Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wasted Spark System

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Chris, what do you make of Tom M'Guinn's comment? According to your post, what Tom said is fantasy?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Chris, what do you make of Tom M'Guinn's comment? According to your post, what Tom said is fantasy?
Why would that be a fantasy ? If he can run bigger gaps in the plugs now and never have problems with the spark not igniting the fuel again . Its not actually him gaining HP its him getting what the engine should produce in the first place, but cant because of the weak factory spark\rotor system failing to ignite the fuel. As written before The advantage is at high boost with a overly rich condition is were a stronger spark shines or for that sake even a msd spark shines.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by Adonay
Its not actually him gaining HP its him getting what the engine should produce in the first place
What then "should the engine produce in the first place" if it's not HP?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Im just saying that a wasted spark does not give you a instant 100 RWHP it can only be a improvement were the conventional rotor system would suffer. I guess your right though the way i wrote my point does seem a bit fishy.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Stronger spark is a good thing! John's wasted spark will deliver a stronger spark than the stock system - especially at higher RPM. Twice the dwell time and a better coil pack.

The higher you run your boost the harder it is to create a good spark.

So – I think Tom is not in fantasy land!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:43 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
there is not much left in the cylinder by that point (approx. 20 degrees before TDC on exhaust stroke). Any unburnt fuel has left the cylinder – the exhaust valve is almost closed (fully closed by 3 degrees BTDC) and the intake valve has not opened yet (1 degree ATDC).

Hmmm,
that's good info;
it fires 20 degrees before BTDC, so yes, of course even with an aggressive cam it shouldn't be a problem. I never thought of that.
Hmmm, what to do, what to do.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Hmmm,
that's good info;
it fires 20 degrees before BTDC, so yes, of course even with an aggressive cam it shouldn't be a problem. I never thought of that.
Hmmm, what to do, what to do.
The waste-spark ignition event is dynamic in nature, not static...
It is not set to fire exactly 20degrees BTDC, rather it will fire the same as whatever conjoined cylinder. So the ignition event is dependent of the timing map - only John could tell you the range of possibility.

-Rogue
Old 03-31-2010, 07:32 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
It is not set to fire exactly 20degrees BTDC, rather it will fire the same as whatever conjoined cylinder. So the ignition event is dependent of the timing map - only John could tell you the range of possibility.

-Rogue
True - it follows the ignition timing curve...but when on boost its very close to 20 degrees BTDC!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant

-Rogue
Yes, I realize it was just approx. 20 degrees.
I just meant it was good to know that it was far enough away from a valve overlap event.
I've got a bit of a richness problem on trailing throttle, and concerned what would happen when there's an ignition source when there's not really supposed to be an ignition source; in essence, if you's know what I mean.
I should have thought a little more precisely about what exactly is going on in my engine at wasted ignition point on exhaust stroke BTDC corresponding to the compression stroke timing.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:32 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

okay, so since the topic was posted, of how much value is WS to a fairly stock 951 engine?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ehall
okay, so since the topic was posted, of how much value is WS to a fairly stock 951 engine?
I’ll toss out a general comment on engine management mods –
“generally” engine management changes allow you to take advantage of other changes to the engine – higher boost, bigger turbo, race gas, different cam, or any other physical change to the engine. The Porsche engineers weren’t dummies – the stock system is fairly well optimized for tis design parameters.

If you decide to change the physical parameters you will need to adjust the engine management system to get the most out of the modification.

So –to answer the question – a ‘fairly stock’ engine will does not need anytihg more than a ‘fairly stock’ engine management system – as long as everything is operating correctly!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Thom
Race Car

Come on Vitesse customers, please show more interest as I really want WS for my engine!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Might be interested down the road. Would be nice if it were cheaper than the last iteration.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Might be interested down the road. Would be nice if it were cheaper than the last iteration.
The idea is to bring the WS at a much cheaper price than the last one. Of course it will not be the same unit.

To bring the cost down, we need to build them in quantity.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:25 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Price was certainly the limiting factor for me, I suspect a "much cheaper price" would expand the market significantly. Considering an OE quality cap and rotor cost $80+, the new WS might actually pay for itself in a few years.

Quick Reply: Wasted Spark System