Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project - what started as a Matte Black Wrap fail ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:10 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by future

^ Looking like brand new and that's taken with a flash
That's simply amazing...I'm tempted to ask if you're using something more slick than the average photographer...do you have a flash diffuser?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Mark - how much do the Dual Carrera GTS headlight units weigh? On your web-site write-up, it says 2.5Kg, but I see the shipping weight is 8.0Kg (I can't believe packaging material would be 5.5Kg!)
Can you clarify on weight?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Damn Mark that dash looks brand new and the interior the same! Great work by you guys. Tell me do you think that stuff would work on Lexan or Plexiglass that has swirled or gone milky? What about on clearcoated c/f?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:28 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's simply amazing...I'm tempted to ask if you're using something more slick than the average photographer...do you have a flash diffuser?
The camera Beni uses is a fancy Nikon D90 but he is no pro photographer and he simply points and click with the camera set on auto Below are a couple of pics from a different angle:

Below After the Swissvax Plastic Screen wax is applied using fingers only (prior to this stage, Swissvax Plastic wash was used followed by Swissvax Cleaner Fluid VC which removes micro scratches and nourishes the plastic):

Below Finished from the same angle:

Can you clarify on weight?
Yes the full kit is 2.5kg. The reason we set the weight to 8kg is because our e-commerce system works on dimensional weight so we can get as close to the real cost of shipping as possible so the 8kg is no reflection of the actual weight. The packages weight is approx 4kg

Tell me do you think that stuff would work on Lexan or Plexiglass that has swirled or gone milky? What about on clearcoated c/f?
I will have to ask Beni as I've not tried it myself but the wax WILL definitely help prevent UV damage and create a barrier against scratches from washing. Having said that we do us this very same method on a lot of TVR's and other plastic convertible rear screens:

Below The first application of the Cleaner Fluid VC using an applicator pad (notice how milky the screen is and all of the micro scratches):

Below With the outside's first go finished, we then reverse the process on the inside:

Below The first application complete using the Cleaner Fluid VC (almost there but a second go was required after this picture but you will already notice that most of the micro scratches have been removed - the haze is because the Cleaner Fluid has not yet been completely removed):

Below Now the wax is applied (again by hand and left for 15-20 mins before buffing off with a Micro Fiber cloth):

Below Back to like new again on a car over 15 years old:

^ Patrick - I'll find out about Lexan for you but when I saw your car last year the screen looked very good Can I ask how you are washing it? I trust you are not just going at it with a soapy sponge! Washing a car with a sponge is a simple NO-NO and is the cause of most of the visible swirl scratches in the paintwork.

The problem with a sponge is that as you wash your car, the dirt and grit gets trapped in the sponge and does not wash out even after rinsing. As you then dip rinse the sponge and continue washing, a lot of the grit from the first use then get embedded in the sponge and hence starts causing the scratches (swirls etc). Even using the "2 bucket wash method" with a sponge will not protect against this. You are best using a nice soft towel (ideally about 4 during the wash of the car) with the "2 bucket method" and once the car is finished, place the towels in the washing machine and all remaining grit from the previous wash will come right out. If you want to spend a little more money, then a good Wash Mitt is great and holds more water and suds, plus is easier to use.

For obvious reasons and if you do have to use a sponge - if you drop it on the floor then through it straight in the bin (most don't and I'm a previous criminal to this)
Old 05-08-2010, 03:58 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that sounds cheaper than my old method:

1.wash/wax regularly until scratches appear

2.take to paint shop every 3 years (or so) for respray

Old 05-08-2010, 04:02 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Really like the matte black.

Do you ship to the US? If so, can you please PM me a price on the dual GTS headlights?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2010, 05:07 PM
future
Banned

Well that sounds cheaper than my old method:

1.wash/wax regularly until scratches appear

2.take to paint shop every 3 years (or so) for respray
That's my method also, but being a tight **** I do it every 4 years

you ship to the US? If so, can you please PM me a price on the dual GTS headlights?
Yes and yes I'll drop you a PM now P.S. What splitter is that on your car?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
future
Banned

Hi Gents

A quick and awaited update considering I've had these pics for the last week now

As the project moves forwards at a steady rate of knots and since my last post, Beni has turned his attentions to the engine which required a full top end rebuild plus painting the engine bay to match the stealthy looking exterior before being reinstalled and ready for the finishing touches which will see the project completed hopefully by beginning of next week minus a few detailed bits here and there

Time of the pics:

Below the engine still in place looking all of its 20+ years of dirty age with the cam tower and head off ready for a refresh:

Below engine dropped ready for prep and paint of the engine bay:

Below a quick clean of the suspension etc before moving onto the engine:

Below one past it's best head gasket:

Below and on to some much needed cleaning:

Below fresh paint after prep still looking glossy as it fresh out of the gun:

Below Back on the ramp ready for the engine:

Below the lazy install - in she goes

As the car is a DD, ideas of big power are not on the cards so a new larger Garrett (sorry no specs at this time), adjustable cam gear and steal MAF are all she's seeing for the time being along with a good service after the completed refresh items (gaskets, belts, rollers & pulleys, water pump, skim and clean etc).

Beni has informed me that she’s now running again on the ramp so as soon as I have some pics of her finished and back on all fours I'll be sure to post.

Bodywork wise, she'll get a new CF TRS VII rear spoiler and front splitter but I'm sure there will soon additions

Best regards,
Mark and Beni
Old 06-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job as usual. Did Beni paintings himself?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:02 AM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Amazing!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

That's going to be one nice 'Stealth' daily driver. That's a great space you guys have got too.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

er stealth ??? i guess possibly in some kind of rader terms but its gonna be way to kick **** to be low key ..
Old 06-02-2010, 01:16 PM
future
Banned

Thanks guys

Olli - Yes mate, Ben and dones all the prep and paint ... infact he had done everything including the engine refresh etc

Beni will be driving the car across Spain (top to bottom costal route) from Switzerland early next week so expect some finished pics very shortly.

Quick Reply: Project - what started as a Matte Black Wrap fail ...