Old 04-18-2010, 07:45 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
How do you do the wiring from the SMT6 to the switch?

Yes, I'm a dentist...
One side of the switch goes to ground the second side goes the the SMT6 MAP wire. All in the documents!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
There is one more thing that people REALLY need to know about the Vitesse systems.

When you buy the system, it would on the surface appear that you are buying parts that with some work, you could duplicate yourself. In fact, it probably could be reverese engineered. But there is something more that you get when you buy the system. You get John's knowledge and support.

This project is wrapping up. But the vendors I have used for this project (Vitesse turbo/MAF/vlfex/piggyback/boost control) and Lindsey (silicone hose kit, new wiring harnesses) have been available for all kinds of help.

There is an old story about the guy who brings his car into the shop because it runs really bad. The mechanic listens to it for a few moments. Walks over to the shelf, gets a small screw. Puts it in the carb and the car starts to run great. The mechanic hands the guy the repair bill and it says "$100". The guy asks the mechanic how can he possibly be charging $100 for a screw. The mechanic replies that he didnt charge $100 a screw. He charged $1 for the and $99 to know what screw was missing and how to make the car run right.

This is a lot of what you are buying with the Vitesse system. Yes, a turbo may cost more. I think John does some work to the turbos (the shop said that they were very pleasantly surprised that the turbo was clocked correctly because that has been rare) but even if he simply sold the same turbo you could buy elsewhere for $1000, his knowledge and support is well worth the extra expense.

-Dana
Thank you for the kind words. Bying parts is simple, getting all the parts to work together as a system is not so simple.

If you can find the same turbos we offer for $1000, I will buy all you have LOL. There is lots of machining work that goes into our turbos, not to mention the cost of some of the components.
I have always said, it's simple to build a small turbo that spools up quickly but dies up top. Also, it's simple to build a huge turbo with lots of lag but high flow at higher RPM. Building a turbo that spools up quickly and still delivers the goods up top is not so simple, but we think it's the way to go.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

Thanks John. I haven't had a chance to read all the documents with the kit yet. Hopefully I get the car back today.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
Right now to control boost I am just using the same TurboSmart manual controller that I was using with the K27. It is still hooked up as a single port control on a dual port wastegate. SO it really is an apples to apples (well sorta) comparison because I am running boost control, wastegate, and BOV exactly the same as I was.
I noticed a dramatic improvement when I switched from a black **** to the boost solenoid from Vitesse (Tial 38mm, 1.0 bar spring). Boost builds more quickly and overall low down engine performance is superior.
I had no experience with EBCs before and I kept reading mixed reviews about them so I wasn't sure what to expect, but since it's been on there's just no turning back!
I'm sure you will love it.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 PM
964-C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
The S2 is no longer available! It was replaced by the S2R which is a new turbo. The S2R is the fastest spooling turbo we offer, yet capable of supporting serious HP.
How is the new S2R compared to the old S2 (spool up, hp/boost, +/-).
Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
brrgrr
Racer

I would like to see a video of your tach / boost gauge while doing a 4th gear roll on to WOT starting at 2000 rpm please.

When does boost start building and when do you hit 1 bar boost in the case listed above... ????
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

brrgrr...i will take some video when i get a chance.

Hard to get tach and boost gauge in same video. My boost gauge is under the radio.

I just installed the Piggy Back today. I am still wrapping the car up. It runs, but it would be nice to have the DME/KLR all bolted up.

Also, I have to get the boost set. Keep in mind, I have not gotten the Electronic controller installed yet. One thing at a time.

-Dana
Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
brrgrr
Racer

DanaT - Factory Boost gauge and RPM in the same picture would be good - you can tell when the boost "hits" from that - maybe not the exact PSI, but you can see it spool up at least.
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brrgrr
DanaT - Factory Boost gauge and RPM in the same picture would be good - you can tell when the boost "hits" from that - maybe not the exact PSI, but you can see it spool up at least.
Thanks!
Older kit and in 2nd gear not 4th but, hopefully this helps.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
brrgrr
Racer

Porshhhh951 - saw that one - perfect video but I'd like to see fourth gear for an apples to apples comparison - 2nd just doesn't load the turbo enough to demonstrate the spool up characteristics as clearly.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porshhhh951 - saw that one - perfect video but I'd like to see fourth gear for an apples to apples comparison - 2nd just doesn't load the turbo enough to demonstrate the spool up characteristics as clearly.
Yeah you can see clearly in that video boost was hitting in 2nd hard by about 3600rpms. In 4th I was hitting boost hard at 3k even. I just never got a chance to shoot it on video.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Older kit and in 2nd gear not 4th but, hopefully this helps.
Damn, I really want this. Not only how quickly the boost came on, how well the boost built right back up after the shifts.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
I noticed a dramatic improvement when I switched from a black **** to the boost solenoid from Vitesse (Tial 38mm, 1.0 bar spring). Boost builds more quickly and overall low down engine performance is superior.
I had no experience with EBCs before and I kept reading mixed reviews about them so I wasn't sure what to expect, but since it's been on there's just no turning back!
I'm sure you will love it.
How does this work guys? Is the boost via the solenoid 'mapped' ? I remember on the Apexi that you could do all sorts of tricks but I thought with the solenoid it was just a control switch rather than a map itself. Unless there are programs in the SMT6 to customise boost?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I am not clear what you are looking for. When you do a 4th gear roll-on, you are testing much more than turbo spool up. For example, a heavier will accelerate slower, etc. What Apples to Apples are you trying to see?

-Dana
Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
brrgrr
Racer

DanaT,

Just a 4th gear roll on from 2000 rpm - one 951 setup to the next. If the 2R setup builds boost that much faster I should be able to see it on the video, ..... correct ? My current setup starts to build boost around 2500 rpm and and hits 1 bar around 3300 - 3400 rpm in a 4th gear roll on. I'm curious what the 2R setup will get me.... one 951 compared to another.... apples to apples - unless you have a dedicated track car that weighs 2600 lbs, they should be fairly close.

Porshhhh951,

I've watched the video many times and your boost needle doesn't hit "2" until well after 4000 rpm.... I'm not seeing the 3600 in 2nd.... but I'm not arguing the 3000 in 4th. I'd just like to see it.

Quick Reply: First Impression of Vitesse S2R system