Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fire wall port for additional wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fire wall port for additional wiring

I was looking for something to use as a pass through for my wires and vaccum lines through that would be easier to work with. I had ran my additional wiring through the DME harness boot. It worked fine until I had had to pull the harness, when we pulled the engine, then it was a pain. I have alot of extra wiring, for the Aux fuse block,boost solenoid, vaccum and boost lines, wideband wires,ect...

I really did not find anything that I really liked, I found this and I think it will fit my needs.

http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/cat...Wall-Wire-Port

I will mount in the engine bay, and secure with the 4 mounting bolts from the cabin side of the firewall.

It is kind of neat, because when mounted the front cover is secured by two screws, and when opened, it will allow more ability to direct the boostline or wiring. Plus it gives room for a nice bend of vaccum lines w/o pinching. Also, I should be able to use the acess to seal from engine fumes.

From the inside the port is behind the firewall rubber insulation, which helps as well.

I painted it black and temp mounted w/ double sided tape to photograph. I will permantly mount when engine bay is painted.\\

Hope it helps if someone was looking for something similar.
Attached Images    
Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Right by the headers? Um...not a good place for wires....
Are you using a factory wiring harness? If not then consider a fire wall mounted connector (you can even do that with a factory harness but you would have to cut it up).
Old 07-25-2010, 10:57 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the wires comingt from the DME boot before, I would not think that this location would be that much hotter.Being about 4 inches way. Also using TXL and GXL wiring good to 125C, that is wrapped in a fiberglass sleeving. Hopefully also, the White Lightning coating will help as well.

I guess I will try it out and see. Worst thing I would have to move them. with the full dash and glovebox. There is not much room to get at comfortably.

Thanks for the heads up, I will watch

Steve
Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 514 Posts

not sure if this is on the late cars, but on my car, next to the battery about 4 inches towards the driver's side on the upright portion of firewall below the windshield there are 2 holes maybe 13mm in diameter, no idea what they were for but they sat open for 24 years until i sealed them and ran some wires through. you can access them from the inside by pulling out the glovebox.

Quick Reply: Fire wall port for additional wiring