Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rich Idle and cruise. And a TIAL warning ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rich Idle and cruise. And a TIAL warning ;-)

Right so i got the chance to test out the car after doing the following mods. Tial. SFR 3" full exhaust. Prosportgauges wideband. Vitesse stage 3, 3Bar FPR, 83lb injectors etc. New Gearbox "overhauled". Sacs cup clutch + + .

First off my car is way to rich at idle and cruise from mid 10s to 13,2 on cruise mostly at 11:1 on idle. Woot maps seem to be good or slightly rich . can it be anything other than the o2 sensor and engine temperature sensor?. John@vitesse has given me a list of things and so far everything seems to check out right like vacume leaks, Grounds etc. I had a bad TPS that was changed but did not help rich condition only car cutting when accelerating. My car stalls every f"#g time i stop at a red light or rev it at idle. It dies completely and needs to be started again same every time i gun it and let off throttle its so rich it drowns the car seems .. However it just performs a roiling start then.
Any sugestions? or simmilair experiences

Not sure i should tell you the next part but here goes.

So when testing out the car i decided to use a manual boost controller just for test purposes it overboostet insanely"or so i thought and turned out i was right". I therefore decided to run the TIAL on spring pressure only no vacume lines attached DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THIS!!!! Its the same as not running a WG at all the spring never released. My mechanic and i was sure my new digital gauge was wrong since we were sure the spring would open at 0.9 bar. We installed a vacume based gauge with no electronics on at all it could show up to 1,5BAR MAX and when we gunned the car et came back at 0,1 almost 2BAR!!!! 29PSI!! . The car spooled to fast had no boost control at all . Good thing we diddent blow it to "#¤% . We realized what pressure we had been running and i was 100% sure that it had to have been more than 0.9 bar and way more that 240 HP or so. Anyways after that i installed a vacume line from the intercooler pipe to the side port on the wastegate now the spoolup slowed down + stopping at 0.8 bars at woot .. Read the above and do not try this. I am however amased by the share power in the vitesse turbo its truely a insane package. I cant explain how fast it spools when it first does .
Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure you checked but fuel pressure is the first thing that comes to mind for me.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Yep the 3 bar FPR gives 3 bar with no vacume .. However i am not sure how much vacume i should have. So theoretically it could give to much fuel if there was to little vacume . As of now i have about 0,6-0,7Bar vacume at IDLE.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what pressure was the waste gate sping ?
You did bench test it ?
its not the same as running no waste gate ..
if it's a 1 bar spring there should have been one bar boost if not you simply had it hooked up wrong ..
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably have an intake leak. Especially if you hit 29 psi, you probably blew something open. Pressure test the intake system, it's the easiest and first thing to do.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
what pressure was the waste gate sping ?
You did bench test it ?
its not the same as running no waste gate ..
if it's a 1 bar spring there should have been one bar boost if not you simply had it hooked up wrong ..
Are you sure about that. I did not get the spring value before i ran vacume to the sideport of the TIAL. The spring is 0,9 bar i get about that now.

You probably have an intake leak. Especially if you hit 29 psi, you probably blew something open. Pressure test the intake system, it's the easiest and first thing to do.
I did pressure test it and will be doing so again now. I have two of these http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...47cbfd8098f273
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

You HAVE to have a vacuum line hooked up to the wastegate..that's how they work. If you don't have the line then you are relying on the exhaust pressure to overcome the spring pressure, which as you noticed, can take a lot to do!

Intake leak has nothing to do with the 29psi spike...that was all caused by not hooking things up correctly.

Last edited by alxdgr8; 03-05-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I am absolutly 1000% sure
I don't know how tail are but differnt waste gates open differnt directions so put the tube on the wrong side and you have the boost pressure holding the gate shut as well as the spring ... danger ..

Can some one else please confirm wich port is wich on the TAIL gates please?

I honestly feel it is insane to not bench test a gate befor install and see it open with the pressure applied .
its realy pretty easy with some basic plastic T's and a hand pump.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Than how can you explain this the gate does not open at all by it self "nothing" connected. The wastegate can only be installed on way with the shimms . The 951 wastegate system is somewhat designed wrong to start with i was told.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Add to your list of items to check: FQS - Make sure it's set correctly.

Get back to me with the test results to the list I sent you.

I guess, you should be using the V-FLEX image and set overboost with the PB. It's a good thing you caught it before you blew something. The turbo you have will run over 30psi to redline. So you must be careful.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

I will maybe have to solder in that piggyback soon was hoping that i could have a perfect idle first though. John can you confirm the tial thing if it needs boost line to open on a 951?
The turbo you have will run over 30psi to redline. So you must be careful
I know it will dont ask for my digital boost read "i thought it was broken"..

FQS are the microswiches on the PCB chip right?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Hmm sounds jammed ? any how unless you are able to open it with some air pressure and see it open you realy shouldn't proceed ...
they only issue with the standard waste gate is is is a little down on pressure and a little bulky ..
realy dispite beings 1970's there is nothing wrong with it .. very similar items are used on 1000hp 934's and 935's with no issues .
Old 03-05-2010, 11:09 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post a picture of how you installed the wastegate. Depending on your adapter plates etc, its possible to install them backwards.... Meaning they wont open period, hoses or not. Installed properly, a Tial with no hoses attached will use spring pressure.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

If your car is running fine now that you have the vacuum line hooked up then your wastegate is setup correctly!

Check out this link if you need to understand how a wastegate works: http://www.quartermile.ws/forum/inde...=7456.msg76942

Quick Reply: Rich Idle and cruise. And a TIAL warning ;-)