Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF and test port question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 06:31 PM
joe_951Turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF and test port question.

I'm trying to install an Autothority MAF and I'm suppose to run the red wire into the test port 12v, but I'm trying to test it with a voltmeter but I get zero volts on any of the ports pins. I've grounded to the metal around the test port and even the body but still zilch. I've tested the voltmeter to the battery works perfect. I've done it with the ignition on and off so what am I doing wrong?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe a stupid question but did you turn on the ignition as the test port will not have power when the car is not running or ingnition is switched off.. Some testports are saied not to have a +12 volt cant confirm that as mine works fine... Btw its the most left pin.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:08 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Ah, you bought John's car. Very nice! What happened to the Vitesse goodies?

Some people can't seem to get 12V from the test port, I am one of those. I have heard there is a inline fuse (I don't know this for a fact) but I have not seen it. My "temp" fix has been to run it to the fuel sender fuse, so it has a fused 12v source.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:55 PM
joe_951Turbo
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. I've tried it both ways and for some reason I never got any voltage reading. I took my voltmeter even to a AA battery and it worked, then I slapped it to the battery and I got a reading, but once I put it to the test port, I couldn't get anything.

Originally Posted by Adonay
Maybe a stupid question but did you turn on the ignition as the test port will not have power when the car is not running or ingnition is switched off.. Some testports are saied not to have a +12 volt cant confirm that as mine works fine... Btw its the most left pin.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951
What happened to the Vitesse goodies?
+1 What happened to it?!?!?!?!
Putting in an Autothority would be a HUGE step back/down.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 PM
joe_951Turbo
Instructor

Yes I did and its all that John has said about it. Totally a rocket sled on a rail. I just got done getting it through Pennsylvania inspection and its on the road now.... and legal. All the goodies are intact, the question I had was about a my first 951 which I'm trying to do a little work on. I'm trying to put in a MAF that I got for cheap but I'm having problems getting voltage from the test port.

As for the "Beast", which I lovingly call it, I've been working on getting carpeting and mostly cosmetic stuff for it. The front nose header and right headlight got damaged and I've replace the easy stuff. I'm looking into the headlights and header panel now. Not too sure what I want to do with that. I'm thinking vented and maybe a fixed headlight setup. So many things to work on it and I'm open for suggestions.

No need to worry because this one is not heading for the scap heap at all.

[QUOTE=MM951;7170797]Ah, you bought John's car. Very nice! What happened to the Vitesse goodies?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 PM
joe_951Turbo
Instructor

Trust me, I'm not going to touch what's been done on it. But I do have a steering issue with it. Seems like it shifts from the from side to side, kinda like one of those amusement car rides. No sure if its from the accident or something else, but its definitely not keeping inline at all.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as someone else mentioned, some cars can't get +12v from the test port, mine included. I've done the same thing and wired the positive from my MAF into the fuel pump fuse until I can figure out something better. You can drop the ground on any good spot - I put mine on the chassis ground in the drivers side headlight well.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuse (17). They all should have power going to the test port.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 AM
joe_951Turbo
Instructor

I'll take a look to see if its blown. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:57 PM
joe_951Turbo
Instructor

Ok I figured it out. There's a total of 5 holes , 4 that run next to each other and one that sits below the other 4. That sole one is the ground. I was grounding it to the body of the car, which registered nothing. Once I put the black volt wire to it and the red to the other holes, I got the voltages to register.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:04 PM
joe_951Turbo
Instructor

Here's an update. Took apart the DME to install the chip but I noticed that I have a 28 pin, and the chip I got is a 24. I'm sure that's going to be an issue. Another issue is that there are 4 wires on the MAF, yet the green and blue have been cut off. Why would somebody do that and what am I getting into? When they cut the wire they cut them right up against the connector so I can't just splice into it. Any ideas?

Last edited by joe_951Turbo; 12-25-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: MAF and test port question.