Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Header wrap or Ceramic coatings

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

is my thinking correct in that it would be best to coat both inside and outside of the exhaust system? my thinking is that the coating on the outside, probably the shiny stuff, would reflect outside heat and the coating on the inside would keep heat energy contained within the pipes and would mean more heat energy to spin the turbo...or is that overkill?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I talke w/ Swain this Am, I don't think theat they generally coat the inside for turbo applications.

I aked about coating and wapping. Their thought is that might lead to premature failure of the coating due to the fact that the would be more heat retained the coating alone. And it is the expansion of the metal, due to excess heat, that will crack the ceramic.

I am thinking of going w/ the white lightning then spraying a VHT paint on top.

Steve
Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, Swain is local to me and last year I met the owner and got a tour of the facility. The owners are incredibly knowledgeable, have a long racing history, are thermal engineers not just coaters, and will do things the right way. It is quite an operation.

White Lightning is very porous causing it to attract dirt and oil. So if you are concerned with aesthetics, spray it with high-temp paint (as mentioned above) for easier cleaning.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Ha, thanks again

I just looked at your location and saw you were from Rochester. I was born there and moved w/ folks to Baton Rouge when I was 5. Have not been back there since 10, 30 years ago. I have been meaning to get back again some time. Have fond memories from when I lived there.

I think Swain WL = VHT paint is the way I plan to go.

Steve
Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrZ1
Ha, thanks again

I just looked at your location and saw you were from Rochester. I was born there and moved w/ folks to Baton Rouge when I was 5. Have not been back there since 10, 30 years ago. I have been meaning to get back again some time. Have fond memories from when I lived there.

I think Swain WL = VHT paint is the way I plan to go.

Steve
Well it's 85* and humid here today so you would feel right at home! Me....I'm melting, the Baton Rouge heat would kill me.

I tried to get Swain to do a "group buy" for our club but they weren't real keen on the idea. They seem busy enough w/out having to wheel and deal.

Good luck with whatever route you take!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:49 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

OK, boxed up and heading for Swain for the white lightning on the B&B header and SFR crossover. I will spray w/ a VHT paint when I get them back.

I started to pull the down pipe, but was running out of time at the shop I work on my car at, and did not feel like fighting the UR nut.

I was curious on thoughts for the Turbo and downpipe. I already have the downpipe wrapped, and have extra wrap I took from the header and crossover.

So I was thinking of wrapping both, and spraying several coats of the DEI high temp silicone spray to protect from oil.

I was more worried about the header and crossover rusting then catching fire, since thinner and more expensive. Plus more potential for oil as well.

I would think the wrap would help the spool at bit, but really keep the heat away from engine bay.

Comments on wrapping DP and turbo appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-08-2010, 03:14 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
is my thinking correct in that it would be best to coat both inside and outside of the exhaust system? my thinking is that the coating on the outside, probably the shiny stuff, would reflect outside heat and the coating on the inside would keep heat energy contained within the pipes and would mean more heat energy to spin the turbo...or is that overkill?
Coating inside can be very dicey. If it flakes off itll kill the turbo. And give then shape of our exhaust parts its very hard to get a good proper coat that wont flake.

The ceramic coat is just an insulating layer, it isnt "directional". The shinyness is just for looks.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shiners780
FWIW, Swain is local to me and last year I met the owner and got a tour of the facility. The owners are incredibly knowledgeable, have a long racing history, are thermal engineers not just coaters, and will do things the right way. It is quite an operation.

White Lightning is very porous causing it to attract dirt and oil. So if you are concerned with aesthetics, spray it with high-temp paint (as mentioned above) for easier cleaning.
I agree with Jim... Swain is a great place for coatings and track talk. When I first was introduced we must have spent 3 hrs talking racing. They were coating a laser system I designed and manufactured for IPG. They are INCREDIBLY KNOWELDGEABLE, sharp thermal engineers with a rich history in NASCAR and other forms of racing.

Skip the wrap... you really do not want to coat the inside and have fun with the finished product!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:05 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
and smells bad, soaks up oil, gets damp...but other than that its OK!

is there any problems with cracking when using the wrap? i've debated this for years but am afraid of cracking and such so i haven't used it.

also, for those using wrap, is there a noticeable increase in spooling?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI Jet Hot is having a 30% off sale if you ship your stuff out before July 4th

The black 2000 coating is the only coating that will stand the test of time....their sterling silver stuff can't take the heat these engines/exhaust systems generate

Quick Reply: Header wrap or Ceramic coatings