Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Header wrap or Ceramic coatings

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:05 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Header wrap or Ceramic coatings

OK, since my plans have changed from dedicated track/DE car to street/DE car, I would like to hear comments on the subject.

I currently have B&B headers that are wrapped and a 2 piece SFR crossover that is not wrapped or coated. I also plan while engine is out to Insulate the turbo, so looking for suggestions there as well.

I have read many who feel that the wraps can cause fires if oil leaks are significant enough, and others who feel that if the wrap gets wet, it can cause rusting. I was planning to spray w/ the DEI silicone spray

or

Send to Swain and have the White Lighning coating applied.

Looking for anyone who has used both, or had problems or good sucess with either.

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

The wrap only lasts a few years... but it's cheap.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

what about both?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Seems to be 2 schools of thought about wrapping or insulation. Better to keep the heat in but can exacerbate welds cracking, so....not sure....
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well the biggest problem with the engine compartment in the 951 or just about any turbo car is the insane heat that the exhaust header\turbo makes under the hood. All that heat makes a higher ambient temperature that gets sucked into the intake, especially with our typical cone filter. As well as heating up other components melting the aos etc. If i had the ceramic paint available when my new turbo was off i would have sprayed the hot housing/downpipe etc. But afraid its to late for that now maybe next time.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adonay
what about both?
I tried that. You have to be careful to not get fluids on the wrap. I used the blanket material that has a reflective coating that won't soak up fluids but when I pulled the cam tower oil got underneath so tons of smoke. I pulled it all off and just run with ceramic coat now.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever consider Jet Hot 1300 Silver? It will hold at higher temps, and cut down on avg, 180 degrees on exhaust, crossover and downpipe. Not to mention it looks great. Todd Beiswenger at Jet Hot if he still works there.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Open to all suggestions. If ceramic would like one that will hold up w/o flaking and which as the most heat reduction. I was under the impression that the Swain white lightning had the highest rating as it was thicker then the others. I had planned to spray a VHT paint on top, which they are OK with.

I like the idea of no wrap, since the possibilty of oil fire.

SKI how long have yours held up on the track?

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ski
Ever consider Jet Hot 1300 Silver? It will hold at higher temps, and cut down on avg, 180 degrees on exhaust, crossover and downpipe. Not to mention it looks great. Todd Beiswenger at Jet Hot if he still works there.
It looks great but I went with their black coating because of the high turbo temps.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally i would go with the Swaintec. From my reading on 'teh interweb' the general consensus seems to be that Swaintec is a better insulation material and holds up bettter. The flat white is not as flashy as the Jethot coating, but i will say it does look 'business' on my friends car.

Take that for what its worth though, if all the armchair engineers floating around on the internet were as smart as they lead on we would have cold fusion by now.

Cost isnt too bad (in my opinion atleast), headers and crossover coating will run you around $400, probably less.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry, missed that it was on the track car, Jet Hot holds up fine on a street car and looks great. Mine was still in excellent condition when I sold the car, about 8 years on it. Track car, I'd probably go Swaintech but I would further help the heat by wrapping the crossover section under the oil pan and the exhaust by the axle
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
The wrap only lasts a few years... but it's cheap.
and smells bad, soaks up oil, gets damp...but other than that its OK!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Check out Calico coatings...good guys to deal with.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I had mine exhaust side ceramic coated, now about 5 years ago. No cracking or other problems.

Before coating after hard runs at night I could pop the hood and still see the headers a light orange glow. After coating there was no glow.

Also, there is heat disipating coatings that can be used especially on the IC/pipes, etc.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ski
sorry, missed that it was on the track car, Jet Hot holds up fine on a street car and looks great. Mine was still in excellent condition when I sold the car, about 8 years on it. Track car, I'd probably go Swaintech but I would further help the heat by wrapping the crossover section under the oil pan and the exhaust by the axle
Bummer, I like the looks of the other stuff better of course. I think they also do that stuff on the inside as well unlike the higher temp coating which has a texture to it. Such is life.

Quick Reply: Header wrap or Ceramic coatings