Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Overheating issues at the track. Any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can sometimes get "coolant concentrate " almost pure Etheline glycol can be had and gives similar results ..in some cars it makes almost no difference in some cars its miraculous I've heard of accounts of being able to run 5 lbs more boost due to cooler head temps o oh Pat's aroused now i would think a restrictor in the recirc port would be an effective mod it would increase system pressure and pressure at the impeller so reduce cavitation. it would also increase flow through the radiator when the thermostat half opens
Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pure ethylene glycol transfers heat less efficiently than a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water, which transfers heat less efficiently than pure water. So going to a mix of a higher concentration of ethylene glycol is going to reduce cooling efficiency, not increase it.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh but liquid anything transfers heat better than boiling anything and thats why its not the smae in every car some cars have the water boiling around the exhuast ports and arounf the pump and some dont.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Pure ethylene glycol transfers heat less efficiently than a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water, which transfers heat less efficiently than pure water. So going to a mix of a higher concentration of ethylene glycol is going to reduce cooling efficiency, not increase it.
True – picking your coolant depends on what problem you are trying to cure. A good stock system is capable of transferring a lot of heat – I have used stock cooling systems on 400rwhp track cars with no problems – never over the first white mark.

If you are over pressurizing the coolant system due to a head gasket issue no coolant will help (!) – if you are over pressurizing the coolant system due to localized boiling or nucleate boiling then the Evans coolant will help.

From my experience the Evans coolant is also very good at not leaving any deposits on the block walls and minimizing any corrosion/rust (more of a concern with the Darton Sleeves).

To answer Patrick earlier question – pretty much that only time you will get Evans coolant to leak is when a head gasket problem over pressurizes your coolant system or a physical hose failure. Then it is seriously slippery stuff. I had a coolant hose fail at Watkins Glen…I thought the slide would never end!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

"I thought the slide would never end".
Sounds like advice from Lucy to Charlie Brown.

Sort of a conundrum. Evans promotes lower boiling temps yet make sure it doesn't leak...it won't leak due to better control of boil....

I dunno, it all seem inconsequential. I've just seen Jeff Beck live.....sorry......
Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
"I thought the slide would never end".
Sounds like advice from Lucy to Charlie Brown.

Sort of a conundrum. Evans promotes lower boiling temps yet make sure it doesn't leak...it won't leak due to better control of boil....

I dunno, it all seem inconsequential. I've just seen Jeff Beck live.....sorry......
Freeway Jam....! (old Beck classic – especially good live)

“inconsequential”….you must be still in good shape from the concert! – the point is that Evans won’t leak from overheating – but it will still leak from headgaskets, old hoses with splits or loose hose clamps!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff Beck fans?
If you don't have it, you've got to get Live at Ronnie Scott's. Recorded in 2007, this live set features some classics and some newer stuff. The recording quality is superb. Listening to 'Cause we're ended as lovers' back to back [the original Blow by Blow version then the Ronnie Scotts version] is a revelation.
For the Aussies in the crowd, the bass player on the Ronnie Scotts set is the amazing a 22YO Tal Wilkenfeld - an Aussie girl who owns the stage when she gets to solo.
Available as a CD or a DVD of the full CD set plus extra tracks.

Here's a couple of samples from the DVD - too bad Imogen Heap is so hard to look at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC02wGj5gPw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbhngojbrzQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThZN70KNfi8

Extra credit for recognizing some of the faces in the crowd, including Robert Plant.
Great stuff.

Last edited by APKhaos; 03-30-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Actually last night had an Ex Prince bass player. She really rocked, but Narada Michael was beastly!! Jeff was sublime and the sound was fantastic.

Inconsequential...I think I was trying to talk about sequential ign and must have got lucky!
Think I might try and track down some of that Evans Elektrik Kool-Aid Acid test
Old 03-30-2010, 11:51 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Actually last night had an Ex Prince bass player. She really rocked, but Narada Michael was beastly!! Jeff was sublime and the sound was fantastic.
Its the sound quality that blows me away. I saw a lot of acts in Aus 'back in the day' and have the albums, but the dynamic range and clarity of the recordings [and the live sound] was nothing compared to current technology.
Floyd did a concert in DC [where I now live] back in the 90's. It was RFK stadium, which is a huge outdoor venue, but the sound was bloody sublime.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

This thread is all over the place. Good stuff.

I'm glad you figured out your issue, Patrick.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Tony, you an Aussie? I agree the sound quality is awesome nowdays. Use to be that big Arena type stuff was usually pretty poor but now it all sounds fantastic.

Thanks Derek. Well, we're sorted for now...till next time....
Old 03-31-2010, 02:47 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Did you replace the rad.?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:10 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

So unlike oil seepage/leaks, the coolant system is less prone to these and therefore something like Evans is safe to use? Not sure if it's available here...have to look around.
They have a distributors list on their website http://www.evanscooling.com/

In BC, the only distributor (at least that I know of) isnt related to cars, but to Rotrax aircraft engines. Perhaps there will be a similar place in your area.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:38 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Patrick,

you need to check the regs at your local track/tracks. I understand that is extraordinarily slippery and banned at certain or even many U.S. tracks.
Don't take that as gospel, because that info does not come from experience. However, I have seen it mentioned often.
Personally, I think it is the ultimate solution for a street car, with a known clean coolant system. Chris White is the guy to ask.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ehall
Patrick,

you need to check the regs at your local track/tracks. I understand that is extraordinarily slippery and banned at certain or even many U.S. tracks.
Don't take that as gospel, because that info does not come from experience. However, I have seen it mentioned often.
Personally, I think it is the ultimate solution for a street car, with a known clean coolant system. Chris White is the guy to ask.
Its common for a lot of asphalt circle tracks to ban everything except for straight water…those guys like to spill a lot of stuff when they are rubbin’ fenders…

Quick Reply: Overheating issues at the track. Any ideas??