Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Valentine 1 owners, where did you mount concealed display?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

StealthMirror.com
Old 03-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think in a 951/944/968 you could hide the V1 in the 3rd brake light housing very nicely. It would still have a clear view front to rear. Just add a remote mute and display and it would be a neat set up.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I have never met a person that does this. I have only heard internet rumors of such activity.

Anyone actually know someone that tries to use OTHER peoples radar detectors when driving
?
See it all the time. Maybe they aren't keying off the display, but they sure do notice when you hit your brakes, see the cop car shortly thereafter, and then tuck in nicely on your bumper for the next 100 miles.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
See it all the time. Maybe they aren't keying off the display, but they sure do notice when you hit your brakes, see the cop car shortly thereafter, and then tuck in nicely on your bumper for the next 100 miles.
I think youre giving most drivers too much credit.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That stealthmirror looks interesting and expensive.

I would like to mount my remote display in a gauge pillar pod but I think one would need to have the hole not cut in the pod so it could be cut for the v1 display.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the instrument cluster of course...
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2010, 12:45 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark-87-951
That stealthmirror looks interesting and expensive.
Here's one in my previous Aston. I've had this done in several of my cars (by my installer, not StealthMirror.com). I think I paid about $3k per car for the mirror, custom mounting of the antenna under the headliner, and controls under the dash. So it is pricey. But it is very, very cool. I'm still undecided about doing it in my new 951.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

61 Austin Healey, do you take that when you feel like walking?

"...antenna under the headliner.." so they pull the V1 apart to mount the antenna? Does it still do front and rear?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by schip43
"...antenna under the headliner.." so they pull the V1 apart to mount the antenna? Does it still do front and rear?
Yep, The unit is completely disassembled. Antenna is hidden under the headliner (or above the instrument cluster in a convertible like my Ferrari). The controls ***** are then mounted under the dash for a 100% stock look.

No effect on performance (I've tested the installs against my standard V1) and , yes, you still get front and rear.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink A few thoughts on radar detectors

1. Can the radar detector readily be wired up to the cruise control? That way, as soon as it gets a radar indication from the cop radar, it turns off the cruise control and you start slowing down instantly, rather than after delay due to human response lag. Since cops reportedly shoot their radar twice for verification, this extra margin of time could save tickets.

2. Antenna locations should be as high on the car as possible: Radar is line of sight, and cops tend to hide just over the crests of a hills. So, the highest point on the car is exposed to the cop radar signal soonest, and an antenna there would give earliest possible warning. Bottom of the car antenna locations would give latest possible warning, ungood.

3. The Stealth mirror is wonderful, but way too expensive. Could the readout or flashing light of a standard radar detector be put in a stock mirror, to the same effect? This would involve routing the wires through the mirror mount stalk if it's hollow, and perhaps scraping some of the silver off the back of the mirror. Should be do-able.

Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Can the radar detector readily be wired up to the cruise control, so as soon as it gets a radar indication from the cop radar, it turns off the cruise control and you start slowing down instantly, rather than after delay due to human response lag. Since cops reportedly shoot their radar twice for verification, this extra margin of time could save tickets.
I guess anything can be done but that seems to be about the laziest most univoved driver thing, I have ever heard of! Do you own a Lexus with the A$$ wipe option?

[QUOTE]2. Antenna locations should be as high on the car as possible: Radar is line of sight, and cops tend to hide just over the crests of a hills. So, the highest point on the car is exposed to the cop radar signal soonest, and an antenna there would give earliest possible warning. [QUOTE]

Yes

3. The Stealth mirror is wonderful, but way too expensive. Could the readout or flashing light of a standard radar detector be put in a stock mirror, to the same effect? This would involve routing the wires through the mirror mount stalk if it's hollow, and perhaps scraping some of the silver off the back of the mirror. Should be do-able.
Well maybe the execution would work but it sounds cheap and cheesy, not saying it could not be done but it makes me wonder if you own a Honda?

Sorry not meaning to come on sounding like an A$$ but... such low hanging fruit, I could'nt stop myself!

Good luck with your choices.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I always wanted to wire a detector so that when the detector was going off it would activate a switch to cut off the brake lights. I have had a couple of tickets from troopers shooting me from behind. I'm sure as soon as I hit the brakes they new I had a detector.
One trooper told me he could see my detector going off, he even wrote on the ticket that I had a radar detector.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by Dash01
The Stealth mirror is wonderful, but way too expensive. Could the readout or flashing light of a standard radar detector be put in a stock mirror, to the same effect? This would involve routing the wires through the mirror mount stalk if it's hollow, and perhaps scraping some of the silver off the back of the mirror. Should be do-able.
That's exactly what was done in my cars. The photo in my post above is the stock mirror in an Aston Martin V8 Vantage that was modified to contain the displays. Wasn't cheap to have done but someone might be able to do it themselves and save some $$.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=schip43;7385535]I guess anything can be done but that seems to be about the laziest most univoved driver thing, I have ever heard of! Do you own a Lexus with the A$$ wipe option?

[QUOTE]2. Antenna locations should be as high on the car as possible: Radar is line of sight, and cops tend to hide just over the crests of a hills. So, the highest point on the car is exposed to the cop radar signal soonest, and an antenna there would give earliest possible warning.

Yes

Well maybe the execution would work but it sounds cheap and cheesy, not saying it could not be done but it makes me wonder if you own a Honda?

Sorry not meaning to come on sounding like an A$$ but... such low hanging fruit, I could'nt stop myself!

Good luck with your choices.

Well, thanks to those who responded with thought and maturity.

As for Schip, you do come on sounding like an ***. Please reconsider.

Assuming you are fully focused on responding to the radar detector and have good reflexes, it may take ~1/4 second or longer to hit the brakes, in which time the cop has plenty of time to nail you. If the radar detector were hotwired to the cruise control and/or brake lights, that slim margin might enable you to avoid expensive tickets and subsequent increase in insurance premiums.

How cheesey it looks depends on the application and installation. Preferably, all of this would be entirely hidden from view of cops or thieves, who just love to hit on expensive toys like Valentine radar detectors. Lots of cops choose to write a full ticket instead of a warning if they know the driver was using a radar detector. Some even have radar detector detectors for that purpose. So, discretion is wise.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

RDDs (Used to be VG-2, now mostly they use SPECTRE) are really just used by the highway patrol for catching truckers with detectors (which is illegal) or in jurisdictions with a blanket ban on detectors (DC, Virginia, and quite a few countries outside the US, Canadia being one of them). It's pretty rare that a cop will bother to use an RDD to look for drivers who can legally use detectors.

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 owners, where did you mount concealed display?