Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cold A/C: Is it worth going back to R12?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cabin load/volume of all 944 cars is pretty small compared to the size of the A/C system (thank Porsche for that) and almost any refrigerant you can use will cool the car.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:07 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I'd be interested in seeing what condenser you use, I've considered the same thing.
Well... I am also fitting my SFR FMIC, so I will be working on what will fit in the space allowed, IF a condensor will fit at all (most folks doing the FMIC install are removing their condensor altogether from what I am gathering!)

My final setup will deffinitely be custom to my car...

AWWWWWWWW..
CUZ THATS THE WAY..
(UH HUH, UH HUH)..........

I LIKE IT
(UH HUH, UH HUH)..

DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:15 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
The cabin load/volume of all 944 cars is pretty small compared to the size of the A/C system (thank Porsche for that) and almost any refrigerant you can use will cool the car.
OH, but you are forgetting there is more than area volume to wory about for AC System optimization..

condensor load, evaporator load, fan capacity, vent obstruction.. etc.. etc.. etc...

compared to some other coupes, the internal volume of the car is larger... but the system volume (capacity) is large for the car... using R12... it is close to optimal for an R134 system, BUT the pressures need to be monitored to maintain the system performance over time...

adapting a system to R134 from R12, the condensor, evaporator, expansion valve (or orifice) and compressor should also be looked at for resizing if you want to maintain the over all system performance, otherwise you loose almost 30% of system performance in just the refriogerant swap (IIRC)...

I will also be reducing somewhat the airflow over the condensor, hence my review of the setup for up-sizing... hell ANY AC in the 951 will beat the complete lack of AC I have had for the last 18 months... BUT if I am tearing it apart, I only want to do it once..so it will benefit me to do it right the first time...
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went back to R12, and my car now gets very cold. The AC systems in our cars were designed to run R12. The R134a didn't work well in my car. It barely cooled the interior on a hot day. I haven't measured the temps, but R12 and a new compressor made the AC very cold.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lee101315
Just how cold is the original R12 gas in these cars? I recently serviced my ac with R134a gas, changed the receiver drier and expansion valve, and I'm getting about 42 deg from the center vent at 80 deg ambient.
Is it worth going to r12? How much colder would it get?
I don't think so. I live in Florida. R134 works fine. Make sure the rest of the system is in proper working order.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:10 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Well... I am also fitting my SFR FMIC, so I will be working on what will fit in the space allowed, IF a condensor will fit at all (most folks doing the FMIC install are removing their condensor altogether from what I am gathering!)

My final setup will deffinitely be custom to my car...

AWWWWWWWW..
CUZ THATS THE WAY..
(UH HUH, UH HUH)..........

I LIKE IT
(UH HUH, UH HUH)..

DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO..
YOU SHOULD BE BANNED FOR THE KC REFERENCE!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

I just topped off my AC in the 951 with Freeze 12. There was still R-12 in the system, but not enough to kick on the compressor.
Got a kit off evilBay, put in small can of sealer and oil, then 1 can of freeze 12.
Blows ice cold now.
Freeze 12 mixes fine with R-12 or 134.

* Tip: if pressure not high enough to start compressor, you have to jumper wires at pressure switch, until there is enough in the system.

The remaining cans of freeze 12 will go into the 944
Old 06-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Oh and BTW - a ~40 degree delta is pretty good IMO. That's about all I get on R12 right now.
Concur.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Strange idea just came to mind, anyone ever tried dividing the cabin at the hatch to reduce the volume to be cooled? Like, a removable piece of lexan or something going from the deck to the roof about where the rear seats are...would probably cut a third of the cooled volume of the car.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Don 944 LA
I just topped off my AC in the 951 with Freeze 12. There was still R-12 in the system, but not enough to kick on the compressor.
Got a kit off evilBay, put in small can of sealer and oil, then 1 can of freeze 12.
Blows ice cold now.
Freeze 12 mixes fine with R-12 or 134.

* Tip: if pressure not high enough to start compressor, you have to jumper wires at pressure switch, until there is enough in the system.

The remaining cans of freeze 12 will go into the 944
If you turn on the AC and run the fan at full blast while filling the system, you won't need the jumper, unless you have a serious leak, in which case this point is moot anyway!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have decided to fix my ac system finally. I knew the compressor is trash, so I bought a reman from zims and a drier. My car was never converted to 134 so I bought some freeze 12. When it all comes in I will tell how it works.

Quick Reply: Cold A/C: Is it worth going back to R12?