Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Which clear bra and how to install it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Which clear bra and how to install it?

Just had the bumper cover, nose panel and headlight covers repainted and am considering a clear bra.

Recommendations welcome. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Here you go: http://paintprotectionspain.com/
Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

live with the paint chips, the bra will rub/virbrate and kill the paint.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bearone
live with the paint chips, the bra will rub/virbrate and kill the paint.

He doesn't mean a traditional auto bra.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Invisishield http://www.invisishield.com/ its expensive but the best (IMO) If applied correctly its virtually invisible.

Its a 3M product, and from my experience anything 3M works.

Last edited by samluke; 02-04-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a clear bra on the front of my car. If you do a lot of track days and you care what the front of your car looks like, it is an excellent investment. Makes a huge difference.

I can't remember where I bought my kit, but it includes the front bumper, header panel, light covers, the first 6 inches of the hood, and leading edges of fenders. It also includes the side mirrors, but I didn't bother applying those pieces.

You DEFINITELY want to have a professional install it. If you absolutely insist on doing it yourself, use soapy water, a squeegee (sp?), and a lot of patience. Plastic bondo applicators would work as well to squeeze the water out once you have it in place. This is not for the faint of heart.

http://clearbra.us/

Just do a search on-line for "3M clear bra". You will find people who sell. Here's one (but this one doesn't look like it includes the bumper)

http://www.stickercity.com/86-91-por...irror-kit.html
Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to find an Invisishield dealer/installer in your area. Invisishield is the 3M material, custom made for each vehicle. Its cut very precisely and when done correctly its fabulous. Its also very expensive.

In my mind its not worth it on these cars, they are not that valuable. If its already been painted then its already de-valued. They don't chip up that bad or that quickly. Its almost as cheap to let it chip and then re-finish again, which would be years in the future. My white car was 175k and many track days. Original paint, lots of chips but it still polished up.

I had a pristine 993 and almost pulled the trigger, I now have a 996 and still don't think its worth it.

If you live in an area that has unfinished roads that you drive on regularly then it may be worth it.

Last edited by samluke; 02-05-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM
DanR
Drifting

I had a custo, fitted 3M bra on my 997 and it did a great job. About $800 but really good!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 3m Invisishield bra on my car and it is great!

It comes cut from 3m specifically for a 944 turbo and it fits perfect. There is a large panel for the nose, panels for the headlight covers, a panel that extends about 12" up the hood, a panel for each mirror, and panels for the 2 door latch inset area. I had my body shop install it at a cost of $1,100 us.

I also had the body shop make a custom piece for my AIR splitter (included in the $1,100 price). I could not keep paint on the fiberglass splitter. Just driving home after the splitter was first installed and painted, I had many chips. It has been 6 months since I installed the 3m bra and I only have 1 chip, or you could call it a gouge in the 3m bra (must have been a large/sharp rock).

I recently entered my 951 in a local PCA concours and took home the first place trophy. They made no mention of the bra and thus I did not get marked down for it. They did see the gouge though...-1 pt.

Last edited by Bill; 02-05-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 02-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm still on the fence about this.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had clearbra installed on my front bumper after I had it resprayed. I bought some of the 3m material off of ebay and did the mirrors myself. A couple things to consider:

-- You definitely need a pro to do the front bumper
-- The guys who did mine thought that the template was lousy. They got it to fit perfectly, but it really should cover the front bumper all the way back to the wheel openings. The light openings are also too large and leave some small exposed areas.
-- If I had to do it over again, I would pay for someone to do it custom
-- It was definitely worthwhile nonetheless. My bumper was resprayed by a high end shop with Glasurit. They shot it off the car and cured it with whatever oven/IR/etc. they have. Even so, the paint on the bumper is very prone to chipping

Quick Reply: Which clear bra and how to install it?