Apexi AVC-R What Say Ye?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apexi AVC-R What Say Ye?

What say ye regarding the APEXI AVC-R?

Not concerned with ease of use or setup, just over all performance...

What say ye all?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:12 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

search for OZn951 or something liek that if i am not mistaken he made a whole website regarding all u need to know on install and using a this on a 951
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by reno808
search for OZn951 or something liek that if i am not mistaken he made a whole website regarding all u need to know on install and using a this on a 951
Found him.. good info...

http://www.oz951.com/public/mods.htm

looking for any users out there, as he does caution that as conditions change (even when going to teh dyno) it can and will allow overboost...
Old 06-08-2010, 04:38 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

I have it, I enjoy it and it works very well

The dyno bit is true you just need to keep an eye on it, and tune a little on street with a passanger

Last edited by jasonlp; 06-08-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

waste of money, had one for over 2 years, the only good thing about it is i got over 3/4 of my money back when i pissed it off. It was simply not reliable. and when racing cars thats not a good thing
Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JET951
waste of money, had one for over 2 years, the only good thing about it is i got over 3/4 of my money back when i pissed it off. It was simply not reliable. and when racing cars thats not a good thing
What did you replace it with?

MBC? I have that now, and am less than impressed with it...

Does anyone recommend an alternative?

Yes I have searched... and searched, and searched... apparently no tuning mag has said a word about them since early last year (and their site is broken) other than that, no too much current info...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

It takes A LOT of initial finessing but mines all worked out for 2 and half track seasons now..

The Apex'I site works fine.. http://www.apexi-usa.com/
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AEM TruBoost looks interesting/easy to use. Blitz Dual SBC Spec-R is also supposed to be pretty good for the price.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I bought one because it could be programmed by gear, etc. Maybe there was something wrong with mine, but I disliked it so much I ended up pulling it out and re-installing my original Profec B. The apexi was much too loud (clicking), the programming/learning was a nightmare, and it looked like something out of Fast and Furiour Tokyo Drift. I know some good tuners who like them, however, because of the control they give over the boost curve, etc. , so take my comments with a grain of salt.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jasonlp
It takes A LOT of initial finessing but mines all worked out for 2 and half track seasons now..

The Apex'I site works fine.. http://www.apexi-usa.com/
not the Apexi site... a tuner mag did a comparison of them all side by side on the same car.... an only their initial page loads, everything else (analysis of the EBCs) is 404 broken link...

http://www.modified.com/tech/0207scc...rol/index.html
Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

That's pretty much it.. Those who stuck it out and kept it and those who wanted to take it out back and end its life sold them =D

The self learning feature doesn't work as it doesn't have the right pulse for our speedo. Basically you end up turning all that fancy stuff off and just programming what boost you want for what rpm and as well as having it learn what gear your in so that you can change the start duty and have a little bit of overshoot at the beginning of the gear change as it evens back out.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 PM
JET951
Drifting

Your right John,
We went back to the turbonetics MBC(or black ****) its hooked up to the wastgate in dual port mode. if you hook them up in single port mode they let the wastegate creep like the original system.

I was skeptical going back to the MBC after trying some different EBCs but i cant fault it. it hits the exact amount of boost in each gear, dead accurate every time.

It makes as much boost as the turbo will allow as fast as it will allow it. A lot of guys talk of the EBC's being able to change boost depending on gear or the ramp of the boost onset. On my car i want maximum boost in each gear as quickly as i can get it. the MBC gives me this. If i wanted for some reason(cant think of why) to limit my boost in lower gears or delay the oost onset(add lag) then i would go back to a EBC

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
What did you replace it with?

MBC? I have that now, and am less than impressed with it...

Does anyone recommend an alternative?

Yes I have searched... and searched, and searched... apparently no tuning mag has said a word about them since early last year (and their site is broken) other than that, no too much current info...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jasonlp
That's pretty much it.. Those who stuck it out and kept it and those who wanted to take it out back and end its life sold them =D
I will have to fully retune my car when I am done with it, so the "initial finesse" part I don't mind...

I am just trying to sort out the marketing from the real world...

Too many different options out there..and too little objectivity in side by side reviews...

What I can say absolutely is of the parts I am removing and plan on selling, my MBC will be going in the trash... it is junk, has been junk, and will always be junk in my mind... I should have gone EBC when I installed the MBC... but I figured I would give the MBC a try.. I did, It sucks... time to move on...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 PM
JET951
Drifting

what about the MBC in your car do you not like? what brand do you have and how is it setup?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Your right John,
We went back to the turbonetics MBC(or black ****) its hooked up to the wastgate in dual port mode. if you hook them up in single port mode they let the wastegate creep like the original system.

I was skeptical going back to the MBC after trying some different EBCs but i cant fault it. it hits the exact amount of boost in each gear, dead accurate every time.

It makes as much boost as the turbo will allow as fast as it will allow it. A lot of guys talk of the EBC's being able to change boost depending on gear or the ramp of the boost onset. On my car i want maximum boost in each gear as quickly as i can get it. the MBC gives me this. If i wanted for some reason(cant think of why) to limit my boost in lower gears or delay the oost onset(add lag) then i would go back to a EBC
I have the MBC now, and HATE it... I have had to reset it several times... never the same results from time to time... creep, creep creep it does... but then I do drive my car more than the average bear.. (1000 miles a week)...

I have a black **** and it is about as consistent as an old mans bladder control! (NOT A FAULT OF THE SETUP, JUST A POS IMHO)

I do still have the stock WG though..but it has been OK, not great but OK to me... the black **** MBC on the other hand... meh

Quick Reply: Apexi AVC-R What Say Ye?