944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Newbie Here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010 | 01:07 AM
67King
Race Car

I'm not too far from you. I have a bit of a Ford connection, though you wouldn't know it now. I also have a thing for older cars, if my sig doesn't tell you that. I live in Knoxville, about 2.5 hours away. If you start trackign the car, you'll inevitably hear about Racer's Edge, which is located here, as well.
Old 03-26-2010 | 01:29 AM
drew44
Instructor

I'm very close to Knoxville too. Yeah, check out European Auto Garage and Racer's Edge. Let me know if you're ever in the area. There's lots of great roads over our way.
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:03 AM
duh09
Cruisin'

Did you say daily driver?
Yeah he did. He also used 951 and extra money! But I wasn't gonna go there!
Yup, this will be my daily. Why?

I'm very rarely out towards Knoxville. I might have been there once or twice, but so far, I've never really had much of a reason to head that way... but you never know, if I end up heading that way, I'll be sure to let you guys know!
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:29 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Nothing against the 951, lots of guys use them as DD but it is a 20+ year old high performance car. Stuff wears out and breaks. DD duty is a lot to ask of it, with proper service it should be ok.
Mine is a summer toy, I put it away for the winter it was running fine. It sat for the winter and now it won't go into gear? WTF!
I think it's the slave cylinder but that was not something that was on my list of things to do.
89 Turbo S
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:36 AM
duh09
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by schip43
Nothing against the 951, lots of guys use them as DD but it is a 20+ year old high performance car. Stuff wears out and breaks. DD duty is a lot to ask of it, with proper service it should be ok.
Mine is a summer toy, I put it away for the winter it was running fine. It sat for the winter and now it won't go into gear? WTF!
I think it's the slave cylinder but that was not something that was on my list of things to do.
89 Turbo S
Oh yeah, of course. I understand that this thing is a lot more likely to break than my 05 SRT4, however, its a car. If it breaks, it can be fixed. It might be a lot more expensive to work on, but if worse comes to worse, I always have the 95 as a back-up. I'm not going to be beating on this car, and even though it is technicallly my daily, it won't be driven too awfully much except on the weekends. I rarely leave campus and when I do, its just to go a mile or two away. The motor was rebuilt a couple years ago and hasn't had many miles put on it since then and it recieved some maintence work not too long ago as well. I'll probably go through it pretty throughly and change the main fluids over Easter weekend since I'll have an extra day in teh weekend.
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:40 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by duh09
I'm not a forum newb, I'm a huge member of SN95forums and a couple other smaller ones, but I appreciate the like to clarks-garage.com. I've been doing a lot of research on them lately, and I did a lot before when I first found them, crazy to think in just a few days I'll be rolling in one. No pics of the 951 yet, but I suppose I could show off my other rides.

The 95- My baby. Custom white paint with silver pearl and metalflake, lowered, BBK O/R H-pipe/ Dumper flows, 01 Cobra seats (leather/suede), FR500 steering wheel, Bullit pedals, 17" Bullit wheels, 4.10 gears, etc etc

The 67- The next insane project. Bought it as it sits with a Grab-A-Track suspension, 302, 4-speed, and redone interior. Plans- 69 Torino 302 with a little work waiting to go in, T5 tranny swap, AirRide suspension, custom Trans-Am inspired paint, Shelby front clip, SN95 Cobra brakes, Shelby CS69 18" wheels, redone yet again interior.

Its new motor

The SRT4 aka Pumpkin

I'm a bit of a photo freak so I'll be posting some pics of the 951 as soon as I get it although don't expect much, my Rebel is a bit fubar'd at the moment.
Is that a holly carb?
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:51 AM
Dougs951
Race Car

I DD'd my 951 and it never let me down, except for a few no starts that were my fault. (Leaving the interior light or something on)
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:57 AM
duh09
Cruisin'

Yup, its a 650 double pumper. Still not sure if I'm going to use it or the newer 750 edelbrock that's on it now.

Let's hope I have the same luck, jumper cables are cheap haha
Old 03-26-2010 | 11:02 AM
Dougs951
Race Car

Yup, its a 650 double pumper. Still not sure if I'm going to use it or the newer 750 edelbrock that's on it now.

Yea it was only when I started to drive it "occasionally" that it broke.

Have you looked into the new Summit Brand carbs?

I put one on my 77 Camaro and it is working very well.
Old 03-26-2010 | 11:13 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I have had many bad lucks with the holly's. they love to leak and u will find ur self rebuilding them constantly. When i switched to edelbrock never had a problem. I am starting to like demon carbs.
Old 03-26-2010 | 11:35 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah, of course. I understand that this thing is a lot more likely to break than my 05 SRT4, however, its a car. If it breaks, it can be fixed. It might be a lot more expensive to work on, but if worse comes to worse, I always have the 95 as a back-up. I'm not going to be beating on this car, and even though it is technicallly my daily, it won't be driven too awfully much except on the weekends. I rarely leave campus and when I do, its just to go a mile or two away. The motor was rebuilt a couple years ago and hasn't had many miles put on it since then and it recieved some maintence work not too long ago as well. I'll probably go through it pretty throughly and change the main fluids over Easter weekend since I'll have an extra day in teh weekend.
Ok guy you do seem to know your stuff! So welcome aboard ,again! I know we chased some new guy off a few months ago we mentioned some of the down side to the car!

And I did not mean any offense to those that actually do use their 951 as a daily driver!

My first ride was in a 65 mustang built to Shelby Spec, Detroit Locker! You could hear that thing working!
The lsd in the Porsche is to silent for my taste but I am getting use to it.
Old 03-26-2010 | 11:48 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schip43

My first ride was in a 65 mustang built to Shelby Spec, Detroit Locker! You could hear that thing working!
The lsd in the Porsche is to silent for my taste but I am getting use to it.
different type of posi

I should be getting out my 67 fastback out this summer
Old 03-27-2010 | 03:15 PM
duh09
Cruisin'

Welp deal was a no-go. Went and drove it today, and it drove great, sounded great... The interior was a little ragged. The dash was in great shape, two tiny cracks, but the speaker grill things on the sides were barely on, the surround for the ignition was missing, the odo was messed up 841,900mi, wtf?, and the main deal breaker- the A/C didn't work at all. i might have been able to look over the trim stuff, but no A/C will not work for a daily. Ugh. There went my dream car besides my 67. -.-

Quick Reply: Newbie Here!