Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 track car, manual rack or plugged power rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 PM
trondv
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 track car, manual rack or plugged power rack?

Hi there, I am putting together my 944 turbo for trackdays, the car will most likely be used 80% track -20% road. (driven to the track that is)

I have a complete and tight manual steering rack in the garage and a leaky power steering rack in the car.

Did actually rebuild the pump yesterday but I did read up here in the forums and seems like I can either plug the power rack or change the whole unit for my manual rack.

Before I rebuilt the pump it would quite fast leak out of oil and push and pull sideways, kind of scary as the oil level got below minimum and it would pump air, fluid, air .. etc. I have not put it together, it could be that it has some leaks in the rack parts as well, but the seal in the pump was the main reason.

Main reason to put in the manual rack would be to save HP and weight plus the better feel of manual rack.

Would be interested to hear if anyone have advice or experience about the feel of the plugged power versus the manual rack.

Last edited by trondv; 01-24-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do not plugg the power rack it is far heavyer than any manual rack . I drove around like that for 2 years with my NA "with 235`s in the front" I would get really tired after a while. Cant imagine it would be suitable for any small tracks. The manual rack is 5 times lighter ...
Old 01-24-2010, 08:52 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be faster and more consistent on the track with powersteering.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Silver Rose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned a N/A with a manual steering rack and now own a 88S turbo that I am lightening for the track. I am very methodical about the weight and I would never and I mean NEVER remove the PS system from my track car.
You would be surprised at how much harder you work in a manual steering car!!! The little bit of power gain you could see (around 5hp) should not be a real issue in a well tuned turbo (enter Vitesse here) and the removal of the weight will only be countered by the increase in your biceps diameter after your first DE!!!!!
All that being said, the lightweight idea is a admerable goal, but a slipery slope, enjoy!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

and the removal of the weight will only be countered by the increase in your biceps diameter after your first DE!!!!!
Thats almost true.. I know i would never remove my power steering again as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i have spare power rack as i sit on the other side of the car it would probably be about $80 to ship.. so consider that if you make an offer on it .
Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 PM
DanR
Drifting

unfortunately to be able to run as a turbo cup car I have to go manual. Guess I better start going to the gym now!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 AM
derekvg
Track Day

i'm still using PS. but thats because i'm lazy.
the drivers driving in front of the field in our cup all have manual steering.
manual steering gives more precise feeling of the car, and its balance.
thus driving on the limit is easier.

if you're going manual, you have to use the manual rack.
a power rack without power feels really sucky.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm probably just used to it now, but I haven't had any issues using a "plugged" (actually you loop the two ports) power rack on a street car.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
I'm probably just used to it now, but I haven't had any issues using a "plugged" (actually you loop the two ports) power rack on a street car.
Yes.. THIS is the way to do it - actually both lines to a reservoir to allow fluid expansion when hot.

Those that just run with the pump still attached.... yeah, VERY tough because you're trying to compress the fluid against the pump when you turn.. THATs what is tough to turn, not the rack..

I have run the power rack looped for about 4 autocrosses and 3 DE's.. Zero issues on 245 victo racer fronts. It is actually LIGHTER to turn than my stock manual rack NSX was.

SO.... unless your arms are the size of a toothpick, I say keep the rack and just make sure the fluid can expand. The only time I can see an issue is with an enduro. you're going to be tired anyway you look at it with those though.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
unfortunately to be able to run as a turbo cup car I have to go manual. Guess I better start going to the gym now!
It's not that bad, I run the manual rack with 275's up front and managed to finish quite a few 3 hour endurance races last year as a solo driver.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did drive my track car with the PS, then with a plugged version of it and I'm now with a manual rack.

My personal opinion is to avoid the plugged version. It is way too heavy. And on small tracks, it just don't work, you have to turn the wheel to much at hairpins.

The PS feels more stable over high speed bumps, but otherwise the manual rack is a bit more precise. Both options are good in your case.

255 r- compound up front.

If you don't use the manual rack, are willing to sell it? If so, can I have it?

C.

Last edited by Charles A. Toupin; 01-25-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: asking for the manual rack!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM
trondv
6th Gear

Hi and thanks for all response, the manual rack is now installed, it has between 3.5 and 4 turns from end to end. These racks are not heavy at all with 215's, it will be interesting to check it out with my 235 fronts when the snow is gone.

Very good quality as well, 100.000 miles on the rack but still very tight.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the front running 944 guys around here run the looped PS rack. The manual rack is easier to turn because it has a higher ratio but that makes it slower (have to turn the wheel more to get the same amount of change). I ran a looped PS rack on the racecar last year with 275's up front and it was fine.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Ever since driving a 77 924 beater, I've been hooked on the road feel from a manual rack!

Quick Reply: 944 track car, manual rack or plugged power rack?