Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A stand Alone that is affordable for most.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Rod at Motec school they said crimping only .. no soldering ....
Is that how you get your hair to look like that?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rod at Motec school they said crimping only .. no soldering ....
Come on, not many options with the connector that you use to connect to the DME plug. They know what they are talking about at motec but it is not as if there is no soldered connections in a porsche.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your right not many options and the only option to me is 2mm female spade terminals criped on then heat shink over top.
i doubt there would be more than 5 wires in a Porsche that are soldered by hand ..
from what i saw Motec are very clever and have pretty good knowledge and skills but i really feel they have very little idea of what the competitors are doing or don't care and they are pretty idealistic
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Thom;7535353]You mean a fully ready-to-fit 951 harness?

Yes. I understand it is complete with no wiroing required. Just remove the old one and replace with the new one and connect to all existing sensors, including the two Triggers.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So: What would be the all up price of the ecu, the harness, and the "knock block"? (And, out of interest, what is the technical reason the existing knock sensors can't be used?)
Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

your right not many options and the only option to me is 2mm female spade terminals criped on then heat shink over top.
i doubt there would be more than 5 wires in a Porsche that are soldered by hand ..
from what i saw Motec are very clever and have pretty good knowledge and skills but i really feel they have very little idea of what the competitors are doing or don't care and they are pretty idealistic
I have seen a bit of solder myself, and my connector was made for solder, it is not a problem.
Motec is made for the the professional market, that's what you pay for.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I am going with the Link as well
Old 05-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: What is being said on the OTHER SIDE

If you want to continue the standalone discussion check this out.

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20552

-BB
Old 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Crimping is the way to go - as long as you have the proper tool (and there are many types of crimps - each with its own tool). Crimping with pliers is just not right....
Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by 95ONE
All saying a standalone without individual injector / coil capability is a fail.. I now fully agree.
Disagree with "all." Injectors run 90% duty cycle at high power levels anyway, and interestingly enough, the fuel is often injected into the port during the intake event in the PRIOR cycle. The level of precision is great for emissions, but I'm not convinced it is a benefit for power. As for wasted spark, during the exhaust stroke, the air charge is so thin that the magnitude of the spark on the wasted side of the coil pales to what happens on the compression stroke side of the coil.

If folks can afford a $6K standalone, great, go get those features. But if an affordable one means you have to live with batch fire and wasted spark, it beats having a VAM or a shade tree MAF job.

This whole thread, as well as the one linked to the other board, has me seriously thinking about just making a crank trigger and running the thing with one of the Ford EEC-IV's I have laying around.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I don't you you have to go past $1500 to get sequential coils and injectors you get more and less resolution depending on what you spend . i don't think people are that hung up on having full sequential . clever injector drivers are handy to control big injectors idling .i would generaly opt for staged double injectors over clever driven big injectors ..
When you say ford ECU i assume you have some kind of cable or hand controller to plug in and mess with it ?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 PM
67King
Race Car

I don't you you have to go past $1500 to get sequential coils and injectors you get more and less resolution depending on what you spend . i don't think people are that hung up on having full sequential . clever injector drivers are handy to control big injectors idling .i would generaly opt for staged double injectors over clever driven big injectors ..
When you say ford ECU i assume you have some kind of cable or hand controller to plug in and mess with it ?
Injectors are spec'd regardless of driver. Non-linearity is non-linearity, and the signals are pretty repeatable, much moreso than fuel flow at increasingly small duty cycles. The best driver in the world can't overcome the shortcomings of a big injector.

I completely agree with you on the staged injectors. That is one of the many reasons I believe Toyota went with a dual injection setup when they introduced direct injection on their 3.5L engine in 2006. Small injectors for idle, big injectors for power.

Before I got this car, I did a lot of work on Ford 2.3 turbos, including calibtration. Very similar to the stuff that Rogue Ant is working on. I burned EPROMs and Flash Proms that plugged into the back of the J3 port on the PCM. The biggest advantage of the Ford is that it is possible to do a proper MAF conversion on them. I am pretty sure that John at Vitesse does it the right way as well, but the majority of MAF conversions are band-aids. PCM reads signal from air meter (Ford calls that swing door thing made by Bosch a VAM), looks up the volume flow from a table, puts that number into the code. It also pulls barometric pressure and ambient temperature reading numbers, and lookup tables from those, and puts them into the code. From there, it calculates a mass air flow number. Most aftermarket MAF conversions just plug a MAF number into the VAM part of the code, and then try to tweak the baro and ambient temperature numbers to get close to the right number for a MAF. I believe John's systems, as well as the one I was using, skipped all of that portion of code, and plugged a MAF value right into the code.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep - still working on some things... hard to find time at the moment. But I have been driving on true MAF code for a while now
Old 05-04-2010, 12:15 AM
95ONE
Race Car

True sequential was needed for idle quality to run the larger injectors, 1000cc,. I decided not to run the COP set up. The wasted spark set up I made (Copied from updated setups) was quit impressive! Spark was ridiculous over stock. I have already ran an extra set of injector wires from my MoTeC M48. I was suppose to have the Carbon / Aluminum, ITB Intake manifold with secondary overhead injectors done this Christmas. Frustrating. But yes. 2 stage injectors is by far the way to go in my opinion as evidenced by my ever lagging plans. Please still expect this fancy *** intake to come to fruition! I digress. I was ALSO going to just use a Honda Wiring system and tune it with a Honda ECU. VERY cheap.. And Easier than the MoTeC. Lots of options like using a Ford setup, or a Chevy setup. All easily programmable.

Last edited by 95ONE; 05-04-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Yep - still working on some things... hard to find time at the moment. But I have been driving on true MAF code for a while now
SWEET!!!!

Quick Reply: A stand Alone that is affordable for most.