Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Okay, Stealth MAF idea...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Ziff951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Okay, Stealth MAF idea...

okay guys, just spit-balling ideas here...I'm getting ready to start on figuring a way to make my LR MAF (with sport turbo, injectors, 3" exhaust) look a little more stock for the DMV visual ***** out here in Kali. What do you think about doing the new LR 3" J-pipe to a gutted AFM to the stock airbox that has the MAF INSIDE it? Before anybody rips me a new one, think about it and let me know what you really think.
I have the parts in the mail now (old AFM, etc...) and I'm just killing time by thinking about it....might be interesting...granted, if I can open up the insides of the AFM and have a pretty clear shot inside the air box, would the MAF be okay housed inside the box itself sucking air through the stock filter (I know the snorkel is restrictive...but that aside)? I could hollow out the AFM to 3", maybe...with the MAF body at 3 1/2"...might lower power a bit, but look almost totally stock, right?

Let me know what you guys think...I'll try to document this endeavor as I go.. thanks.

Stephen
Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Vitesse Stealth MAF:
Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Ziff951
Instructor

If I were just starting out, that would be perfect. Problem is that I have the LR MAF on here already and it's a 3.5" diameter unit, anodized red, and I'm not sure how to make it look more stock with those dimensions. Can I switch out the actual MAF with a smaller diameter one and not need to change all the wiring? I'll see once I have everything piled up in front of me...
Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

As mentioned already, you can go plug-and-play Stealth setup, by replacing the AFM with the appropriate MAF. You can go further and place the MAF inside of the AFM, take a look at this thread

note: each MAF has a unique curve. The curve depends on the location of the sensor inside the tube, changing the tube diameter will change the curve.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both the scivision and vitesse stealth use the oem airboxes, so aslong as you designed the setup with airflow in mind you should be alright.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:43 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

orrrr paint that sucker black.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Ziff951
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Since I have all the MAF stuff already installed, I'll just try to modify this setup first. Another question....with regards to the changes in tube lengths and sizes, and the airbox restrictions...can I just retune it with the Mafterburner to compensate? I assume I'll lose some hp due to lower airflow, but I can still get my afr safe, right? I guess I'm wondering if there are any other side effects to the swap that can't be tuned out with the piggy back? Thanks

Stephen Z
Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

if you watch your afrs and tune accordingly there should be no problems.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

yeh genrally as long as the Maf is not Bling they wont pick it from the old AFM .i would look at cutting an old paper filter to use as a seal then try mount a POD filter in the box as it has increased filter area. then you could duct air into the bottom of the air box with some flexibal ducting.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:23 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ziff951
okay guys, just spit-balling ideas here...I'm getting ready to start on figuring a way to make my LR MAF (with sport turbo, injectors, 3" exhaust) look a little more stock for the DMV visual ***** out here in Kali. What do you think about doing the new LR 3" J-pipe to a gutted AFM to the stock airbox that has the MAF INSIDE it? Before anybody rips me a new one, think about it and let me know what you really think.
I have the parts in the mail now (old AFM, etc...) and I'm just killing time by thinking about it....might be interesting...granted, if I can open up the insides of the AFM and have a pretty clear shot inside the air box, would the MAF be okay housed inside the box itself sucking air through the stock filter (I know the snorkel is restrictive...but that aside)? I could hollow out the AFM to 3", maybe...with the MAF body at 3 1/2"...might lower power a bit, but look almost totally stock, right?

Let me know what you guys think...I'll try to document this endeavor as I go.. thanks.

Stephen
Check this out. I think it's already in use.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ht=stealth+MAF
Old 02-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Ziff951
Instructor

Yeah, I've been through most of the threads about stealth MAFs....it's just that they use a 3" MAF and I have a 3 1/2" one..(MAF, that is...) . I've never heard a girl say this, but 3 1/2 inches may be too big..

Anyway, I'll make something work and I'll post it up when I start working on it.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Does CA really care how it is set up as long as your CO2, etc. readings are in range?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Ziff951
Instructor

It's an out of state purchase, so to register it not only does it have to pass smog, but a visual at the DMV...technically, it can't be smogged if it looks modified, but it's easy enough to find a guy that doesn't care....DMV on the other hand, not so easy to schmooze...;-)...dumb....since it runs cleaner with the MAF adjustability anyway...that's what you get for putting uneducated liberals in charge... Sorry, venting a little...

It's so stupid, because it only needs that DMV visual when it's first registered in CA... after that, the smog guys are the only obstacle..
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
Does CA really care how it is set up as long as your CO2, etc. readings are in range?
From experience it's who you get and experience varies from shop to shop. A friend of mine only had the after market BOV and was failed for that on the visual insp.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Ziff951
Instructor

It's not the smog shop that's the prob. any friend can recommend a 'guy'. It's the DMV, and it's only on out of state purchased cars being registered in CA. They have to do a visual at the DMV to confirm it hasn't been tampered with. They even did it on a Harley I had...which is stupid because they don't have emissions equipment on them....That's why I'm battling this, I know they're evil and I would rather prepare for the battle than take a chance on some DMV retard failing me and putting me on some CIA watch list or 'no fly' list as the most dangerously horrible person in the world for driving a modified car... Okay, maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't have time to make a half dozen trips to the DMV...I'd rather blow the car up and collect the insurance.....okay, still overreacting.. ;-)

Quick Reply: Okay, Stealth MAF idea...