Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

replacing the compressor wheel for a LR Super 75 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
"screwing a balanced wheel on with out balancing the entire assembly"
so far i think I've herd about 12 or more first hand accounts of it being done with no follow up problems .
How many accounts have you guys herd of the drama's ?
When I took mine to have it balanced, I saw evidence of the assy not being balanced as a unit... it will start with premature bearing wear, then bend the shaft, and lastly the compressor wheel will impact the compressor housing...

This will eventually occur to ALL turbos, balancing prolongs the life greatly compared to no balancing...

Similarly, it is not absolutely required that you balance your wheels, but it is HIGHLY recommended and generally a good idea as it will prolong tire life, the cars life, and quite possibly your life as well...
Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
if you imagine or calculate the speed of the blade its not severe at all .
many of us have seen wheels that look like a rat has chewed them from water injection that is not atomised properly
Water injection at the intake is for cars without intercooling, and should not be done with our cars...or any well designed turbo motor. I've seen this back in the day of me turbo charging my 280Z.....That was 1980, and I thought it was a bad idea then.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
That would also be a result of injecting the water BEFORE the compressor, which is usually done to avoid having to get the high pressure WI setup (HP pump, lines etc)...

Does it work, sort of, is it the best way to do it... sure if you like repairs... saving $200 on WI at the cost of a $1000 turbo is OK, if you don't mind shelling out the clams for a new turbo.

OP,

Also make sure you chase / inspect your entire intake tract... those little bits of metal can play hell with your intake valve seats / exhaust valves / combustion chamber..

Pulling the intake will let you see the intake valves, look for ANY evidence of metal (scratches in the head or valves, or sparkles in any residue there).

I would be more worried about what else got messed up, as comparatively speaking your turbo is a cheap one to fix...

I bet your intercooler is full of metal, as are your pipes, throttle body, intake, and possibly head / cumbustion chamber if the pieces made it that far! much of this would depend on how long you ran the car AFTER the rock started chewing on your compressor wheel...

Good advise, as this happened while on boost, and metal was going into your intake. Make sure you get all particles out of your intake system. Pain in the ***, but part of the deal in what happened.

Good luck with your build.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by George D
Water injection at the intake is for cars without intercooling, and should not be done with our cars...or any well designed turbo motor. I've seen this back in the day of me turbo charging my 280Z.....That was 1980, and I thought it was a bad idea then.
Water injection being sprayed these days is usually a 50/50 ethanol water blend... primary use is cooling of the intake charge, but it also raises the effective octane rating of the fuel being used... E85 would be a better route.

Some have been experimenting with atomized water spray computer controlled to spray the intercooler OUTSIDE to reduce heat soak, I have been considering a setup I have seen that uses a FAT sensor and a IC core temp sensor, coupled to injector duty cycle monitor and throttle position sensor to calculate driving style and demand along with temp differential of the IC core to ambient to spray the IC when it is hot, getting hot, or about to get hot....

I too am not a fan of intake water injection, but it has been proven to have benefits, when properly controlled... control being the important part... still, I would hate to depend on the system and have the reservoir go empty... but that is just me..
Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee101315
Well, I actually did it to myself. I was too lazy to but the air filter back on my car, and two days later, the car is feeling laggy and wouldnt reach full boost. After checking vacuum lines and boost leaks, I finally take the silicone boot off the turbo and find this horror.

Can anyone tell me where I could find this compressor wheel?
Lots of good advice here, in regard to the engine, I'm tearing to down. First it was the turbo, then a few oil leaks. Then I thought maybe it was going to be easier to remove the engine to reseal it. Next thing I know, Im missing 7 teeth on my timing belt ( I'm very lucky) and the crankshaft has excessive play. So I'm ripping the engine apart and I'm going to rebuild it ( I run a repair shop specializing in German cars, by the way).

Im aware of the stress caused by having the compressor wheel out of balance. I would like to purchase the compressor wheel separately and send everything to a turbo rebuilder I've been using for years, but I don't have any information on where to get the wheel, what type of cold side I have...etc. If someone could help with that, that'd be great.

Yes, this turbo may be laggy, but the top end is great... It should also be good for around 400whp when everything is set up properly. If you don't like turbo lag, just drop in V8.
Are you serious u were too lazy to put the filter back on? and you realize u were missing 7 teeth on the your t-belt. You and your father Own a shop on Route 1-9 in Jersey. How do u specialize in German Cars? Good Luck
Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reno808
Are you serious u were too lazy to put the filter back on? and you realize u were missing 7 teeth on the your t-belt. You and your father Own a shop on Route 1-9 in Jersey. How do u specialize in German Cars? Good Luck
Meh. Im not the first and wont be the last that left person who blows a turbo by leaving the filter off.

The engine was rebuilt 15k ago, I had the crankshaft welded (too much thrust play ) and the weld failed, causing all sorts of leaks and havoc....

Hey would you mind lending me your engine hoist to put the engine back in?
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2010, 05:48 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Meh. Im not the first and wont be the last that left person who blows a turbo by leaving the filter off.

The engine was rebuilt 15k ago, I had the crankshaft welded (too much thrust play ) and the weld failed, causing all sorts of leaks and havoc....

Hey would you mind lending me your engine hoist to put the engine back in?
Your shop does not have a lift?? Wow. Sure you can borrow my new one. The pic u have posted is my old one that failed. I have seen your car. I'll leave at that.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you spray an atomized mixture in front of the intake how does that form droplets that could damage the turbo blades?

Quick Reply: replacing the compressor wheel for a LR Super 75 turbo?