Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice request - Building a 240hp 240tq race motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using a double stock oil cooler setup which appears to be pretty effective. Recomendations on the radiator and windage tray? How would you mod the turbo?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Do the rules dictate a MAX of 240/240? Keeping the torque below 240 without killing the power curve requires some work.

What components are you allowed to run: EBC? PiggyBack?..

The HP/TQ numbers are no problem, even with a stock turbo. However, I would use a modified turbo, so you can get the flow needed at a lower boost and a cooler charge. A larger Intercooler will help if the stock IC is getting heat soaked.

A baffled oil pan, a good Oil cooling system will help greatly. Anything you can do to keep the oil pressure from dropping helps (cooler oil helps, accusump as a backup....).
A good working stock cooling system will be fine at the power levels you are after.

On non modified internals, keeping the RPMs below 6600RPM helps greatly.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off - I am nearly done with the splitter package!

You can do anything you want in NASA, there is no limit for horsepower, this is merely my target based on my weight.

I think I have oil cooling under control with the dual stock units, they are pretty effective with proper ducting.

How do you modify the turbo?

Keeping the RPMs that low is a lot to ask.

Which babble?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
First off - I am nearly done with the splitter package!

You can do anything you want in NASA, there is no limit for horsepower, this is merely my target based on my weight.

I think I have oil cooling under control with the dual stock units, they are pretty effective with proper ducting.

How do you modify the turbo?

Keeping the RPMs that low is a lot to ask.

Which babble?
Since you not restricted to what you can use, there are ways to get a wide area under the power curve without going over your power limit.

The higher RPMs you run, the hotter things get! Add the heavy stock components and the hydraulic lifters, it adds up. If you have a nice torque curve, you wouldn't need to run too high of a RPM, as when you shift you can fall in the "sweet" spot. Of course, running the engine to RPMs higher than 6600 every now and then is not a problem. I just prefer to not run it in the upper 6000s for a extended period. A dyno chart will reveal the sweet spot and the usable upper RPM. Another area you can address is gearing!

As far as turbo mods, there are many options. There is no one single turbo that meets everyone's requirements. You can email me off line if you want to discuss further.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tial wastegate (you know I've been bugging ya about this one for awhile hehe)
MBC which you already have or a simple EBC.
Vitesse MAF since your in NASA it's worth getting simply for the nice software.
and a WBO2 for logging so we know what's going on. Getting your EGT gauge working right will be a help also.
A more efficient turbo would certainly help longevity. I'll talk to you about that when I head out there next week.

Quick Reply: Advice request - Building a 240hp 240tq race motor