Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Started on my clutch replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Started on my clutch replacement...

1 piece crossover is a pain in the ***. Put in about 4-5 working hours, haven't been able to drop the crossover yet, although I am working slowly. The bottom two bolts on the exhaust manifold flange, I can't seem to get them out. I'm going to hit the hardware store tomorrow to see what extensions they've got that can help me out. I don't have any flexible ones or curved, so that's probably my issue, but if y'all have any advice, let me know!

Here's the two bolts i can't get to:

I decided to just leave those two for now, and undo the turbo pipe... got 3 of the 4 bolts off, the last one has some sort of weld on it or something... the bottom right bolt, if looking at it from the driver side. Here's a pic

zoomed out - gold bosch thing is the o2 sensor.

I'm not sure what to do a bout that.... couldn't really fit a wrench or socket in there, the spacing and bend of the pipe blocks me, again, probably don't have the right extension etc... should i just try to turn the bolt and break that weld?

and here's a pic of the 1 piece crossover, just in case someone wants to see what a 1 piece looks like:

that gold heat shield thing on the side going up to the manifold is loose, is it supposed to be? Maybe that's the cause of my rattle? And yes, i know my right sway bar bushing is broke.

Oh and I pulled the oil dipstick guide out, by accident, as I was removing the brake cylinder heat shield. Is there some sort of o-ring or something that's supposed to go on it to make it snug?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 AM
60Driver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have done this already, but clarks-garage offers some good information on what you're doing.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

i've read over clarks-garage and the porsche service manual. using paragon's write up though, just because it was easier to print just one article from them than several different pages from clarks. it sounds so easy in writing. Again, i'm sure the exhaust bolts are due to the wrong set of tools, but the turbo bolt has me going "wtf?"
Old 06-22-2010, 01:43 AM
Tayloray
Instructor

I just took mine out a few days ago, a good extension, and a swivel.

My whole process has been a bitch though. just got the rear supension bolt out. and dropping the suspension tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Did you have an odd weld spot on your turbo bolt? I'm not sure I'll be able to stick in wrench or anything to turn that bolt.. and there's really no room for me to dremel it or something... I miss working on my Camaro.. so much more space.

edit - and does the entire exhaust system, back to the tailpipe, need to be dropped? or just the crossover pipe?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
Did you have an odd weld spot on your turbo bolt? I'm not sure I'll be able to stick in wrench or anything to turn that bolt.. and there's really no room for me to dremel it or something... I miss working on my Camaro.. so much more space.

edit - and does the entire exhaust system, back to the tailpipe, need to be dropped? or just the crossover pipe?
It's the nut that is welded (cue Chris White ) not the bolt. So you only need to get to the bolt and undo it. Although it's tricky to get to..
Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM
box.id.au
1st Gear

and does the entire exhaust system, back to the tailpipe, need to be dropped? or just the crossover pipe?
Since you will need to drop the gearbox to get the torque tube out of the way, the exhaust does need to come off. From memory its only four hangers actually holding it on so its nice and easy to remove, plus it leave a lot more room to work under the car afterwards
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

2 nuts you cant get to, use a swivel socket available at any Sears... buy the set, they are great...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...o=7&blockType=
$55, it will be the best $55 you can spend, as you will find yourself using them in all kinds of places!

Welded nut on the crosover to turbo, the bolt head is on the other side, you will see the bolthead... it just takes some patience.. I got to mine from below, reach up, and you can pivot a wrench around on it, but good luck watching while you are doing it!

Pull the entire exhaust from there back as one piece, it will be more effort up front, but save you in the long run, Also replace all the exhaust hardware you remove, You will thank yourself next time you have to pull them.. IIRC Laret has a 2 piece crosover FS right now!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Slightly OT, but kudos John. I was up all night last night, not having any fun at work. Then I see your quote from Another Satisfied Customer to ehall. I've been chuckling for 3 minutes strait over that thread, and specifically that post.

Gearwrench makes a 10pc set for 70 or so. google "gearwrench 80565" If you're on an extreme budget, it might hurt a little, but fasteners that seemed impossible are much easier.

Last edited by Tedro951; 06-22-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Add tools
Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Tayloray
Instructor

Mine were probably the easiest part of the process. now i'm still stuck on dropping the rear as two bolts got stuck. and turns out i have to weld, or replace my bellhousing because it has huge cracks in it. so i've gotten to walk to work the past two weeks. this is getting old.

And i just unbolted mine at the downpipe, no need to remove the crossover.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Slightly OT, but kudos John. I was up all night last night, not having any fun at work. Then I see your quote from Another Satisfied Customer to ehall. I've been chuckling for 3 minutes strait over that thread, and specifically that post.

Gearwrench makes a 10pc set for 70 or so. google "gearwrench 80565" If you're on an extreme budget, it might hurt a little, but fasteners that seemed impossible are much easier.
You should read his other thread, where a mystery person (not in the thread, but apparently via PM as they didn't want to get publicly flamed) told him turbo running gear into N/A chassis is an easy thing to do... Oh we all had good laughs over that one too!

Sorry for the OT, back to thread...
Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Flex head rachet with a 15mm socket will break that bolt loose on the crossover pipe (with the welded nut....leave that alone). Then you can use a 1/4" ratchet with a 15mm socket, or a 15mm box end wrench with a curve in it (either use a moon wrench, or take a cheapo wrench, heat it a bit, and put a curve in the handle). Easy as pie.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 PM
buxton
Racer

I left my one piece crossover on when we did the clutch. Had to loosen the bolts on the engine cradle to lower the engine a little to get to everything but I was replacing the tt at the same time so the whole rear end had to come out. I think it is possible to do a clutch without taking it off.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

duly noted. thanks for the advice on tools, i'm going to go buy a set tomorrow before i begin day 2.

and i can't believe i didn't realize that the nut thing. now i'm not sure if the other ones were like that or not... cause i definitely took out the nut + bolt on the others lol.

edit - what else should i do while i've got everything apart? I'm sort of on a budget, don't have too much to spend... but i've heard people say to repack CV joints (i assume just filling them with CV joint grease?), transmission mount.... does flywheel need resurfacing? I got the hardware kit frm lindsey, so all the small pilot bearing, tob, etc will be changed. what's the part# for the exhaust gaskets that need to be replaced?

actually, just saw that tranny mounts are 220? think ill hold off on that unless it's damaged.

Last edited by onspeed; 06-22-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by onspeed
duly noted. thanks for the advice on tools, i'm going to go buy a set tomorrow before i begin day 2.

and i can't believe i didn't realize that the nut thing. now i'm not sure if the other ones were like that or not... cause i definitely took out the nut + bolt on the others lol.

edit - what else should i do while i've got everything apart? I'm sort of on a budget, don't have too much to spend... but i've heard people say to repack CV joints (i assume just filling them with CV joint grease?), transmission mount.... does flywheel need resurfacing? I got the hardware kit frm lindsey, so all the small pilot bearing, tob, etc will be changed. what's the part# for the exhaust gaskets that need to be replaced?

actually, just saw that tranny mounts are 220? think ill hold off on that unless it's damaged.
You are not the first one to not realize it... the other 3 ARE nut and bolt, lower aft is just a bolt as the nut is welded in place (space for a bolt in there?)...

CV repack, Yes, while you have them out, tear them apart, clean them up real well, and repack them.... you will be amazed at how quiet and smooth they become!

Trans mount, if need be, or polyeurethane it in place, search on here as there have been several writeups... cheap alternative!

17, 7, 21, 25, 24

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...ystem-944turbo

all depending on exactly what you remove!

Cheaper here:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item9

AND here:
http://www.paragon-products.com/category_s/167.htm

and also available from Lindsey :
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Part...WARESEALS.html

Lindsey has a solid mount available for $149, but I don't recommend it on a street car as it is HELLA noisy.....Yes I have one on my 944, next time the trans comes out, so does the solid mount!

Quick Reply: Started on my clutch replacement...