Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil Catch Cans

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 PM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Catch Cans

Hey I understand saiku catch can is a good product but what is really the diff. b/w a saikumichi stage 3 catch can and 30 dollar unit from greddy or aftermarket on ebay. The ebay generic units seem to have a level indicator on them as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an Ebay one on my volvo, they seem to work really well. If you are looking for some thing that does the job better, you want to find some thing with baffling in it other wise when you are really on it it might just pull the vapors right back in.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy the one you like . They all do the same more or less but be aware that some use much smaller vacume hoses than the saiku... And it may also be a good idea to buy one that does not vent to air "usually has a filter on top"..

EDIT. Some cans are not very good as they blow the fumes straight trough the can as in mostly very cheap ones...
Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

You do not need a vacuum line on it. Just a breather. The pressure from the crankcase will automatically vent to the less pressure area (the tank with a breather). I found mine on racingjunk.com
It was a rear end breather from a Nascar stock car.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I currently use the Saikou Michi can and it is a really good one. It really works. The baffle inside are definitely doing the job. I was collecting about 100ml per 20 minutes DE session... (I'm rebuilding my engine...).

It collects gas and oil...

c.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about the installation on these. What if you haven't ditched the factory airbox and aren't planning to. Any pointers?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I've read that these engines run better with the inlet vacuum pulling the vapour from the crankcase rather than it just venting to atmosphere ?.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

What is the difference in a catch can and crank case breather?

Or do they work in conjunction with each other?

Are they only for reducing blow by?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
I currently use the Saikou Michi can and it is a really good one. It really works. The baffle inside are definitely doing the job. I was collecting about 100ml per 20 minutes DE session... (I'm rebuilding my engine...).

It collects gas and oil...

c.
Yeah hahaha that was so bad and you kept going like that
Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a AMW catch can, http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp
It pulls a lot of oil vapor and moisture out of the system, especially in the fall when temps start to drop.
It's a nice unit. Stainless steel and well built, has a metal mesh inside to condense the vapor and is a pretty small overall. Here's a pic of what I have collected over the past three or four years and a picture of it installed.
Attached Images   
Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Where does it hook up to and from?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
You do not need a vacuum line on it. Just a breather. The pressure from the crankcase will automatically vent to the less pressure area (the tank with a breather). I found mine on racingjunk.com
It was a rear end breather from a Nascar stock car.
You always need a vacuum line on it. The breather only ones are fairly pointless. Having the vacuum source improves ring sealing and helps get the vapor out.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
Where does it hook up to and from?
I added the catch can when I deleted the venturi pipe. Coming off the top of the AOS tank there is a short maybe 6" 90 deg hose with a check valve built into it, this is on an '89 turbo I don't think all models had the check valve, I left this hose and valve in place and used a male to male adapter at the end of it to run a line to the catch can. Out of the catch can I ran a line back to the J boot, where the other end of the venturi pipe used to plumb into. Basiclly, I removed the venturi pipe and plumbed the catch can in line with the hose that was running off the top of the AOS and finished the venturi delete as one normally would. Hope that makes sense, it was a simple project and seems to have been worth it by the looks of my spaghetti jar.

Edit: I believe the male to male adapter was also a reducer to get the correct size line for the catch can. If you decide to go this route let me know and i'll dig through my files to see if I can find the correct size lines and adapters.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mj951
I added the catch can when I deleted the venturi pipe. Coming off the top of the AOS tank there is a short maybe 6" 90 deg hose with a check valve built into it, this is on an '89 turbo I don't think all models had the check valve, I left this hose and valve in place and used a male to male adapter at the end of it to run a line to the catch can. Out of the catch can I ran a line back to the J boot, where the other end of the venturi pipe used to plumb into. Basiclly, I removed the venturi pipe and plumbed the catch can in line with the hose that was running off the top of the AOS and finished the venturi delete as one normally would. Hope that makes sense, it was a simple project and seems to have been worth it by the looks of my spaghetti jar.

Edit: I believe the male to male adapter was also a reducer to get the correct size line for the catch can. If you decide to go this route let me know and i'll dig through my files to see if I can find the correct size lines and adapters.

Can it be done without pulling the intake to get at the AOS line?

Also, if plumbing back into the intake, isn't that defeating the purpose as to not inject oil/vapor into the combustion chamber and thus drop octane, etc. ?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
Can it be done without pulling the intake to get at the AOS line?

Also, if plumbing back into the intake, isn't that defeating the purpose as to not inject oil/vapor into the combustion chamber and thus drop octane, etc. ?
I don't think you could do it without removing the intake, but that is fairly simple once you have done it a couple times.

What you are plumbing back into the intake is clean air. There is a stainless steel wire mesh inside the catch can that the incoming air filters through and the water vapor/oil vapor condenses on the mesh and drops to the bottom of the can. I'm no expert but it seems to work and I believe this is how most, if not all catch cans are plumbed other than ones that vent to atmosphere.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Cans