Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ebay Headers: I am the guinea pig

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supernotch93
I'm sorry, I was not trying to start a vendor war as you speak of, I was merely stating my .02 on liking the Lindsey style as they were the only reference that I know of using a one piece design.
I wasn't directing my comments to you, you refferenced your impression and oppinion, then 2 vendors chimed in... and several others have given their opinions of one vendor over another, which belongs in a DIFFERENT thread, not one regarding the OBX headders... it is one thing to compare vendor x against the OBX solution, it is an entirely different thing to make refference to vendor x over vendor y, and not mention how either relates to the subject of this thread... I am over this discussion...

Just my 2C..

I am in the process of spending well over 10K on my drivetrain and associated systems... so to sell a car over a $750 set of headders while is justifyable is not even a considderation for me... nor is it for many of us here... and yes, this is one of my daily drivers... not a track toy...
Old 08-11-2010, 04:25 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I wasn't directing my comments to you, you refferenced your impression and oppinion, then 2 vendors chimed in... and several others have given their opinions of one vendor over another, which belongs in a DIFFERENT thread, not one regarding the OBX headders... it is one thing to compare vendor x against the OBX solution, it is an entirely different thing to make refference to vendor x over vendor y, and not mention how either relates to the subject of this thread... I am over this discussion...

Just my 2C..

I am in the process of spending well over 10K on my drivetrain and associated systems... so to sell a car over a $750 set of headders while is justifyable is not even a considderation for me... nor is it for many of us here... and yes, this is one of my daily drivers... not a track toy...
I wouldn't sell mine either; nor was that my point.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey

DDP, what evidence do you have that a one piece flange is a problem?

Personal experience having sealing issues with headers. Not on the 944, and not specifically with your header, but I've had exhaust leaks that turned out to be the one piece flange. It depends on the thickness of flange used, but you won't see this happen to an individual flanged header. Not to mention the factory did it individually as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

If you still have them, send them to me. I'll test them and then everybody can wonder no more.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Dan just sent me a picture of my stock 2-3 disassembled:
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Nasty crack man. Whats the size on the down pipe? Factory or 3"?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About as bad as it gets! All things considered, replacement is your best option. Bet you felt that through the firewall!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yikes, no wonder you couldn't make boost last time you had it out!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
951Doc
Advanced

I am very happy with my LR headers - 1 year and counting.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 PM
CPR
Race Director

When a vendor produces a QUALITY header with DYNO PROVEN gains for $500 then I'll buy two sets. Hell...I bet they could sell 50 sets in a week for starters.

Until then, stock is just fine and we can meet at VIR to prove it
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CPR
When a vendor produces a QUALITY header with DYNO PROVEN gains for $500 then I'll buy two sets. Hell...I bet they could sell 50 sets in a week for starters.

Until then, stock is just fine and we can meet at VIR to prove it
Well, it is unless it's cracked. If it is, the choice are very limited, thus this thread.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by ehall
Well, it is unless it's cracked. If it is, the choice are very limited, thus this thread.
...and I would still ****** up a used 951 header for $100 from Flea-bay instead of paying $1,000+++ for a header that nets what? 10hp?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I agree with materials quality issue that was discussed, I've done some turbo manifolds for guys that bought their own tubing on ebay etc like verocious for one that was very poor quality. It was a pain to weld in comparison to using material from burns or stainless works. Have any of you guys ever used solarflux for back purging as opposed to using gas? I've been using it for a few years now with great sucess
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CPR
...and I would still ****** up a used 951 header for $100 from Flea-bay instead of paying $1,000+++ for a header that nets what? 10hp?
Ah...I misuderstood your point. Yep. I agree.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Of course the other vendors will bash the OBX setup. It's a 1/3 the cost of theirs and severly dampens their sales if everyone jumps on the bandwagon and buys OBX. When I started buying products and plannin my car, I was for sure going with a nice 4-1 V-Band with all the bells and whistles...but at 2,000? No thanks. I've finally realized that sometimes, you get what you pay for is a f*clef up statement. If it was an entirely true statement, we'd gain more then 10whp from a 2,000 dollar header set up (not counting the rest of the exhaust).

I'll be getting the OBX for my 951 and my TBSS. The long tube OBX for my TBSS run about 475 with an off road y-pipe (only 2.5" though). Kook long tubes and off road Y (3", however) would run me $1200. And they're nearly identical designs. I know a lot of TBSS guys and Vette guys running OBX headers with nothing but satisfied results. Sure, a 2.5" down pipe or y pipe sucks, however, with the money saved, we can then buy the "better" vendors 3" product and still save money. Maybe it's me, but I find it just a little ludacris to spend close to $4500 on an exhaust system for my 10k car. I've got better **** to buy.

Quick Reply: Ebay Headers: I am the guinea pig