Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car is not starting upright, shuts down after giving it gas...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is not starting upright, shuts down after giving it gas...

The last fews days my car has been acting funny, since it rained heavily, it misfires at lights when I'm idling and the idle goes down to like 700rpm (have it set to 1,100), gotta give it gas to go back againand not shut off. When I give it gas to go,it hesitates and bucks, and backfires a little, I checked the distributor cap, rotor and it's running sluggish, I got a new fuel filter 2 months ago and I pulled out the plugs today, they looked fine with no carbon deposits, MAF wiring is dry, so is the TPS and Coil, what else can it be? Getting impatient....
Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the water enter? Was it from a flood situation or through the sunroff? Did it come through the fierwall, via the battery area?
Have you pulled the DME box and checked it for water yet?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Yea, I pulled the carpet out, the whole panel was bone dry, took the ears off and blew some of that high pressure spray all over the motherboard as you mentioned everything looked fine, the water came in through the ground since the side of the doors were wet when I opened them... I'm thinking it may be the FPR, I've had it over four years now...
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

FPR doesn't jibe. This started after getting wet, yes?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Yes, it started, but it hasn't run fine since and I have to turn it 5 times to start in the morning, and if I give it gas it shuts off. Based on the symptons in Clark's Garage all the signs point to the FPR, I'm going to take it to my tech tomorrow so he can troubleshoot it and see what happens...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Doubt it's even remotely the FPR. It's electrical, or you got water in the gas. Don't pay for and change a component until you've had a good long hot drive in the car...like this weekend.

Put some octane boost crap in it and some techron. My money says you have water in some area below the high flood level, which is far below your FPR, unless this was a much worse flood than you reported.
A long hot drive will evaporate most of the risidual water. Do that before paying for anything.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 AM
LFA951
Drifting

I drove it to work yesterday and it ran the same, plus I added gas and it made no difference, pulled out the plugs, they looked fine, don't know what else to do, going to my guy know, I'lllet you know what it was...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM
LFA951
Drifting

I'm here at my tech's shop in Miami and he tested the TPS, drove without it, no difference, he then moved the reference sensors with the engine on and it cut out, problem found, no he has to fix them....

Quick Reply: Car is not starting upright, shuts down after giving it gas...