Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder348
got my stage 3 saiku can in today looks great in front of the timing covers
dude, you are on fire with instals lately.

You should move close by so I can come home and see parts already installed on my car. lol
Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
The first one - if you install it correctly is has a drain that you plumb back to the pan. No manual draining oil!
So other than the look and drain capability, this operates the same as the stock AOS?

As the stock unit just routes the oil vapor right back into the intake then it is not really "separating" is it?

Also, do you not suggest a breather?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
So other than the look and drain capability, this operates the same as the stock AOS?

As the stock unit just routes the oil vapor right back into the intake then it is not really "separating" is it?

Also, do you not suggest a breather?
It operates the same way as the stock AOS – except that it does not get overwhelmed. The stock AOS does a good job up to a point, and then gets overwhelmed and it just passes the oil mist through to the intake.
The whole concept of the stock system is that the crankcase can be under a slight vacuum – this is a good thing for ring seating and oil drain back from the turbo. If you take the oil filler cap off a stock engine while it is running you should notice a change in the idle – the same thing will happen if you run an open breather.
Also important to note – I believe that if you are really cranking out the oil vapor then the engine needs internal attention….just trying to fix it with catch cans is not really fixing the problem.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
spyder348
Pro

any turbo car driven hard needs catch can keep the octane of the fuel up. especially bigger turbo users more boost my blowby gas. stock aos can barely handle 26/6
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM
spyder348
Pro

todd off topic but got in touch with a great piping fab guy last nite specializes in evos and r32/r34 skylines does amazing work. my bet it can make some sickkkkkkkk 951 pipes. exhaust IC pipes intake. Im going to give him all the dimensions of everything and see what he comes up with. ran by last nite was running dyno on a twin turbo viper. 1050 rwhp. 1 day fabbed split intercooler system get more air flow to radiator to cool engine temp. 1050.....8hours later 1222rwhp. the dude is awesome. point being let me know if you want anything that you cant seem to find.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

any turbo car driven hard needs catch can keep the octane of the fuel up. especially bigger turbo users more boost my blowby gas. stock aos can barely handle 26/6
Not really true. A 944 turbo in good health will not have an oil vapor / blow by issue. A lot of the engiens I do use the stock AOS system with a blow off vlave vented to atmosphere - and no oil vapor coem out at all - even in 3.1 race motors at the track.

A 20+ year old engine is a different matter...!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
spyder348
Pro

average 951 or older turbo car without new rings and seals can benefit from a can.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really true. A 944 turbo in good health will not have an oil vapor / blow by issue. A lot of the engiens I do use the stock AOS system with a blow off vlave vented to atmosphere - and no oil vapor coem out at all - even in 3.1 race motors at the track.

While putting in my AFM relocation pipes, I ran several days with the AOS hose disconnected. It was just hanging loose near the front of the intake. It was almost completely dry on the inside.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

todd off topic but got in touch with a great piping fab guy last nite specializes in evos and r32/r34 skylines does amazing work. my bet it can make some sickkkkkkkk 951 pipes. exhaust IC pipes intake. Im going to give him all the dimensions of everything and see what he comes up with. ran by last nite was running dyno on a twin turbo viper. 1050 rwhp. 1 day fabbed split intercooler system get more air flow to radiator to cool engine temp. 1050.....8hours later 1222rwhp. the dude is awesome. point being let me know if you want anything that you cant seem to find.
Nice! PM me the details, cost, etc.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 AM
McLovin69
Advanced

why not just do it old school and vent to the atmosphere. the EPA might complain, but oh well
Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 AM
spyder348
Pro

you want a vac. on the system just venting wont pull the crap out of the crankcase like it should. venting would keep it out of your intake but maybe cause a mess where the vent is and cause oil leaks else where.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what's considered normal oil vapor on a fairly fresh engine?
Let's say at idle, oil filler cap off; one should feel air coming out, but dry?
What should you see and feel when reving it up a little?

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Cans