Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice needed- preparing for turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:51 PM
LS1951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed- preparing for turbo upgrade

Hey guys, just got my Vitesse stage 3R kit! Before I start on the turbo install I would like to have most of the extras covered so that I can minimize down time. I plan to order the following parts before I get started:

-LR venturi delete kit w/intake manifold gaskets
-New fuel lines (will be running E85)
-Dual port wastegate

Anything I'm missing? Should I order new O ring seals for the water/oil lines? How about exhaust gaskets?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about an exhaust system?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-A 3-4 inch exhaust to flow all that extra air. (okay, not a "necessity," but you know you want it)
-3bar/adj FPR? (dunno what V3R requires/comes with)
-Larger Injectors (72-83 lb/hr)
-Fuel pump (Bosch 044 or Walboro GSL 392)
-WBO2 for fine tuning of the piggy back
-Boost Controller

Dunno what all you have/John has set you up with, but I would consider all of the above "required" if you want to be on the safe side of everything/do the job right, once, the correct way.

For the misc engine parts, I'd tear the old turbo out and assess from there. You don't want to order a bunch of parts you don't really need (unless you're me, where I'd order every gasket/rubber bit/hose, but I also have suuuuper OCD). It's impossible to tell what needs replaced without breaking into it.

I'm sure others will have some better suggestions than me.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:21 PM
LS1951
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I do have all of the supporting mods- exhaust, injectors etc.

I guess I'll just have to tear into it and see how the gaskets and misc hoses/lines look. I assume most of the exhaust gaskets are reusable if they're in good shape?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Ah, okay. You're already $xxxx deep, and if you're like me and only want to do a job once, I'd spring for the gaskets, nuts, bolts, studs, whatever could possibly break/already be broken. If only for piece of mind knowing that if they are boogered up I won't have to wait 2-3 days for them to come in the mail, and it's a nice feeling to have a section of the car basically new/better than now. No "what ifs" when you're out beating on the car, if you know what I mean.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
LS1951
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm with you. That seems like a solid plan. I found the turbo hardware kit on Rennbay for only $42 http://www.rennbay.com/exhaust-turbo...all-p-145.html

Is there a turbo gasket kit available or do I need to order each one individually? This stuff sure adds up quick!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM
2bridges
Drifting

this would also be the time to decide if you want to run wet or dry turbo.
Dry cleans up a whole ton of garbage underhood. Requires a new hose and NA coolant tank.

Also the time to consider engine mounts if you are on old ones.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:05 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having just done this, I would recommend doing the ICV and ALL vacuum lines as well.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CPR
Having just done this, I would recommend doing the ICV and ALL vacuum lines as well.
And possibly the ICV stand offs. No clue how the PO managed to shear both in half, but they looked pretty toasted as well. They're inexpensive and another rubber bit that lives under the intake.

BMWs got me in the habit of ordering every damn part that had to come off or was near something I had to take off. Friggin plastic parts of E36, E46, and E39s, and suspension bits, and interior bits, and window regulators, and electrical bits, and and and... I'll be glad when BMWs are out of my life
Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you start - COVER THE HOLE IN THE BELL HOUSING, now....
while you're in there -
AOS o-rings, since the intake and turbo will be out of the way, PITA source of oil leaks.
Time to check your S&R sensors, if wires are cracking, time to replace - be carefull with the bolts and pay attention to where the shim goes - great lighting helps here.

check the indexing of the turbo, check it before mounting it, get it close, wrenches to lock it down and time for new turbo mounting bolts if you can work that in.

I too am a fan of dry turbos, cleans up a whole lot of $hit, frees up working on belts, front seals, etc, just keep clean oil

hoses - intake is off, the back heater hoses and the neck out of the head are accessible, don't miss the opportunity, as well as the heater valve if you need it - again, cheap stuff with good access at the time.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....and a new TPS if yours is original.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 PM
LS1951
Rennlist Member

Great info guys! Keep it coming.

I've been thinking about running the turbo dry. I understand that I will need a N/A coolant tank but what else is required? Do I simply cap off the water pump and Turbo inlet/outlet?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1951
Great info guys! Keep it coming.

I've been thinking about running the turbo dry. I understand that I will need a N/A coolant tank but what else is required? Do I simply cap off the water pump and Turbo inlet/outlet?
you basically just need an NA upper radiator hose, a WP block off and an NA tank.

Then you can ditch all the turbo cooling pump, plumbing crap, the hard line crosover pipe, etc,etc
Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

already done some kind of oil cooler upgrade?

Quick Reply: Advice needed- preparing for turbo upgrade