Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Worth it to swap chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Worth it to swap chassis?

I came across a semi-local 951 roller that appears to be in good shape for sale at a reasonable price, although $200 less would be nice.

I wish I could have snagged that Nile Green 951 roller that was for sale here a month or 2 ago, but did not have the fundage at the time.

It is black (I wanted anything but red when I bought my car) and is missing much of the interior, trans, and engine. My car is good except the body is in pretty poor shape. It was vandalized so every panel has either a small dent or a scratch and while I have gotten used to it, it still bothers me.

The downsides for me would

A) loosing the 968 wing as it's painted red and I will probably give it to my mother for her red N/A along with the front end of my 951

B) Having my car down for the time period as I would have to swap my interior, suspension, trans, engine, and all the fancy new wiring/grounds, etc

C) Having a 951 shell to get rid of.

I'm not sure if the benefits (nicer black car) would outweigh the negatives.

Has anyone else here done this and would you do it again? I remember "Keith" and someone else swapped chassis a long, long t ime ago, and while the thread was awesome, it seemed to be quite the PITA when it was all said and done...
Old 12-27-2009, 11:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

probably be easier to set your car back to stock, sell it, buy a black one, and then put the goodies back on that one.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Piece of cake to paint that 968 wing black...
Old 12-27-2009, 07:21 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Nile Green one but it wasn't a roller, no ABS and an 87. My old car was an 89 but just about every panel was damaged in some way, and the last hit meant it wasn't worth repairing (IMO).

I raced it at Hallett in October, had a minor off, so am fixing body panels again.

I have just put ABS on the car, and am going through a weight reduction program as its heavy.

No regrets with the one I got. It was nice and clean shell. Had a fairly good respray, and a very nice cage so it was perfect for me.

I would have no hesitation doing it again, but I would have preferred a later car with ABS.

Last edited by samluke; 12-27-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on how much of a project you're willing to start/finish. I guarantee that the more you tear your current 951 down to move into a new body, the more you'll wind up with "while I'm in there..." projects that will eat up a ton of time and money. If you're looking for a nice way to relax/unwind and have some fun, go for it. If you're looking to get it done in 3 months, I don't think it's the right project.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:48 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap chassis? OK, lets look at the project plan:

Step one - completely dismantle TWO cars

Hidden in that simple statement is the need for space to pull the two drivetrains, and move the parts around for the transfer. Its a big project, especially if you are moving everything across.
I've done it, and I'm damn sure I wouldn't do it simply for cosmetic reasons.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:10 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge undertaking. Unless the car is wrecked or otherwise a huge condition difference i would not even consider it.

The other part to consider is even with both cars bought and paid for you will spend money. You will find issues you need to address, gaskets, etc.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mechanical stuff doesn't bother me. If it is strickly mechanical, the body on the other car is that much better and you don't mind spending the time, I would do it. The holdup I see is the interior being torn up, I hate swapping interior components. Be realistic with your time and your goals. You're the only one that can make this decision for yourself. Take some of the opinions here into consideration, but at the end of the day you need to make your own choice.

Quick Reply: Worth it to swap chassis?