Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Apexi AVC-R What Say Ye?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My friend used one. He was very unhappy with the complexity and hassle to program it . In the end he ran off with my Profec type S. He also claimed it would cause boost spikes but that may have been him not knowing how to adjust it.

Last edited by Adonay; 06-09-2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Wrong profec listed was a type S not B
Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Those who have the Vitesse MAF and PB can use his boost control, and program w/ the PB. I installed it but never set it up.

It is for sale actually as well, since I am going to a standalone that came w/ the engine.

Curious if anyone has used it and how it worked?

Steve
Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the best EBC I ever used, no issues at all. Love it.

http://www.racingworks.com/blitz_boo...ler_sbc_id.htm
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The performance is related to the set up, the Apexi is not what you would call intuitive, mine performed great once I finally worked out the peculiarities, it took a while to control the overboosting.It got stolen soon after that, replaced it with a HKS EVC, it was more reliable boost wise, but still had a few issues setting it up.I use motec now, but even that is idiosyncratic, seems to be the nature of electronc control, it gives more control, but it is a balancing act with the parameters.

You really should upgrade or change your wastegate for best results.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Before replacing anything else you have to upgrade your wastegate. you need a wastegate that you can run in dual port mode(lindsey/tial). you will see creep with both MBC and EBC on your single port wastegate.
Thingo has it spot on.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Synapse 40mm is in the works... along with the rest of the build...

BUT

I hate the MBC, I hate the creep... last I had it full closed to get 15 PSI... started out MUCH different.. just never saw stable use for more than a week or 2 and after using it for a year... it is trashed... and soon to be in the trash... just as soon as I pick out which EBC to go to...

I COULD go with Vitesse, but I am not going with the rest vitesse... I prefer the path less followed, that is to say, I prefer to beat my own path... this is round 3... and round 4 is already in the planing stages
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
This is the best EBC I ever used, no issues at all. Love it.

http://www.racingworks.com/blitz_boo...ler_sbc_id.htm
Not keen on the lack of remote MAP sensor... but I am reading on it... looks interesting, and I have heard good things about the Blitz solenoids...

FWIW, my digital boost gauge uses a remote sensor....
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

What features are you looking for? That might help narrow it down. The original Profec B gives rock solid boost -- turn the **** up for more, down for less.

If you're looking for no fuss no frills, it is on of the best. The originals are hard to find these days, and the newly made remake of the original looks the same but uses a different, cheaper solenoid.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
What features are you looking for? That might help narrow it down. The original Profec B gives rock solid boost -- turn the **** up for more, down for less.

If you're looking for no fuss no frills, it is on of the best. The originals are hard to find these days, and the newly made remake of the original looks the same but uses a different, cheaper solenoid.
From most important to not so much...

Solid boost control
Set it and forget it (like my ronco rotisserie)
Solid boost control
Multi stage

Remote scramble boost
user adjust-ability of remote scramble function
Additional input channels
Remote sensor

ease of install
ease of setup

I mean really, $500 gets crazy bells and whistles... $300 not to many bells and whistles... and $500 to protect $$$$ worth of gear is worth it in the end.... so now it is about user feedback..

I respect all the opinions and input and would like to thank everyone... keep it going, and I WILL let everyone know how it ends up... even if I say hell with it and leave the MBC (not very likely)
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Some things to check John,
make sure the MBC isnt clogged. it can fill up with carbon particles(this goes for a EBC solinoid as well)

My personal opinion is that you are chasing the wrong part. you really do need to get rid of that wastegate. at the moment i have both mine and Patricks(333) running lindsey dual port with turbonetics black **** boost controller in dual port mode. in fact half a turn from min caused about 1 bar boost. good luck finding your problem
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I feel like a profec salesman, but read this comparison article. Profec does do scramble, i just never added the switch. Note this article tested the old original (good) profec with the big bulky (good) dual solenoid.

http://www.wheelsjamaicahost.com/whe...c=56167.0;wap2
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I feel like a profec salesman, but read this comparison article. Profec does do scramble, i just never added the switch. Note this article tested the old original (good) profec with the big bulky (good) dual solenoid.

LMAO..that is the rest of the write up I was referencing in my earlier post... sweet.. now I can read the rest of the article!

Thank you for the link...
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JET951
Some things to check John,
make sure the MBC isnt clogged. it can fill up with carbon particles(this goes for a EBC solinoid as well)

My personal opinion is that you are chasing the wrong part. you really do need to get rid of that wastegate. at the moment i have both mine and Patricks(333) running lindsey dual port with turbonetics black **** boost controller in dual port mode. in fact half a turn from min caused about 1 bar boost. good luck finding your problem
I have totally disassembled the MBC twice thinking it was clogged... nope, clean as a fresh spring day. re-assemble it and go tune it in again...

mine started out at 1/2 turn per PSI... it is now fully closed to yield 15PSI... 2 turns down and it is at spring pressure... I have run it to ground to be the source of my boost hold woes...

Thanks for the good wishes, but I trully believe once I change everything out (from filter to tail pipe..yes everything) I will be better off!

Engine will be out and on its way to CW NLT Monday of next week, and then it is time to get everything on order and paid for so as soon as SOMEONE gets their headers and crossover pulled off I can start putting her back together in her newest form... then it is time to begin working on the 16V 3L buildup...
Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

So, ease of use goes to Profec B or Blitz SBC-ID, options list goes to AVC-R...

Splicing wires into the ECU can get hairy?????? Have they ever installed a full suite Zietronix setup?????

I can see it now, I go with the profec B, and mix the remote up with my stereo remote, and there I am adjusting my stereo while watching taillights disappear in the distance! LMAO.... this would all be simulated of course!

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 06-08-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So, ease of use goes to Profec B or Blitz SBC-ID, options list goes to AVC-R...
Dont forget the type S its even better i think. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gredd...s#ht_500wt_956

Those who have the Vitesse MAF and PB can use his boost control, and program w/ the PB. I installed it but never set it up.

It is for sale actually as well, since I am going to a standalone that came w/ the engine.

Curious if anyone has used it and how it worked?

Steve
It works quite well actually very stable boost but its a bit bothersome to set up the boost maps the first time. You get to ramp the boost as fast as your turbo can spool or limit the ramp and have a slow boost build up, like i had with manual **** type i used before i installed the boost control.

Quick Reply: Apexi AVC-R What Say Ye?