Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is it possible to put a 928 engine in a 944 chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Thanks, I've put frowns on quite a few LS1 owners with it...
I think they expect the ls1 in their car to be an instant win and forget about physics, like how a stock ls1 actually doesn't make much power in the scheme of things.

Also, I'm not sure why people keep saying just buy a 928 when that car is quite fugly, heavy, and just yeah, absolutely not.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Stock LS1? Who keeps an LS1 stock? LOL.
I actually get teased a little bit about what low HP mine makes. Once i get a proper air intake on it and can rev past 5700 rpms i'm expecting to hit right around 400 whp (corrected, since i live at ~6000ft elevation).

I wasn't trying to break any HP records with my car, just wanted something i wouldn't have to pop the hood on...and i succeeded
Old 01-29-2010, 02:42 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny... with no more than exhaust, very mild cam, larger throttle body and an ECU tune, 390RWHP ON 91 octane pump gas.

I can run all day long on 105F track way with no more than checking the oil at the end of the day.

And I KILL almost every other car on the track and is still street legal.

It's not me.... it's the car. It can make any average driver look good....

TonyG
Old 01-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rumor has it, Porsche planned to use a E34/E36 bodied BMW "plastic" engines under 968 hood.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG

It's not me.... it's the car.

TonyG
Yeah, right....I suspect that you might know a thing or two about how to get around the track....!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

So here is my ‘personal’ take on the whole engine swap issue.
While it seems like a great solution to making reliable power in a 944 there are some non-technical (emotional) hang ups.
For example – if I just wanted a cost effective track car it sure as hell wouldn’t be a modified street car! Used craftsman truck race cars are cheap and very fast….but not quite my style. Small and light cars like Legend cars area good solution too…but still its not a style the appeals to me (although I would save a ton of cash!)
Oddly enough I really like being the ‘underdog’ at Porsche events - the 911 guys just see a 944 and dismiss it because it must be inferior….and then it wails by them on the track…that never gets tired! I get double the pleasure (maybe triple?) because I am the engineer, fabricator and driver. The funny nontangible thing about that is if I opened the hood and it had a V8 the 911 guys would dismiss the whole thing as a ‘freak of nature’ .

Since playing with cars is an emotional thing we a driven to do things based on just that – emotion. If I did not have an emotional attachment with Porsches I would not drive one on the track – I would have a purpose made track car – it makes a hell of a lot more sense, its cheaper and faster.

Some of us also get our kicks from the technical challenge of improving the 944 engine. That is a purely emotional decision….there are better power plants to start with – but that would be a rational answer, not an emotional one. The rational answer is to have an entirely different vehicle for the track and for the street. There are better solutions out there for both. But I am not interested it those….

All that begin said – I do appreciate anything that is well engineered and executed – like Tony’s car. I will admit that it has tempted me many times over the years. But then I go to the track and can see the excitement about their cars that 944 guys always bring with them to the track. Go Underdogs!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
So here is my ‘personal’ take on the whole engine swap issue.
While it seems like a great solution to making reliable power in a 944 there are some non-technical (emotional) hang ups.
For example – if I just wanted a cost effective track car it sure as hell wouldn’t be a modified street car! Used craftsman truck race cars are cheap and very fast….but not quite my style. Small and light cars like Legend cars area good solution too…but still its not a style the appeals to me (although I would save a ton of cash!)
Oddly enough I really like being the ‘underdog’ at Porsche events - the 911 guys just see a 944 and dismiss it because it must be inferior….and then it wails by them on the track…that never gets tired! I get double the pleasure (maybe triple?) because I am the engineer, fabricator and driver. The funny nontangible thing about that is if I opened the hood and it had a V8 the 911 guys would dismiss the whole thing as a ‘freak of nature’ .

Since playing with cars is an emotional thing we a driven to do things based on just that – emotion. If I did not have an emotional attachment with Porsches I would not drive one on the track – I would have a purpose made track car – it makes a hell of a lot more sense, its cheaper and faster.

Some of us also get our kicks from the technical challenge of improving the 944 engine. That is a purely emotional decision….there are better power plants to start with – but that would be a rational answer, not an emotional one. The rational answer is to have an entirely different vehicle for the track and for the street. There are better solutions out there for both. But I am not interested it those….

All that begin said – I do appreciate anything that is well engineered and executed – like Tony’s car. I will admit that it has tempted me many times over the years. But then I go to the track and can see the excitement about their cars that 944 guys always bring with them to the track. Go Underdogs!!!
Well said,
Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by lart951
Well said,
And that came from the 944 undertaker...! Even he still has an emotional attachement!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

CHRIS WHITE FOR PRESIDENT
Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
CHRIS WHITE FOR PRESIDENT
I'll settle for Emperor – everybody gets pissed at the President!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

^^They sure seem to be at the moment.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by 951_RS
I think they expect the ls1 in their car to be an instant win and forget about physics, like how a stock ls1 actually doesn't make much power in the scheme of things.
specific output, no they don't make huge power.

but for absolute numbers...hard to argue with 400+hp on pump gas no matter the weather and no maintenance for >100k miles other than oil changes.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
I'll settle for Emperor – everybody gets pissed at the President!
Yeah, nobody has ever been pissed at an Emperor
Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As saied before converting to that LS powerplant costs money and alot of time. I would just buy another car if i wanted a V8 as another car would probbably be cheaper after parting out the 951. However i wouldent change my 951 four badger for anything V8. "my opinion" V8 engines does not sound this good :-p

Back on topic i did see a picture of a insanely modded 944 NA with a 928 engine in somwere. Cant remember were though ..
Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 PM
manticore33
Racer

Originally Posted by TonyG
Funny... with no more than exhaust, very mild cam, larger throttle body and an ECU tune, 390RWHP ON 91 octane pump gas.

I can run all day long on 105F track way with no more than checking the oil at the end of the day.

And I KILL almost every other car on the track and is still street legal.

It's not me.... it's the car. It can make any average driver look good....

TonyG
Let's follow the Tony as he leads trails on the Hale-Bopp comet and excute our lowerly i4's.

No, really, kudos to you for a beautiful swap. I know your car performs excellent and is a dominator at the track. Still not my thing. Of course, I am slow, old, and not a racer.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to put a 928 engine in a 944 chassis?