Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

camber plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default camber plates

hello, i am gett'in ready to order new suspension from gc and was wondering ...what efx camberplates have on ride quality(noise ..harshness ect)i dont plan to track the car, so what beni's would i get if any??
Old 05-24-2010, 04:13 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

positive location of the top of the strut, the ability to dial in camber (to compensate for wider tires or lowered car, or both)....

I am running monoball inserts in palce of the front end rubber suspension bushings, and have AWESOME resonse and feedback compared to stock, but cannot say what portion of it is directly attributed to the GC camber plates as I did everything at one time "while I was in there"...
Old 05-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you aren't tracking the car then there is no real reason for the camber plates (you wont be fussing with camber settings to and from work), perhaps consider the KLA monoball mounts for a cheaper/sportier option for a street car.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you aren't tracking the car then there is no real reason for the camber plates (you wont be fussing with camber settings to and from work), perhaps consider the KLA monoball mounts for a cheaper/sportier option for a street car.
Now that is good sound advise but my motto is it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
I don't think they have much effect on NHV but I think a TS rides hard anyway, actually mine has the DBJ ADJ Koni's on it with the M030 bars and it actually rides much nicer than it did before.
But no you don't honestly "need" any of this stuff unless your tracking the car.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

lowered, my front tires were hitting the fender even with full negative camber on the eccentric bolt...

now I have wider front tires, and negative front camber care of the plates, and no fender rubbing...

I run on the street... not the track... but I DO have wide *** front tires (225 on 8 inch rims)

rears also needed fender work and inside well work (295s on 9.5 inch rims..)
Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Yep camber plates work for wide tires also but...do you "need"
wide *** front tires (225 on 8 inch rims)

rears also needed fender work and inside well work (295s on 9.5 inch rims..)
that is the question?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by schip43
Yep camber plates work for wide tires also but...do you "need" that is the question?
If you saw the way my wife looked at me when I told her I was buying ANOTHER set of wheels... yes I NEEDED them... NEEDED them to quiet her...

Now I am working on the need for SFR STG1 and 2 piece crossover (already in the works)... and a GT30.... because I already NEED a new engine!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:13 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm more neg to fit your 10" in the front ... so how are your tires wearing john ???
genrally speaking the bigger and wider the rim the less neg static camber is ideal
i believe the camber adjustment on the lower bolt is ample and what is needed up in the top is some castor adjustment .
those lifted tower tops although expensive make a alot of sense as genrally speaking most front shocks are to long for lowered cars ..
Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

If you saw the way my wife looked at me when I told her I was buying ANOTHER set of wheels... yes I NEEDED them... NEEDED them to quiet her...

Now I am working on the need for SFR STG1 and 2 piece crossover (already in the works)... and a GT30.... because I already NEED a new engine!

hmm more neg to fit your 10" in the front ... so how are your tires wearing john ???
genrally speaking the bigger and wider the rim the less neg static camber is ideal
i believe the camber adjustment on the lower bolt is ample and what is needed up in the top is some castor adjustment .
those lifted tower tops although expensive make a alot of sense as genrally speaking most front shocks are to long for lowered cars ..
Old 05-25-2010, 03:21 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i wasn't sujjusting castor for tire clearance but if your clearance issues are in the front half of the guard it could help as it moves the wheel back a touch
i was sujusting caster for castors sake
Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
jc in rb
Racer

So the way things are priced(package wise from ground control) i should prob get the plates and save myself the extra labor charge for instalation (no need to buy upper spring hats and bumpstops and get spring compresser)and just install them myself and only hafta pop for an alinement .So long as they dont introduce too much harshness into my suspension (I dont mind a stiff riding car so long as its not ricky ricer harsh.My current m474 koni's are so far gone that in comparison, my car will still be better rideing overall??....money is soooo tight,wish i could just buy one of every part and add / remove at will just to try different combo's (like fry's electronics for computer parts.........but nooooooo.anyways thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Jc you don't need a coil spring compressor to do the front struts. Just leave the car on the ground and hit the strut not with an impact gun to undo the nut, the weight of the car keeps the spring compressed! Then jack the car up and proceed as usual.

gt sorry guy not meaning to pick on you and you make a legitimate point, it's just not a use of caster I was aware of.
However I have noted a cost of running a lot of caster. IT does make the car more stabile at high speed, I maxed out the caster on my Turbo (S) and I have found that it conflicts with my driving style. My other passion is my 92 Toyota Tercel . FWD built supenshion (turbo swap on the engine stand) I've tend to use the Scandinavian flick when I drive it, I've tired to do that in the 951, and I've found the 951 reluctant to turn out and then back in, the 951 just felt heavy and reluctant to do this.

Well after more analysis I realized that the Tercel has only about 1 degree of caster and while this would certainly be a liability at high speed, the Tercel steering always feels light, in the canyons it's an asset. I don't know if I want to run that little caster on the 951 because I'm not sure of how much of a handful it would make it at speed but I did find it was an interesting observation.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

yeh staking on too much Castor can be trouble with the slower bends as you put more lock on the wheels tend to lay over a bit much .it would realy be nice to gain a degree ech time you shift up a gear also front wheel drives cant handle much Castor generally .
Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Cool that's good to know it also explains why the 951 is such a handful on tight traffic circles... I mean skid pads!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Yeah you really dont need camber plates, don't waste your money dude. Unless you're trying to fit absolutely wild wheels/tires and you already rolled/flared your fenders. Or if you're gonna track your car at a serious level.

Quick Reply: camber plates