Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

First Impressions: Vitesse Sledgehammer head

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
To make sure I'm understanding, Tony's problem is that he ISN'T winning 50% of the races. He'd rather jump down to GT3, take the weight penalty, and win 50% of the time (because apparently it's still competitive enough in GT3 that even winning that much is difficult.

That said, if it's basically anything goes, I see a good bit of improvement in the suspension of a 944. Over the past year or so I've been doing some modeling on the 944 suspension and by my calculations there's definitely some room for improvement. Simply lowering the force-based and kinematic roll centers show marked improvement in grip, despite the increased roll moment and elastic weight transfer.

If you can modify the pickup points, it'd get you far. Unfortunately, the rear suspension is a bit more fixed than the front, which can pose problems.

I don't know if you can move the pickup points (don't remember) but the deal in GT2 is that my car would have to be a LOT faster (like 5-10 seconds per lap depending on the track). Yeah the Yoko slicks are worth maybe 2 seconds... but there's no getting over the fast turn-in & transient response with no engine in the front.... or the superior braking or how hard the cars can get on the gas with the engine in the back exiting out of slower turns.

Yeah there is room for improvement. But no where near amount necessary to be competitive in GT2. Even GT3 will be real tough.

TonyG
Old 05-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Silver Rose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

-Forced-based and kinematic roll centers........moment and elastic weight transfer. SWEEEEEEET!!!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I will just see how well I can run in GT2 around here. I don't want to add in a few hundred pounds and I can run a 2.8L in GT2. I have one ready so I will try it for now. Just keep those hotdogs in California with you Tony. I like running as the underdog anyway, it's more fun that way.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:48 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Landjet
I guess I will just see how well I can run in GT2 around here. I don't want to add in a few hundred pounds and I can run a 2.8L in GT2. I have one ready so I will try it for now. Just keep those hotdogs in California with you Tony. I like running as the underdog anyway, it's more fun that way.
How much does the car weigh with driver? And how much RWHP are you making?

FWIW... you can easily turn down your boost and not add weight to go down a class (plus your engine would last longer anyway).

I have a V8. Much harder to take power away. For me... adding weight is the only way.

TonyG
Old 05-07-2010, 01:29 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make sure I'm understanding, Tony's problem is that he ISN'T winning 50% of the races. He'd rather jump down to GT3, take the weight penalty, and win 50% of the time (because apparently it's still competitive enough in GT3 that even winning that much is difficult.

That said, if it's basically anything goes, I see a good bit of improvement in the suspension of a 944. Over the past year or so I've been doing some modeling on the 944 suspension and by my calculations there's definitely some room for improvement. Simply lowering the force-based and kinematic roll centers show marked improvement in grip, despite the increased roll moment and elastic weight transfer.

If you can modify the pickup points, it'd get you far. Unfortunately, the rear suspension is a bit more fixed than the front, which can pose problems.
Collin, sorry if you've already answered this, I haven't been checking the forums much for a while. What did you use to model the suspension in? I've been playing with Solidworks Pro Simulation at work, and it sounds like you're doing some pretty advanced analysis with your model. Fun stuff!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Who was that guy running around with an LS conversion and rear suspension changed out to that of a 'Vette? Steve something from memory. Sounded like he had a pretty competitive car?
You have a good memory Pat! He's selling the car amazingly cheap. Even upgraded the old LS1 to a built LS2:

http://www.porschehybrids.com/php/vi...php?f=2&t=3373
Old 05-07-2010, 08:35 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Damn that is SOOOOO cheap Travis!!!!! It's not pretty but that could be sorted out. Seriously tempting.
I need to avert my eyes.....
Old 05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Tony G.
With driver the car is around 2350lbs tops and with the 2.8L should be around 425whp.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:03 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Have you guys competed in any GT2 races lately?
Old 07-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Tony would it be viable/allowable to put the car on a diet & then add ballast to bring it up to the required power to weight ratio. Then you'll be able to change the weight distribution front to rear & left to right according to the track.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 AM
George D
Drifting

Collin,

Seems like your MIT education is proving my inability to know nothing about Kinematic roll centers and elastic weight transfer. I did google this, and I've got the cliff notes..LOL

Like seeing your car in my driveway with Sean at the helm. I haven't asked for the keys.....yet.

G

Quick Reply: First Impressions: Vitesse Sledgehammer head