.

Last edited by azbanks; 08-21-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I know Dana posts similar results, and that is kind of what I was expecting give or take a little. We are looking into it to see what is going on. My boost was close to that range, but not nearly that much tourque. I am running 10's in the rear also hot weather.

Hopefully get some variables nailed down this week.

Thanks

Originally Posted by azbanks
my first car was an 82 beta coupe. Loved that car. Let my brother drive it to school one day. I never drove it again.

rop3 - I don't know what is up with your car. The only thing I can give you for reference is what it is like to be in a car with a properly set up Vitesse Stage2 system. I had the privilege of taking a ride in Jeremy Himsel's(he's here on RL, look him up) car. He is running a Vitesse stage 2 system on a engine with(AFAIK) stock 2.5 liter internals. His car has an LSD trans. He is running sticky 10" wide tires in the back and it was a warm Phoenix day so he had lots of traction. We took a normal right turn and he got on the gas. He was in second gear. The boost hit around 2800-3000 rpm and the tires broke loose. They caught again around 5000-5200 for a fraction of a second and broke loose again all the way to red line. Without my fat a$$ in the car, the tires would not have caught at all. I've been driving behind him and seen him get completely sideways in second gear when the boost hits. Your car should be running about the same if you have the full Vitesse stage 2 kit with a proper tune.

good luck.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Keep in mind I am also running the Vitesse MAF system and VFlex (no airbox).

-Dana
Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

I know same here, we did one run with no airbox.

Originally Posted by DanaT
Keep in mind I am also running the Vitesse MAF system and VFlex (no airbox).

-Dana

Quick Reply: Fast spooling turbo with xtra power is it possible?