Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FS: 86 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:11 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
If I had one it'd be yours. You keepin it??
Well someone did help, adn He should be home by now (if not shortly) with the TPS off my car.

He followed me home, and I was more than happy to remove mine for him..

With an ounce of luck his car should be wheeling itself around the bad lands of VA tomorrow.. I am sure he will be posting results..

Accomplished today:
1) finished removing turbo with BADLY blown seals.. that poor thing was TOAST!!! He has pictures...
2) cleaned some of the mess left by bad turbo, that was only partially installed (loose bolts mounting turbo, causing oil to not only blow past hot and cold sides, but also out side of the mount...)
3) reassembled EVERYTHING...
4) diagnose really poor idle, and odd AFRs..
5) drive to my house (1 hr away) and remove my TPS as his car runs BETTER with his TPS disconnected...
6) Had a great day outside helping out a fantastic member of our community...

CPR, I hope it goes well getting the TPS installed and adjusted, make sure you post the results...
Old 05-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Accomplished today:
1) finished removing turbo with BADLY blown seals.. that poor thing was TOAST!!! He has pictures...
2) cleaned some of the mess left by bad turbo, that was only partially installed (loose bolts mounting turbo, causing oil to not only blow past hot and cold sides, but also out side of the mount...)
5) drive to my house (1 hr away) and remove my TPS as his car runs BETTER with his TPS disconnected...
Well done, JoKa... Rennlist at its best.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey joka I was at work when he was calling me up im home now I told him to hit me up when he gets back I help him out....
I am going to have a few p cars over the house tomorrow got to tune and change sum chips in a car...but get my number from patrick if you come threw tomorrow and I will also squeeze in sum time to help out too!!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Well someone did help, adn He should be home by now (if not shortly) with the TPS off my car.

With an ounce of luck his car should be wheeling itself around the bad lands of VA tomorrow.. I am sure he will be posting results..

Accomplished today:

CPR, I hope it goes well getting the TPS installed and adjusted, make sure you post the results...
That's what I'm talkin about man.

4 & 5 could also be ICV. If the TPS doesn't fix it, try disabling the the ISV at the diagnostic port as shown in step 3 of this writup:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-08.htm
Old 05-02-2010, 01:28 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
That's what I'm talkin about man.

4 & 5 could also be ICV. If the TPS doesn't fix it, try disabling the the ISV at the diagnostic port as shown in step 3 of this writup:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-08.htm
Todd,

I am basing the TPS theory off of what John Stephens went through on his car awhile back. It APPEARS to be the same type of issue. Runs great one day, then you come out the next and it runs like junk.

I'll switch them in the AM and know for sure...one way or the other, thanks to JOKA giving up his brand new TPS off of his personal car

Speaking of JOhn KoA wood....I mean what do you say? The guy gives up his Saturday off, on very short notice, helps me with the 3 'problem bolts' & shows/helps me to remount the turbo, which was all I needed, then leaves right? Nope....stayed ALL day and helped button up the entire damn thing. Absolutely, without a doubt one of the best people I have ever met, bar none.:ch eers::ch eers:

W(here)TF was the great mechanic Costas?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Todd,

I am basing the TPS theory off of what John Stephens went through on his car awhile back. It APPEARS to be the same type of issue. Runs great one day, then you come out the next and it runs like junk.

I'll switch them in the AM and know for sure...one way or the other, thanks to JOKA giving up his brand new TPS off of his personal car

Speaking of JOhn KoA wood....I mean what do you say? The guy gives up his Saturday off, on very short notice, helps me with the 3 'problem bolts' & shows/helps me to remount the turbo, which was all I needed, then leaves right? Nope....stayed ALL day and helped button up the entire damn thing. Absolutely, without a doubt one of the best people I have ever met, bar none.:ch eers::ch eers:

He drove from Richmond to DC to help me install the bottom end of my engine, IN THE SNOW, and only asked for a cup of coffee. I would have given him my savings account at that point!

John, you're a credit to the 951 community everywhere. Let me know if you ever need help with a project, it's the least I can do.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Awe, you guys is gonna make me blush..

CPR, Ramius..

I look at it as Karma... I help if and when I can, who I can... only hoping that one day I get help when I need it..

Ask me some time about Christmas eve '95.. long story but made an impression on me that I have carried with me since..

You guys rock.. Now CPR go finish your car so you can enjoy it before you leave again!

And Ramius, hit me up when you put fire to her..I would LOVE to see it running...

OH and CPR, if it turns out to be the ISV or another part... I DO have the rest of my car just sitting there... you are welcome to hit me up if you need it and I have it..
Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Hey joka I was at work when he was calling me up im home now I told him to hit me up when he gets back I help him out....
I am going to have a few p cars over the house tomorrow got to tune and change sum chips in a car...but get my number from patrick if you come threw tomorrow and I will also squeeze in sum time to help out too!!
Its all good man, we were trying to see if there might be a working TPS closer than mine...
Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Way to go, John
Old 05-02-2010, 03:30 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Accomplished today:

Wow! You are a true testament to friendship and rennlist. Hats off to you brother. Maybe one of these days we can all meet up for a drink. Its on me

Originally Posted by CPR
Todd,

Yup, sure sounds like it. My car spent months trouble shooting what turned out to be a very simple TPS sensor. A used TPS sensor was installed and the car ran fine and I was finally able to bring her home. After awhile it started to show similar problems again and I finally just ordered a new one and installed that one. Problem solved.

Funny how something so small can cause such a problem for everyone. I'm so glad to hear you got the car back and running right. Sounds like she is buttoned up good this time and should be leak free. Your story is one for the books myfriend.

So you keepin' it now?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:55 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Way to go John! I will PM you on the idle tomorrow. That is one impressive effort to drive down and get it running in one day.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
CPR
Race Director

No the TPS.....plug wires 2 & 3 were crossed. Which was very easy to see this morning as each end of everything was clearly identified before it was removed originally.

Don't know how we missed it yesterday.

Just standing there drinking my coffee getting ready to install the TPS, looked down and see plug wire with the #3 marked on it, in the hole marked #2 on it (written on the manifold in marker).
Old 05-02-2010, 12:19 PM
mverick160
Intermediate

Don't feel bad about the plug wires. I've done it too..lol

After a rebuild I had a shop do for me. Which took them 2 years when it was supposed to be 3 months. I picked up car and it was running a little weak. Dad was with me and said check the oil before we leave. Shop owner said, "We already did it's perfect."

Dad follows me home and about 2 miles it starts billowing smoke out. Wonderful. Get home and find the oil return line not connected from when they put the motor in. Looked around more as the car was missing a little. And find plug wire not connected. Just hanging there. I had problems with that shop before. Now, I wouldn't buy a stick of chewing gum from that shop.

Tore the whole car apart and found a lot of problems. Fixed them. Paint they did was half assed too. Live and learn. 911 turbo.

Glad you got it running. I almost posted I'd take it...LOL... Glad your keeping it.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by mverick160

Glad you got it running. I almost posted I'd take it...LOL... Glad your keeping it.
Keeping it has nothing to do with getting it running. Mrs. CPR, while liking this car, is more frustrated than I. $8k, 3 shops, a year later and it took me and Joka to get it right, on a weekend.

However, it has not changed her position and I can't fault her. She has been very patient and silent throughout this entire debacle, but I don't think it means we are keeping it. Just getting it 100% right for the next owners.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CPR
Keeping it has nothing to do with getting it running. Mrs. CPR, while liking this car, is more frustrated than I. $8k, 3 shops, a year later and it took me and Joka to get it right, on a weekend.

However, it has not changed her position and I can't fault her. She has been very patient and silent throughout this entire debacle, but I don't think it means we are keeping it. Just getting it 100% right for the next owners.
If you want a good deal on a vette I can hook you up.

Quick Reply: FS: 86 turbo