Stripped the glide plate allen screws on caliper

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:25 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Eddie my friend let lart help you, do you want that caliper split in half? I have the perfect tool for the job.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2010, 02:44 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Eddie my friend let lart help you, do you want that caliper split in half? I have the perfect tool for the job.
You crazy @#$^ you are nuts !!
I needed a good laugh ...
Old 03-23-2010, 03:21 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie- Here are a few pics of mine. The paint turned out really well. I picked up some high temp engine enamel from O'Reillys for it. Used almost 2 cans for 4 calipers, and about a half can of clear (to seal the decals in). If I did it again, I would shoot a coat of clear, apply the decals then shoot another coat of clear to seal the decals. I'm afraid of the decals soaking up the paint pigments and turning pink.

I had these calipers media blasted. Cost $30 for all 4 and they were perfectly clean when done. This is THE way to do your calipers if you plan to paint them. Anything else will just look like ****...
Attached Images        
Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Eddie- Here are a few pics of mine. The paint turned out really well. I picked up some high temp engine enamel from O'Reillys for it. Used almost 2 cans for 4 calipers, and about a half can of clear (to seal the decals in). If I did it again, I would shoot a coat of clear, apply the decals then shoot another coat of clear to seal the decals. I'm afraid of the decals soaking up the paint pigments and turning pink.

I had these calipers media blasted. Cost $30 for all 4 and they were perfectly clean when done. This is THE way to do your calipers if you plan to paint them. Anything else will just look like ****...
WOW! ur dman they look beautiful
Old 03-23-2010, 04:03 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo

Holy S@#@
So that's what they look like after they are blasted !! That is amayzing
It looks like they were painted dull silver .... Lart are you thinking what I am thinking ? I got a quote for 30 bucks or so to media(Plastic bead) as well but the powder coater offered to blast( garnet) and coat for 40 bucks a caliper. I was going to paint mine as well but after I saw Olli's powder coated calipers I was drooling...
Either way, I don't think these plates are comin' off
Thanks for the pics
Kind regards
Ed
Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Holy S@#@
So that's what they look like after they are blasted !! That is amayzing
It looks like they were painted dull silver .... Lart are you thinking what I am thinking ? I got a quote for 30 bucks or so to media(Plastic bead) as well but the powder coater offered to blast( garnet) and coat for 40 bucks a caliper. I was going to paint mine as well but after I saw Olli's powder coated calipers I was drooling...
Either way, I don't think these plates are comin' off
Thanks for the pics
Kind regards
Ed

How about polishing?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
How about polishing?
Dat's what I talkin' about !!
I'll send you my brakes once I get these dam plates off
Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lart. It took some time to perfect them. I had clear react on two calipers that I had to fix. Pissed me off. Almost had to have them reblasted.

Eddie...These were taken down to the metal. Absolutely no paint. Media blasting is nice (mine were glass beads) because it won't ruin any seals or rubber pieces.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder why people paint these calipers themselves when proper powder coat cost the same or even less than few cans of paint. Powder coat will also last longer. I have restored several calipers lately and powder coater i use usually charge about 40$ / 4-calipers.

Starting point of 993 brakes for a 964 C2

After a citrix acid bath and some paint remover.Paint remover was used because otherwise media blasting would take more time & material

After wallnut shell blasting

Fresh powder coat

restored sliding plates & attaching springs

I also changed the pistons, seals & dust cups.Sliding plates are also re-installed.Just waiting for a new Porsche-texture.Just haven't took pictures yet
Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Third I tried the extraction bit ( I just couldn't wait to use the set I bought from Harbor Freight .... Well that was a bad move .... The bit shattered like it was made of glass ... I had been warned in prior instances, that this is a risky move because of exactly what happened... Yes, Tom I learned my lesson forever! Now, I am left with part of a hardened steel shank embedded in the head of the allen head screw
Gee, I'm sorry to hear. What brand was the Harbor Freight extractor set? I did this with a Snap On extractor on a motorcycle caliper and it worked like a charm. Then again, the bolt wasn't glued in like these appear to be.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Cleaness & heat are the keys to open those screws. I usually put calipers to citric acid bath for several hours. After that rinse with hot water and all the dirt is gone. Then start to heat calipers. If caliper finish is perfect use owen. I usually use heat between 80-90 Celsius for 30-40 minutes. After that screws are really easy to take off. If caliper finish need to be re-done use heat gun, not few seconds several minutes, like 5-10. After that screw can usually take off without any problem. Have restored quite many old school Brembos and only few times i have to use "stronger methods".That was usually due already ruined screws.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Have restored quite many old school Brembos and only few times i have to use "stronger methods".That was usually due already ruined screws.
Well eds already in that boat haha. Get the sledgehammer!!!

Tom is your welder really that bad that you have to mask off the area around the bolt?? If there's room, set a nut on top of it and just stick the gun in the hole and weld away haha, then get out a wrench and pray.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:27 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
I wonder why people paint these calipers themselves when proper powder coat cost the same or even less than few cans of paint. Powder coat will also last longer. I have restored several calipers lately and powder coater i use usually charge about 40$ / 4-calipers.

Starting point of 993 brakes for a 964 C2

After a citrix acid bath and some paint remover.Paint remover was used because otherwise media blasting would take more time & material

After wallnut shell blasting

Fresh powder coat

restored sliding plates & attaching springs

I also changed the pistons, seals & dust cups.Sliding plates are also re-installed.Just waiting for a new Porsche-texture.Just haven't took pictures yet
Gash those look beautiful too, you guys are artists.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Well eds already in that boat haha. Get the sledgehammer!!!

Tom is your welder really that bad that you have to mask off the area around the bolt?? If there's room, set a nut on top of it and just stick the gun in the hole and weld away haha, then get out a wrench and pray.

It's not so much the machine, but more the user. However, if I can get the welding cup in there and have eddie hold the nut while I weld it, then that might just work...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
It's not so much the machine, but more the user. However, if I can get the welding cup in there and have eddie hold the nut while I weld it, then that might just work...
Well, one down.... and God knows how many to go
I finally was able to get the screw out with the slot method ...Now I just have at least 6 more to do the same with and that's not counting the rear brakes ...
So, all I can say is God help me
Regards

Quick Reply: Stripped the glide plate allen screws on caliper