Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another dual versus single port waste gate thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
kahlveen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dual versus single port waste gate thread!

I know, I know, a subject probably thoroughly beaten to death, but don’t kill me just yet. I’ve read through a few older threads on the subject, but I still feel like the answer to this question is a bit unclear. It seems that a lot of folks here who’ve made the switch to the dual port from a stock unit have noticed a nice decrease in spool time. This makes a lot of sense in the situation where one would go from a stock setup of having the control valve open up at just a few psi, put pressure on a waste gate with a weakened spring and therefore allow exhaust pressure to bypass the turbocharger. But for the situation in which the stock control valve is bypassed and pressure from the banjo bolt to the waste gate is regulated by a manual boost controller (accuboost, black **** etc..) would having a weak spring be an issue anymore? In this situation the weak spring would see no pressure until the controller releases at the max boost pressure point that’s been set. It seems like at this point the weak spring would be a benefit since you’d want the waste gate to respond quickly to prevent an over boost relative to the controller set point.
I suppose what I’m really getting at is why the dual port and manual boost controller is a better option than a single port and manual boost controller. The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the older original equipment single port is actually leaking even at zero pressure from the banjo bolt and therefore always allowing loss of some exhaust pressure? What about manual boost controller with new single or dual port waste gate; is there a reason the dual port should allow a quicker spool time? Open to any ideas or experiences!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the case of the stock design, there is pressure agains the valve head which causes it to open pre maturely as well.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the exhaust pressure works on the back of the valve and prematurely cracks the valve open even if the signal to the can is complementary blocked .

so the theory is as as boost builds it will supply pressure to the close side of the WG aiding the weak spring .... then the signal to the closed side is capped so it is then over come by the boost signal at full boost
I have got my gate to work effectively single port quick spool and steady 22 psi ... but i have cut it open and added a spring inside

Quick Reply: Another dual versus single port waste gate thread!