Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Apexi AVC-R What Say Ye?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adonay
Dont forget the type S its even better i think. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gredd...s#ht_500wt_956

Originally Posted by Adonay
It works quite well actually very stable boost but its a bit bothersome to set up the boost maps the first time. You get to ramp the boost as fast as your turbo can spool or limit the ramp and have a slow boost build up, like i had with manual **** type i used before i installed the boost control.
Safe for the elderly or infirm!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine for years and I simply love it. I am selling it but only because the standalone has it built in. It's not why I am praising the AVC-R as you can search old post of me saying good things about it as well. I love the gear based boost, self learning which takes some time to learn, the scramble boost which I used often, and the display where I can see up to 4 different parameters at once. It does take time to learn how to set it up and years later you may still learn in has some new feature you never saw before, lol.

Anyone that complains about it being inaccurate either set it up wrong or has a faulty unit or some other issue. My boost was dead on where I set it and I had a total 4 different boost gauges in my car to compare so I know it was right. I had no room for error and that was why I installed this unit.

I always loved the TPS display and peak mode so I can show people how quick the car is at only 75% throttle, then be able to prove it really was only 75%. hehe.

Originally Posted by jasonlp
That's pretty much it.. Those who stuck it out and kept it and those who wanted to take it out back and end its life sold them =D

The self learning feature doesn't work as it doesn't have the right pulse for our speedo. Basically you end up turning all that fancy stuff off and just programming what boost you want for what rpm and as well as having it learn what gear your in so that you can change the start duty and have a little bit of overshoot at the beginning of the gear change as it evens back out.
What self learning are you talking about? It uses speed vs rpm to determine what gear the car is in for the gear based boost however the self learning boost function does work on our cars just fine. It's not immediate and only starts learning at full throttle so the TPS input definately needs to be hooked up. Once you set your initial boost and duty cycle and started driving, after awhile the numbers on the boost/rpm graph and duty cycle/rpm will change to ** which means it's started learning a new boost curve. I have done this on my car so I know it works. Everything works except the speedo reading will be off and the injector duty cycle needs some massaging to get that working but it can be done.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:02 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree with JET and Thingo. Since changing to the MBC w dpwg it's spot on each and every time, 100%. I find it hard to believe that people have issues with these.

The Apexi promised plenty, and to be fair I never really worked it out properly, but you had to reset it and fiddle quite a lot. Perhaps if you really wanted to tune boost per gear or something like this then try it, but then most people want max boost in each gear efficiently all the time. The one thing that can be useful with EBCs are Rain Map or whatever you want to call it.

EDIT: Reading Stephen's post above I suspect that he could well be right and it was more a case of me not understanding it better. Knowing what boost levels he's used I would imagine that it needed to be spot on!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I agree with JET and Thingo. Since changing to the MBC w dpwg it's spot on each and every time, 100%. I find it hard to believe that people have issues with these.

The Apexi promised plenty, and to be fair I never really worked it out properly, but you had to reset it and fiddle quite a lot. Perhaps if you really wanted to tune boost per gear or something like this then try it, but then most people want max boost in each gear efficiently all the time. The one thing that can be useful with EBCs are Rain Map or whatever you want to call it.

EDIT: Reading Stephen's post above I suspect that he could well be right and it was more a case of me not understanding it better. Knowing what boost levels he's used I would imagine that it needed to be spot on!
The odd part is that I originally had a MBC but there was too much boost variance through different gears. Once set it was spot on...for only that gear. If I set it to 22psi brake in boosting in 3rd, I'd get 1st 16psi, 2nd 19psi, 3rd 22psi, 4th 24psi, 5th 26psi. These aren't exact numbers since it was so long ago but it's close to what I remember. It's possible I had a faulty MBC but at the time it was generally agreed all MBC's did this. I have seen ones since that have not varried as much.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I feel like a profec salesman, but read this comparison article. Profec does do scramble, i just never added the switch. Note this article tested the old original (good) profec with the big bulky (good) dual solenoid.

http://www.wheelsjamaicahost.com/whe...c=56167.0;wap2
seen, heard, installed, tested about a trillion different ones. By far, and without a doubt, Tom is preaching the word. This older Profec with the large solenoid is far and above the most solid and absolutely consistent solenoid out there. Done, close the book. File it.. Nuff said. - guess which one I use, and will continue to use. its also a million years old and works perfect.. just did a search and people are paying big bucks for the older used type 1 over a new typeII .
Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 95ONE
seen, heard, installed, tested about a trillion different ones. By far, and without a doubt, Tom is preaching the word. This older Profec with the large solenoid is far and above the most solid and absolutely consistent solenoid out there. Done, close the book. File it.. Nuff said. - guess which one I use, and will continue to use. its also a million years old and works perfect.. just did a search and people are paying big bucks for the older used type 1 over a new typeII .
This one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JDM-Trust-Greddy...item518ec3d577
Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

John – its your wastegate that’s the problem, not the MBC. If you swap out your wastegate to a dual port your MBC will suddenly start working great!

I have played around with a lot of different electronic boost controllers (I had the Apexi afc-r before it was available in the states) and my final conclusion is that I prefer a continuously variable boost controller. Which means until somebody makes a standalone electronic one I am stuck with either a MBC or a standalone controlled trimable set up.

Being able to dial up any boost setting is great for a street car, you can dial it down for rain, set it for ‘economy’, regular, impress a guest or beat a GT3 setting at will. Of course you need an engine management set up that will keep up with the ****!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:51 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White

Being able to dial up any boost setting is great for a street car, you can dial it down for rain, set it for ‘economy’, regular, impress a guest or beat a GT3 setting at will. Of course you need an engine management set up that will keep up with the ****!
And you already know which setup does what you want. (actually you are the one who gave me the idea).
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Does it get any simpler than this?
You can specify the ramp based on Hi/LOW load and RPM.
Set your boost based on RPM.
If you want, alter your boost based on Air Temp.

Air Temp can be specified as F or C.
Boost can be specified as PSI or BAR.

BTW. For those wanting a standalone EBC, I have a few I'll be putting up for sale shortly.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eniac
Once you set your initial boost and duty cycle and started driving, after awhile the numbers on the boost/rpm graph and duty cycle/rpm will change to ** which means it's started learning a new boost curve. I have done this on my car so I know it works. Everything works except the speedo reading will be off and the injector duty cycle needs some massaging to get that working but it can be done.
I got it to learn, it was never as good as when I dialed it in.. So what's the point of it? I also found it spiked on learning mode..
Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
John – its your wastegate that’s the problem, not the MBC. If you swap out your wastegate to a dual port your MBC will suddenly start working great!

I have played around with a lot of different electronic boost controllers (I had the Apexi afc-r before it was available in the states) and my final conclusion is that I prefer a continuously variable boost controller. Which means until somebody makes a standalone electronic one I am stuck with either a MBC or a standalone controlled trimable set up.

While engine is up with you, the WG and other bits are being put together, hopefully to get everything to merge together at roughly the same time that you have the motor done.. WG, MAF, IC, Exhaust, Fueling, Turbo, and some suspension changes.. not to mention body changes!

Timing of everything is out of my hands, but I know this going in, and have no worries as I WANT the car on the road, but don't NEED the car on teh road.. I have actually been having a ton of fun driving my N/A for the last few weeks, and will be making the fest next week in my N/A!

Audi and truck are the old standbys.. they have yet to let me down (like the p-cars have been know to do once or twice )

I am just conserned that the new engine and new bits will be hampered by the MBC I have had issues with (it seems to change its settings at will, at times needing adjustment more than once a week...)

Originally Posted by fast951
Does it get any simpler than this?
You can specify the ramp based on Hi/LOW load and RPM.
Set your boost based on RPM.
If you want, alter your boost based on Air Temp.

Air Temp can be specified as F or C.
Boost can be specified as PSI or BAR.

BTW. For those wanting a standalone EBC, I have a few I'll be putting up for sale shortly.

Stand alone EBC??? Now you have my attention! BTW, I have not forgotten our conversation, but have gotten busy with work... I will try to make time to get back with you in the near future!

Originally Posted by jasonlp
I got it to learn, it was never as good as when I dialed it in.. So what's the point of it? I also found it spiked on learning mode..
spikes I am not too worried about, I plan to not exceed 10 PSI durring run in on the new motor, and then at some point (point COULD be within the first week as I have been driving over 1000 miles a week for years..) but at some point will raise the boost, and want to be sure teh boost I set is the boost I get...

I am seeing good things regarding the setup and use of the Profec units (Series 1 vs 2 that is) and there seem to be 2 camps for the AVC (either love it or hate it... not too many in between)..

Patience and time I have, ability I feel I have, room for error I can have, but lack of repeatability I hate...

At this point I MIGHT just stick with the MBC and see what it does with the new setup, but I have a feeling it will be gone with a quickness once the car is back running because the FIRST time it spikes or shifts its set point I will rip if from the car using my teeth and throw it out the window....

As for the WG.. I HAD been waiting patiently for what I considdered an elegant solution, but I am done waiting..And the friggin thing is WATER cooled now... I mean a water cooled waste gate??? WTF??

I am big fan of V-Bands, having used them in turbine powered aircraft for years. But I am not willing to wait for something that might not ever materialize.

I HAD considdered Wiggins clamps (having used them on a previous project I worked on, very nice, but dont stick your hands near them) but again, I dont want to wait... maybe I will work on doing them for myself... just need to wrap up my current project list first!

I am 99% settled on the synapse 40mm (more complex, but lack of diaphram, and reputation are apealing). But that is for another thread!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

I was very happy with my Greddy Profec B. Easy to set, use and understand. Made a big difference in performance vs the "black ****" mbc I used to have.

Now that I have the Vitesse stage 2, I'm using John's software and the SMT6 as the ebc.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 for the Blitz SBC-iD.......LOVE IT!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Apexi AVC-R What Say Ye?