Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

reinstall turbo tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy reinstall turbo tips

I'm having to do this myself and having a hard time with it. For one, how does someone, by themselves get the two turbo mounting bolts back in? I'm thinking I may have to remove the alternator so I can get the short one from the top and hopefully that makes the other one easier. That and get a short screw driver to encourage the crossover and turbo to align while I get a bolt in for that.

Also, does anyone have that nice parts list that came with the exaust bolt kit that was available several years ago that they can send me? I lost mine and having a bit of trouble sorting what goes to where for some of the items.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:05 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I literally just did this 15 minutes ago....took me about an hour! I got the short one in pretty easily but then took about 45 minutes trying to get the long one in. What I did was take a bungee strap and hook it to the compressor housing and hang it over the bumper. I could then wiggle the turbo by pulling on the strap and finally get the long bolt in.

Here's the bolt diagram for the Rennbay kit i bought (same thing you're talking about?)

And after all the cursing and busted knuckles you get to sit back and enjoy the beauty!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

I may have to drop the crossover, it's making it hard for me to align the short mounting bolt hole. I don't think it was the Rennbay kit but what you posted does help. It looks like the Rennbay kit and mine have a lot of washers that can't be used because there isn't enough room though.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I always remember the great wisdom of the Haynes manuals – “replacement - same as removal in reverse”…
Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark-87-951
I may have to drop the crossover, it's making it hard for me to align the short mounting bolt hole. I don't think it was the Rennbay kit but what you posted does help. It looks like the Rennbay kit and mine have a lot of washers that can't be used because there isn't enough room though.
its best to loosen the whole thing as u do not want to anything to be cocked when installed
Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Myself, I have found that making a stud for the long one rather than the bolt helps
Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Only thing I had connected was the downpipe so disconnecting the crossover might work for you.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:30 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

^^Same here. I think it would have been a lot harder to do with the crossover bolted up. I have AC delete and I still took my alternator out to make things easier.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you think you are ever going to remove the turbo again it is really worth getting the 2 piece crossover mod – it comes in very handy!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
If you think you are ever going to remove the turbo again it is really worth getting the 2 piece crossover mod – it comes in very handy!
yes very true. but if your in a rush or do not have the money then ur best bet it so loosen everything up
Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loosen the steering rack and pull away from crossover approx. 3/8", you'll be able to get to the short one by using a long extension between the rack and crossover. You'll need a swivel. Start the short one and if the long one doesn't go in, adjust (move slightly) the turbo and try again. I just did it this way and it worked perfectly.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Steering rack has been detached from the crossmember when I removed the turbo, helped a lot. Loosening up the crossover worked. Turbo mount bolts are in place and the downpipe is connected to the exhaust. I misplaced a wrench so couldnt use the double nut trick of removing the studs so I can switch out my headers so off to get a couple new tools. I also need to replace the oil sender as one terminal post turns freely so I cant get the darn nut off to attach the lindsey wiring harness. But at least some progress today.

Unfortunately, rental car costs and other things made getting the 2 piece crossover mod not possible right now. If I could I would do that and the crossmember. Oh well, perhaps in the future. When all is said and done at this point, I'll have a thermal coated and wrapped headers, downpipe and the crossover wrapped at the brake booster area and numerous oil leaks fixed. It looks like some were so old they caked over and didn't leak anymore lol

Quick Reply: reinstall turbo tips