Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

replacing the compressor wheel for a LR Super 75 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacing the compressor wheel for a LR Super 75 turbo?

Well, I actually did it to myself. I was too lazy to but the air filter back on my car, and two days later, the car is feeling laggy and wouldnt reach full boost. After checking vacuum lines and boost leaks, I finally take the silicone boot off the turbo and find this horror.

Can anyone tell me where I could find this compressor wheel?
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gee kudos for being brave enough to tell us i genrally keep those stupid mistakes to myself ..
just measure it up and start email9ng turbo people it will be a generic old to4 B or to4 E comp wheel
Old 03-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The problem isn't finding the wheel, it getting it balanced after the install. They turn at over 100,000 RPM so it has to be balanced to last.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

time for a more efficient turbo, maybe?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

more efficient at eating rocks ?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by lee101315
Well, I actually did it to myself. I was too lazy to but the air filter back on my car, and two days later, the car is feeling laggy and wouldnt reach full boost. After checking vacuum lines and boost leaks, I finally take the silicone boot off the turbo and find this horror.

Can anyone tell me where I could find this compressor wheel?
You should have a complete rebuild done at a proper shop, or purchase another turbo. Just adding a compressor wheel without proper balancing will bring other issues to bear down on your wallet. This damage probably isn't just what you see.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

"screwing a balanced wheel on with out balancing the entire assembly"
so far i think I've herd about 12 or more first hand accounts of it being done with no follow up problems .
How many accounts have you guys herd of the drama's ?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:17 PM
George D
Drifting

Don't know, but the rock that did this damage seems fairly severe. If this is what lee101315 would like to try, I would recommend he call LR and get the wheel.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If LR still has the same guy doing the rebuilds, I would send it back to them; the guy does excellent work.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

if you imagine or calculate the speed of the blade its not severe at all .
many of us have seen wheels that look like a rat has chewed them from water injection that is not atomised properly
Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
if you imagine or calculate the speed of the blade its not severe at all .
many of us have seen wheels that look like a rat has chewed them from water injection that is not atomised properly
That would also be a result of injecting the water BEFORE the compressor, which is usually done to avoid having to get the high pressure WI setup (HP pump, lines etc)...

Does it work, sort of, is it the best way to do it... sure if you like repairs... saving $200 on WI at the cost of a $1000 turbo is OK, if you don't mind shelling out the clams for a new turbo.

OP,

Also make sure you chase / inspect your entire intake tract... those little bits of metal can play hell with your intake valve seats / exhaust valves / combustion chamber..

Pulling the intake will let you see the intake valves, look for ANY evidence of metal (scratches in the head or valves, or sparkles in any residue there).

I would be more worried about what else got messed up, as comparatively speaking your turbo is a cheap one to fix...

I bet your intercooler is full of metal, as are your pipes, throttle body, intake, and possibly head / cumbustion chamber if the pieces made it that far! much of this would depend on how long you ran the car AFTER the rock started chewing on your compressor wheel...

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 03-04-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Ouch!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You probably dropped a bolt in when installing your filter. Ouch. I hope the object didn't make it to the head. Double Ouch. The turbo will certainly need to be removed and rebuilt by a professional.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Lots of good advice here, in regard to the engine, I'm tearing to down. First it was the turbo, then a few oil leaks. Then I thought maybe it was going to be easier to remove the engine to reseal it. Next thing I know, Im missing 7 teeth on my timing belt ( I'm very lucky) and the crankshaft has excessive play. So I'm ripping the engine apart and I'm going to rebuild it ( I run a repair shop specializing in German cars, by the way).

Im aware of the stress caused by having the compressor wheel out of balance. I would like to purchase the compressor wheel separately and send everything to a turbo rebuilder I've been using for years, but I don't have any information on where to get the wheel, what type of cold side I have...etc. If someone could help with that, that'd be great.

Yes, this turbo may be laggy, but the top end is great... It should also be good for around 400whp when everything is set up properly. If you don't like turbo lag, just drop in V8.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by lee101315
Lots of good advice here, in regard to the engine, I'm tearing to down. First it was the turbo, then a few oil leaks. Then I thought maybe it was going to be easier to remove the engine to reseal it. Next thing I know, Im missing 7 teeth on my timing belt ( I'm very lucky) and the crankshaft has excessive play. So I'm ripping the engine apart and I'm going to rebuild it ( I run a repair shop specializing in German cars, by the way).

Im aware of the stress caused by having the compressor wheel out of balance. I would like to purchase the compressor wheel separately and send everything to a turbo rebuilder I've been using for years, but I don't have any information on where to get the wheel, what type of cold side I have...etc. If someone could help with that, that'd be great.

Yes, this turbo may be laggy, but the top end is great... It should also be good for around 400whp when everything is set up properly. If you don't like turbo lag, just drop in V8.
Call LR. They should have what you need.

Quick Reply: replacing the compressor wheel for a LR Super 75 turbo?