Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

August 28th - New Jersey 951s (and NY, CT, PA)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:01 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Van, I'm not talking about the dyno. I'm actually skeptical about the hp claimed on these turbos. I know that it probably needs a different DP and crossover since the pressure will be high. The Dyno is low but not much. Van to calibrate that dyno can you do it or do you have to call a third party to calibrate it. I would guess that would cost an arm and a leg.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:48 PM
CRM...
Intermediate

How about we all agree that on that day on that dyno, the numbers are the numbers? I'd love to have the dyno be 30 - 40 hp light. Maybe it is. (

I'm thinking that the most value is to run before and after making changes. It gets better? It will be better anywhere. It needs work... it will show the same regardless.

The stock GT3 was as close to as you will get to a standard calibration. Unfortunately, that is looking somewhere near the right WHP. AFR issues... maybe. Overall, probably about right. Though I might hope it is proven wrong.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CRM...
How about we all agree that on that day on that dyno, the numbers are the numbers? I'd love to have the dyno be 30 - 40 hp light. Maybe it is. (

I'm thinking that the most value is to run before and after making changes. It gets better? It will be better anywhere. It needs work... it will show the same regardless.

The stock GT3 was as close to as you will get to a standard calibration. Unfortunately, that is looking somewhere near the right WHP. AFR issues... maybe. Overall, probably about right. Though I might hope it is proven wrong.
Very true. I personally really don't care about numbers and I think dyno's should only be used to see power upgrades, where you have a base and you build from there.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I think you guys are spot on. It's less important that you have 300 WHP than it is to say, "on Van's dyno, my car is more powerful than yours!"

And, you're right, the real value comes into play when you do before/after runs on the same equipment.

I've been reading up on the Dynojet forum, and apparently the copper sniffer tube is prone to cracking, which will suck in fresh air, which will make it read lean. There are a few other things I can check, too.

As a follow up, I'm working out an agreement with Russell Berry (MaxHP) for him to use my dyno for tuning... So, if you want to get your car spot on, contact him or me!

Quick Reply: August 28th - New Jersey 951s (and NY, CT, PA)