Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Overheating issues at the track. Any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes we replaced the radiator with the one out of the Grey car. It was only a year or so old. Looked brand spanking new.

We could use Evans as they don't scrutinize that sort of thing for our club events.

Just to cover off this thread (minus the music references), so we had a worn h/g that seems to have been the primary cause for the overheating. However the old radiator could also have contributed to this. Now are we dealing with two possible symptoms or causes? Well the radiator could only be a cause, but the h/g could be both, no? And if so, why is it happening? Too much sustained boost on a racetrack? I think you could run 2 bar+ happily with E85 on the street as you are only in boost for short periods of time but on the track it is a very different story. So is it just boost, or could the original head studs have been tired? Are our open deck blocks just prone to the cylinders shifting at higher psi? Will the new Racewear studs help? Is it going to keep happening if I run 1.5bar at the track?
For the moment I am running 1.1 bar on our 98oct. Car feels pretty responsive but still feels a little flat in the upper rpms. With any luck we might run some headers and a cam at some stage just to liven things up a little and get the most out of the turbo, but I don't want to be replacing the h/g every few meets...guess we'll just have to sneak up on the boost and see.

Quick Reply: Overheating issues at the track. Any ideas??