Stock Altenator alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...eted-pics.html

There are kits available. You have to make sure that the belt lines up PERFECTLY with the new alternator.
That is kind of a loaded statement....

The belt does line up in a fore and aft sense. The only problem I had was making the alternator sit straight. I did buy a different alternator than the OP did, so I assume that was my problem. I went with the Auto Zone "Duralast" alternator, so I had to modify the alternator a bit, which the OP did not have to do.

If you follow his post to a T, you shouldn't have any problem with mounting the alternator correctly. (no "kit" needed)

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
the quest alternator was easy. I just had to grind down the tabs on the alternator itself to get it to fit. Nothing else had to be modified. if you dont put a quest alternator in your car your a idiot and if you need a kit to do it then your still a idiot.
Sorry I missed this post..... but +1

It seems not all of the alternators are built exactly the same, so different modifications are needed..... but its not difficult enough to require a kit.

I was just reading my posts in the original thread . It took a bit of work, but my posts were done with some "dramatic effect". FWIW, my alternator has been on for about 15,000 miles (I drive a lot), and I've had no problems what so ever.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:15 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, maybe the tabs are different on some alternators and i have a AC delete so that might be something too.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlege
Hey, Hows that car running?
haven't touched the car. Rebuilt the engine in my truck. Turned it into a 409 stoker with new heads ect. Thats got 30k miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Any other questions about cars i have built?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
haven't touched the car. Rebuilt the engine in my truck. Turned it into a 409 stoker with new heads ect. Thats got 30k miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Any other questions about cars i have built?
ok. How many engines have you gone through in your 951?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by George D
The issue we had was that the pulley's didn't line up perfectly. There was some side rubbing because of the slight offset. It would have worked fine, but I wanted it perfect. First time I've been called an idiot, so thanks.
Something to consider. Know that folks like CEP and others would not create a bracket and alternator kits if an idiot could simply grind a few areas and bolt it in with out knows issues if not done correctly.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much lighter is the small 924 alternator? Would that fit on a car with no a/c?

Quick Reply: Stock Altenator alternative?