Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch Slave Cylinder hell!!!!!!!!Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch Slave Cylinder hell!!!!!!!!Update

Just got done bleeding my clutch slave cylinder!!!!!! I knew it was gonna be aww tricky, but hey how bad can it be. I of course did a search and read about some of the issues, lots of good advice...of course, I ignored all of it!!!

I have a Motive bleeder so hey how hard could it be!

Well as I read here the Motive can't get the air out from the CS, well by itself, anyway. So after jacking the car up and down, in the process dropping a heavy jack stand on my hand, then banging my head into the car so hard I was seeing stars!

I took a break to regroup, and days later, I got it done!!!! I did use the Motive on top and I used a hand pump with a tee on the bottom. It took two days of off and on work, to get that thing bled!!

Oh and I saw the post, too late of course, about filling the cylinder first before you mount it!
Yeah, right! Well in retro spec I would advise doing just that! Never ever put the CS on empty,yeah it's easier to mount it if it's not filled with fluid but you will pay for it when you go to bleed the system!!!!!

Oh and a note for those of you that have a Motive Power Bleeder, if you suspect
you have a hydraulic system fault,use the Motive to confirm!

After I had already pulled the slave and was trying to bleed the brakes, , with the Motive pressurized, I noticed a leak by the reservoir, you know that blue hose that goes up to the reservoir with the clamp on it? Yeah well mine had no clamp!!!!

Oh well I guess I'am done for now!

Last edited by schip43; 04-29-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to see you having a good so far
Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um..

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12834

I did it, took me 10 minutes to bleed the system... OH and it cost less than the OEM hose... Lets you bleed the clutch with the slave ABOVE the master...

Blue hose... sucks, put a clamp on it and see if it still leaks, if so get a new one (call a hydraulics shop for some brake fluid resistant hose, they will have it)
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I had issues bleeding the clutch slave until I just unbolted it from the bell housing (everything else still attached) , put a little pressure on the rod, loosened the bleeder, pushed the rod all the way back into the slave, closed the bleeder, and released the rod... That got 95% of the air out
Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Yep part of the good advise I ignored!
I had issues bleeding the clutch slave until I just unbolted it from the bell housing (everything else still attached) , put a little pressure on the rod, loosened the bleeder, pushed the rod all the way back into the slave, closed the bleeder, and released the rod... That got 95% of the air out
Goopd Advise would have saved me days..but I bolted it on already,not taking it off again! Damm the torpedoes full speed ahead!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schip43
Good Advise would have saved me days..but I bolted it on already,not taking it off again! Damm the torpedoes full speed ahead!
At least you still have your sense of humor about you...

I tend to take the same approach, to hell with it, I'm all in...

good luck, hope it all sorts itself out soon...
Old 04-26-2010, 02:21 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

It's all good, not a daily anyway so that takes the pressure off. It just seems that anytime I think oh well this will only take inset time here () minuets bam I run into more German Engineering weirdness!

I mean look at the whole exhaust/turbo setup!! WTF!!! I'am glad the Germans did not invent the wheel!!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:34 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a big fan of German engineering, they have great designs and generally build in safety factors, unlike some of the other manufacturers who's goal is simply cost out.

PS the blue hose doesn't really need a clamp as the only pressure it sees is the height of the fluid above it which is minimal. It only sees pressure if you use a pressure bleeder on the master cylinder.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

I am a big fan of German engineering, they have great designs and generally build in safety factors, unlike some of the other manufacturers who's goal is simply cost out.
I'am fan of German engineering too ( I have a 85.5 N/A also) but there is something elegant about simplicity!

PS the blue hose doesn't really need a clamp as the only pressure it sees is the height of the fluid above it which is minimal. It only sees pressure if you use a pressure bleeder on the master cylinder.
I'll take your word for that but the back of block was covered with dried brake fluid and the end of the blue hose was cracked. I cut it back reattached the hose and no more leak at the connection but who knows, she's still up on jacks!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951

Great tip. This little trick works wonders and saves hours -- point the bleeder end up when you push the rod in, and be sure no one steps on the clutch while you have it apart.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Update, it was the hydraulic line! the car now moves under it's own power! It's only gone one foot forward and one foot back but it did not do that before! Pedal was firm when it was on jacks but of course now that i put everything back together the pedal is soft!

So it's on to round two! I have to adjust the parking brakes anyway so I'll bleed the slave with the cars butt in the air this time.

Guess I just have a knack for making a simple job difficult! The secret is to learn all you can from others and then toss it all and blaze your own trail! Maybe I'll take the starter off this time blindfold and with oven mitts on!

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave Cylinder hell!!!!!!!!Update