Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

BLEW HEAD GASKET!!! (pics inside) some questions needing answers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
Just giving you a little stab. I'm here to help, and have owned a few of these cars. If you are tracking your 951, Evans coolant may not be allowed, as it's very slippery once spilled. Most if not all DE events, and simple track days will allow this coolant.

If you are completely flushing your coolant from a head gasket failure, it's just an option to go waterless, with far less pressure on your system. My quad likes it, my diesel Duramax likes it, and I'll let you know how it works with my 951.

I have not driven the 951 with it, but it's waiting to go in with a fresh radiator, motor, and all else that I've given much thought into getting things in order for contunued abuse.

G
With the frequency of coolant leaks, I am hesitant to even run the seltzer... JUST KIDDING

I know, you have been around these parts forever, I'm just goofing..

I need this day to end... hell I need this winter to end so I can get back to flogging on 911s and M3s to make me smile at the end of the day.... BTW I hate winter, and hate snow even more!

Snowbunnies, KISS MY BUMPER!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Fixed it for ya..

I was taking a cheap shot at 968forums, but embrace every opportunity to make fun of a 928.

That Evans coolant seems interesting George. I'm going to have to drain the coolant system here in a few weeks, I might try it out.

Sorry for the OT.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by choinga
Is that Evans stuff phosphate free - it doesn't say in the description but I really like what I'm seeing there...looks very cool.
Know I'm a skeptic. I've been around the block, and have tried most ideas that will allow my toys to perform better, cooler running engines, when asked more of them as scrivined has always been at the forefront. I'm one to mod what seemed good enough.

Properly designed intercoolers, bigger radiators, better oil coolers, and larger motors allow you to get bigger hp and tq numbers in turbo motors. Without proper design, you may just get a good dyno number.

Cooler operating temps at the extreme is what I'm looking for in any solution towards repeatlable hp and tq numbers. I want this hp and tq all the time, not just on a dyno. I just had a fan operated oil cooler installed on my 951 in addition to a bigger than stock oil cooler.

I like cool fluids going into my motor, not because I think it's cool, but I want repeatable, consistent power. Once things get too hot, we've got issues. I'm taking things to their potential limits, and I want my fun to be fairly reliable. This last statement is why I'm always looking for good products.

So here is the link. http://www.evanscooling.com/

George
Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
With the frequency of coolant leaks, I am hesitant to even run the seltzer... JUST KIDDING

I know, you have been around these parts forever, I'm just goofing..

I need this day to end... hell I need this winter to end so I can get back to flogging on 911s and M3s to make me smile at the end of the day.... BTW I hate winter, and hate snow even more!

Snowbunnies, KISS MY BUMPER!
OT: I've not been around these parts forever, but know that I modded my first 951 back in 1994. It was a beautiful 89 951, and I got it to 330whp using Authority Chips, PowerHaus downpipe, and a few other head mods. This car is still kicking *** in LA with a 3.0 motor. The guy that purchased this car from me will be having dinner with me next weekend in LA.

The 951 fans are much deeper than this list. I'm just one that likes seeing the newer and older folks taking these cars to their limits, and sharing our strife. I get to drive my first 951 with a friend next weekend. How cool is that? I'm going to enjoy the rest of his cars, but I'm only interested in driving my first 951 with his 3.0 motor and other mods. Can't wait. I'll take some pictures of his killer ride and share with you folks.

In Service,

George
Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

OT: I've not been around these parts forever, but know that I modded my first 951 back in 1994. It was a beautiful 89 951, and I got it to 330whp using Authority Chips, PowerHaus downpipe, and a few other head mods. This car is still kicking *** in LA with a 3.0 motor. The guy that purchased this car from me will be having dinner with me next weekend in LA.

The 951 fans are much deeper than this list. I'm just one that likes seeing the newer and older folks taking these cars to their limits, and sharing our strife. I get to drive my first 951 with a friend next weekend. How cool is that? I'm going to enjoy the rest of his cars, but I'm only interested in driving my first 951 with his 3.0 motor and other mods. Can't wait. I'll take some pictures of his killer ride and share with you folks.

In Service,

George
I love hearing these kinds of stories.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheDice951
Thank you guys for all the help, this forum is so much better than the other forums I used to deal with, with my last car......

I appreciate it all
Yes, some of the the gentlemen in here posting advice know this motor inside and out and back inside again.

So even with a strong motor background you have they can still offer some great advice.

If anything we all have been able to learn from their mistakes and wallets.

Welcome to the 951 community and make sure to post when you get it all up and running again.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:46 PM
TheDice951
Racer

i will keep you guys in the loop..... i am taking the turbo off in a few minutes, i need to figure out what it is so i can get a replacement..... i will take pictures and post them for your guy's help. also on the waterpump replacement.... is their a brand to stay away from or is any waterpump ok.... timing belt? is it worthe buying the kevlar one or is the porsche original ok.....
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Know I'm a skeptic. I've been around the block, and have tried most ideas that will allow my toys to perform better, cooler running engines, when asked more of them as scrivined has always been at the forefront. I'm one to mod what seemed good enough.

Properly designed intercoolers, bigger radiators, better oil coolers, and larger motors allow you to get bigger hp and tq numbers in turbo motors. Without proper design, you may just get a good dyno number.

Cooler operating temps at the extreme is what I'm looking for in any solution towards repeatlable hp and tq numbers. I want this hp and tq all the time, not just on a dyno. I just had a fan operated oil cooler installed on my 951 in addition to a bigger than stock oil cooler.

I like cool fluids going into my motor, not because I think it's cool, but I want repeatable, consistent power. Once things get too hot, we've got issues. I'm taking things to their potential limits, and I want my fun to be fairly reliable. This last statement is why I'm always looking for good products.

George
FWIW Chris White runs Evans in his cars. This is one product that works as advertised!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:51 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

George

Any differences in running NPG, NPG+ and NPG race?

Also, how are you able to get every bit of water out of the block?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911

Also, how are you able to get every bit of water out of the block?
The best way to get all the water out of the block is to machine great big holes in the block to allow the water to drain out. Then fill the holes with some Darton sleeves....

Evans makes a flushing fluid that you can use to help get all the water out.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDice951
is their a brand to stay away from or is any waterpump ok....
Watch out for the really cheap Chinese knock offs. Hard to tell for sales pitches which ones are ‘real’. A real new one will cost close to $300 – if it’s a lot less and advertised as new…then its not a ‘real’ one!
I used to use rebuilts on some projects but not anymore – you can’t tell who is doing the work anymore.

Quick Reply: BLEW HEAD GASKET!!! (pics inside) some questions needing answers