Race Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Poland
Well, good enough for me lol. 110/93 mix it is....
That's not going to do much. Your car has a tank that holds approximately 20 gallons. 15% 110 to 85% 93 isn't doing much at all.
You'be safer running it down to the empty light and then running just the 110 with what's left in the tank.
BTW, is this LEADED gas? If so ruh roh. Your cat and O2 sensor will not be pleased!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
That's not going to do much. Your car has a tank that holds approximately 20 gallons. 15% 110 to 85% 93 isn't doing much at all.
You'be safer running it down to the empty light and then running just the 110 with what's left in the tank.
BTW, is this LEADED gas? If so ruh roh. Your cat and O2 sensor will not be pleased!
I have no cat. Straight pipe until the muffler. Atmospheric wastegate pipe. Yes, it is leaded gas. What are the issues an unhappy O2 sensor can cause?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:18 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Lead poisons the O2 sensor .. not sure how quickly ..what's the story with your chips and FQR maps ?..
i would go for about 7 gallons of it per tank and 20 psi that's 4 tanks that should be just enough to get a head gasket broken or you arrested...
there is some one third per tank should bump you up to around 98oct.. and a few of us have run 20+psi on that juice... but it is bit of a gamble ... do a search and make one of those knock counter lights .. that should put a little safety in the game ..
Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I'd run a 50/50 if I was you. 5 gallons 93 and 5 of 110. No need for more than 10 gallons in there when you really wanna push it. That would put you right about 100 octane. To be safe, for every 3 octane you can run 2 more psi, roughly. So you can run about 4 more psi = 21psi.

Leaded will do harm to the O2 but I used to run a mix of 104 leaded back in the day and no issues. I think if you run a mix and not 100% and don't run it all the time, you will be ok.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think anyone mentioned that the 110 is leaded and will ruin your oxygen sensors. I also mix 110 with 93/94 for my race gas which dilutes the 110 enough to preserve the sensors. Be careful on the mix to ensure a minimum of 50% 93/94.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

How long has the gas been sitting around? I am inferring from your post, that it may be somewhat old?

As far as running leaded fuel - its not the end of the world if you wreck the stock O2 sensor. If you have a wideband O2, then you may want to be more concerned about it. But it will take some time for the lead build up to damage it.

There is also some concern with long term use, that the same lead deposits will build up on the turbine vanes.

Depending on boost level and ignition advance, there are benefits to running the real high octane. For track cars, it never hurts to run the higher octane, and many may require it.

Ive switched over to running the 110 leaded from 100 unleaded. Ironically, the 110 leaded is easier to find than the 100 unleaded, and a hair cheaper. And I also want the higher octane on hot days.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Ok, it seems that everyone has mixed opinions on this. My wideband O2 sensor is more of a concern. I wont be running this permanently, it's just a solution to get rid of the race fuel. After this is gone, then no more. Now, if my wideband sensor does get lead poisoned, is this something that can just be cleaned off, or would it require replacement? Also, I looked today, and they are 5 gallon jugs, not 10. So I've only got about a tank worth of the stuff. This isn't near enough to really cause damage is it?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Once coated - they are wrecked. Cant say for sure how much it takes to ruin an O2 sensor. I ran maybe 10 gallons through my car with the wideband O2 installed and had no effect. My guess is that it takes quite a bit, and that a single tank would not be enough.

With long term use, you would see it fouling plugs and build up on valves too, but that takes a lot of miles.

If youre just going to run the 15 gallons to get rid of it, and not use it on a consisitent basis - go ahead, use it up. It wont be enough to hurt the O2 or anything else. If the gas is much more than a year old, I would mix it with fresh pump gas, just in case it has degraded significantly over time.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Once coated - they are wrecked. Cant say for sure how much it takes to ruin an O2 sensor. I ran maybe 10 gallons through my car with the wideband O2 installed and had no effect. My guess is that it takes quite a bit, and that a single tank would not be enough.

With long term use, you would see it fouling plugs and build up on valves too, but that takes a lot of miles.

If youre just going to run the 15 gallons to get rid of it, and not use it on a consisitent basis - go ahead, use it up. It wont be enough to hurt the O2 or anything else. If the gas is much more than a year old, I would mix it with fresh pump gas, just in case it has degraded significantly over time.
The gas is only about 4 or 5 months old. So it should be good to run straight. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Race Gas