Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rich Idle and cruise. And a TIAL warning ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
If your car is running fine now that you have the vacuum line hooked up then your wastegate is setup correctly!

Check out this link if you need to understand how a wastegate works: http://www.quartermile.ws/forum/inde...=7456.msg76942

Yes the boost pressure is perfect now just like it should be on spring value

Last edited by Adonay; 03-06-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Installed properly, a Tial with no hoses attached will use spring pressure.
A Tial 'properly installed' requires a vac/pressure hose run to the lower port for it to open at the spring pressure. You add the ability to raise the opening pressure to a setting above spring pressure by adding a boost signal to the top port. With a n adjustable boost controller you cannot get the wastegate to open at a setting below the spring pressure – only at or above the spring pressure.

No hoses = lotsa pressure, more than you want!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:50 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Adonay
I will maybe have to solder in that piggyback soon was hoping that i could have a perfect idle first though. John can you confirm the tial thing if it needs boost line to open on a 951? I know it will dont ask for my digital boost read "i thought it was broken"..

FQS are the microswiches on the PCB chip right?
Yes yo need a boost line to the WG to OPEN it. There is a proper way to connect the lines to the WG. Contact your vendor for information.

The FQS is a 8 position rotary switch on the side of the DME. It is not the micro switches your refer to. I suggest you read the instructions and the documents I sent you before going any further.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
A Tial 'properly installed' requires a vac/pressure hose run to the lower port for it to open at the spring pressure. You add the ability to raise the opening pressure to a setting above spring pressure by adding a boost signal to the top port. With a n adjustable boost controller you cannot get the wastegate to open at a setting below the spring pressure – only at or above the spring pressure.

No hoses = lotsa pressure, more than you want!
Originally Posted by fast951
Yes yo need a boost line to the WG to OPEN it. There is a proper way to connect the lines to the WG. Contact your vendor for information.

The FQS is a 8 position rotary switch on the side of the DME. It is not the micro switches your refer to. I suggest you read the instructions and the documents I sent you before going any further.
Looks like i was right then those who dont believe me: try disconnecting the hoses and go for a spin dont come back blaming me if you destroy something though..

John Read your mailbox..
Old 03-07-2010, 01:21 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember what the factory wastegate looked like in there, but I remember when I hooked up my Tial there was something backwards about it. I looked back and forth between the diagram and the bottom of the car a ton of times. If you don't have it, the installation diagram for the Tial 38mm is

Last edited by odb812; 03-07-2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: fixed image
Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that is sketchy ... by looking at the valve and seat i would logicly hook that up backwards if i didn't have the schematic.assuming it had a regular piston or diapram ...no help that the KKK is the oppsite way
This why i would always activate it on the bench first that would sort it out ..
Old 03-07-2010, 04:10 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

On the Tial the piston moves into the body of the wastegate. This side needs to be on the "pressurized" side of the exhaust. On the OEM gate, the piston moves out of the body, therefore the opposite flange is on the pressurized side and the piston goes on the "atmospheric" side.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:16 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a TIAL wasegate installed backward. Took me two headgaskets and a broken piston to finally figured that out... 30PSI with the T04E I had would last one run at a time.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ECUdooberhead
I had a TIAL wasegate installed backward. Took me two headgaskets and a broken piston to finally figured that out... 30PSI with the T04E I had would last one run at a time.

Seems i was lucky i boosted like that for 2 days not for very long but small jolts ..

I don't remember what the factory wastegate looked like in there, but I remember when I hooked up my Tial there was something backwards about it. I looked back and forth between the diagram and the bottom of the car a ton of times. If you don't have it, the installation diagram for the Tial 38mm is
Yes if you look at the kkk wastegate the spring pushes out and the tial you can push in with a finger or two. Weirdly thought the 930\935 wastegates are right like a tial.

I was told that if you want the tial to work with out vacuum on a 951 u need to change\weld the exhaust different . I dont know how true that is though.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Played with FQS and sensors "again" today. My engine temp sensor is 100% working as it had about 300 ohms resistance when checked and got more and more resistance the colder the engine got by going up 1 ohm at the time. I gave the car 5% less fuel and it fixed my idle and stop issues car would get close to 14,7:1 . But running extremely lean at 13.2 Flat on the woot map decided to go back to normal mixture for now. with 12,5:1 and mid elevens at idle and cruise but near perfect woot map at 11,7:1.

Now for the O2 sensor how does your cars behave with a broken Lambda "02sensor". I think that both the ones i have tested are broken . As the afr does not seem to ajust\change very much it far to stable and linear if you ask me. If i unplug the O2 sensor i will have a IDLE at 13,2:1 before it brakes again back to 12,5:1 after woot. Car stalls after hard acceleration and requires restart if going to a full stop. When O2 sensor is not working should the AFR be as rich as mid 11 and 12,5 on IDLE ? Anyone knows . I will replace the thing with a new Bosch sensor tomorrow though .

Quick Reply: Rich Idle and cruise. And a TIAL warning ;-)