Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project - what started as a Matte Black Wrap fail ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Makes me wish I had repainted my car matte black!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW awsome
Old 05-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stunning! Please attach to resume and submit to Porsche.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

There is way too much awesome hiding in those pictures. How about more pics of the other cars
Old 05-05-2010, 03:02 PM
future
Banned

Thanks for all the great comments gents and I will answer accordingly, shortly but first another quick update this time from my side regarding our new 968 Turbo RS Version II rear wing which some will remember the first pictures one of which is the below:

We finally got around to making the first true Carbon Fibre center section version today and below are a couple of pics of the product straight out of the mould with no finish work done to it yet:

^ pics not great I know because if I use the flash the wing looks really shiny for some reason so for now I apologise for my shake hand

For those that are unaware we recently lowered the price of our new TRS wings (both the FRP & CF versions). We have also now taken mould from the original 968 side and rear hatch trim panels so finally this kit can be offered directly to all 944 owners which was not the case before.

I'll be shipping a few CF center sections over to Beni in the coming weeks as soon as we have cleared the backlog of current orders for the wing so that we can take some proper pictures of the wing fitted to both our 968 Turbo S tribute project and also to Beni's red 951.

Best regards to all,
Mark & Beni
Old 05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
barks944
Advanced

You make some real good bits m8! Any clues on what you have to replace KW?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by future
For those that are unaware we recently lowered the price of our new TRS wings (both the FRP & CF versions).
The site only lists one price (790 euros), is that for FRP or CF?

And what are the weights for the two different versions, FRP vs CF?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
future
Banned

^ JDS968 - Yes you are right I need to update the website accordingly which I will do tomorrow

Regards weight, both CF and FRP are approx the same give or take a few grams.

I've just put the FRP version on the Salter kitchen scales and it came in at a very impressive 2620 grams (2.62kg) and that’s for the entire kit including sides, brackets adjuster plates, bolts.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Sick....just........sick. Wow.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:57 PM
future
Banned

I must admit I am quite surprised for just how much luv there is here for matte black paint so I thought I’d help clear up a few myths about the advantages and disadvantages

Firstly (P.S. Elliot – you will like this being a man passionate about detailing) the main reason Beni opted to do the car Matte Black was so that he could try out the new range of Swissvax car care products which have been specially developed for matte finished paintwork and are also designed to work on Carbon Fiber bodywork and parts. Swissvax are among other car manufactures, the OEM status for Lamborghini and as we all have seen over the last few years with recent cars coming out of the Lamborghini factory like the limited addition Reventón, Lamborghini along with many other sports car manufactures are realising the benefits of matte paints and CF products.

The consistency of Matte paint is much thinner than a traditional solid or 2 stage paint system. I’m sure most will at some stage have painted small parts like the windscreen wiper arms with a rattle can of matte or satin black and extremely successfully with a finish which is true to the OEM part(s). I’m also sure most will have used a rattle can of gloss color and found that you are left with a far from perfect finish normally in the form of dry areas (holding the can to far and lack of pressure) or orange peel (can to close, to much paint, atmosphere to warm) the list for paint problems really can go on as the pros will tell us (of which I nor Beni are one), but with good old matte a perfect finish is achieved by an enthusiast in 99% of all cases

Due to the paint being very thin and offering very good coverage, this means that the actual weight of the paint is far less than a tradition glossy finish. The down side is that the rubbing down preparation before paint is actually more intensive as the matte paint will show even the smallest of imperfections which a gloss finish could self level.

The above means that matte paints are the easiest finish to use for DIY application and little paint experience plus they dry extremely quickly making it a great choice to do in a home garage

Matte paints are also extremely cost effective and much much cheaper than the glossy norm, the paint also helps to dissipate heat better which again for obvious reasons is a plus.

The biggest advantage come when touching up areas that have become scratched, chipped etc though everyday use. You simply need to prep the area, get out the paint gun and the finish will just blend right in as opposed to having to flat back the new over laying paint to blend in and then machine polish up to spec.

But what about the downsides ... Well there really aren’t many with the only real concern being over durability and UV damage and that is where the new line of Swissvax products come into their own providing a perfect protection against all element.

If interested in these new Swissvax for matte paint and CF products then more can be read from your SWISSVAX US website here: http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...ode=MATT-PAINT

We have been using these products extensively at our detailing center and below are a few pics showing the ease application:

1. After washing the car (the 2 bucket method), Swissvax Pre-Cleaner Opaque is used to cleanse and nourish the matte paint of CF finish:

2. The Pre-Cleaner is then wiped over the surface using a micro-fibre cloth:

3. The Swissvax Opaque wax is then applied via hand-application (a wax applicator can be used but the heat generated by the hand helps spread the wax further an more evenly - you will waste wax with using a wax applicator but some prefer this method):

4. Finally a clean microfiber cloth is used again after letting the wax cure for approx 15 minutes to remove the residue providing a thin and even layer of formulated Grade One Carnauba wax protection:

And a quick picture of the detailing light tunnel rigs we manufacture some might like to see for the professional detailers:

Again if interested we have a dedicated website here with lots of nice pics (click the English flag for translation): www.swizolpflegecenter.ch

Mark
Old 05-05-2010, 05:30 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for sharing the information regarding flat paints. They look great and provide an option for the race car. I have seen some flat colors on vinyl and I love the look.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dang that widebody car will be brutal.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:08 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

^ JDS968 - Yes you are right I need to update the website accordingly which I will do tomorrow

Regards weight, both CF and FRP are approx the same give or take a few grams.

I've just put the FRP version on the Salter kitchen scales and it came in at a very impressive 2620 grams (2.62kg) and that’s for the entire kit including sides, brackets adjuster plates, bolts.
Very cool!

In that case I'll probably just go for the FRP version, unless the price difference is minimal.

Are you making any progress on the active aero/airbrake version of this wing? That's the one I'm going to want...

Due to the paint being very thin and offering very good coverage, this means that the actual weight of the paint is far less than a tradition glossy finish.
Do you actually know how much of a difference it might be on an average car? I never thought about that before.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM
future
Banned

Are you making any progress on the active aero/airbrake version of this wing? That's the one I'm going to want...
I'm hazarding a guess but probably 5-6 months as we first need to finish the widebody project which is urgent plus the 944 Turbo Cup hood project I'm working on oh and the CF door cards which have not progressed any further which is my fault

Do you actually know how much of a difference it might be on an average car? I never thought about that before.
To be honest unless the car is taken back to bar metal then any respray is going to add weight but I'm guessing very marginal and probably 1kg max - we can always weigh the contents like for like as we know how much we use give or take for each car (I'll make a note with Beni for you)
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM
DanR
Drifting

this is such a cool product which I think would look GREAT on my car

Thanks for all the great comments gents and I will answer accordingly, shortly but first another quick update this time from my side regarding our new 968 Turbo RS Version II rear wing which some will remember the first pictures one of which is the below:

We finally got around to making the first true Carbon Fibre center section version today and below are a couple of pics of the product straight out of the mould with no finish work done to it yet:

^ pics not great I know because if I use the flash the wing looks really shiny for some reason so for now I apologise for my shake hand

For those that are unaware we recently lowered the price of our new TRS wings (both the FRP & CF versions). We have also now taken mould from the original 968 side and rear hatch trim panels so finally this kit can be offered directly to all 944 owners which was not the case before.

I'll be shipping a few CF center sections over to Beni in the coming weeks as soon as we have cleared the backlog of current orders for the wing so that we can take some proper pictures of the wing fitted to both our 968 Turbo S tribute project and also to Beni's red 951.

Best regards to all,
Mark & Beni

Quick Reply: Project - what started as a Matte Black Wrap fail ...