944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How to tell a kep st1 from a st2

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone run into firewall issues with the KEP2?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:39 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is how I identify mine.

KEP said with the Stage 1 and the custom disc (it is not a stock clutch disc. It is their "organic race" or something like that) that the clutch will hold 525ft-lbs and be very nice to drive on the street. Can't give you a review as its not in the car yet.

BTW, the KEP PP has a lot of aluminum on it.

-Dana
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
CP944T
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this exact pp and disk setup and the driveability is not noticeably different than the cup setup it replaced. I really like it, holds very well on my 2.8 16v VR st4.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

i run the stg 1 with a 6 puck solid hub clutch holds great for me
Old 12-19-2009, 04:20 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Originally Posted by DanaT
I dont have a good scale but I have a brand new KEP sitting in a box.

I just wonder, what do you need this weight for?

The only reasons I can see is that you either want to try to reverse engineer their product or marketing purposes for you own clutches. If these are the cases, you are trying to be quite clever and that you are trying to get KEP customers to spend the money on their product and then you get the information you need. This is even better than what companies normally do. Normally, when they want to know something about a competitors product, they buy the product. This takes it one step further in my mind.

It is funny that many people have asked about Vitesse products (i.e. what turbo is it, dimensions, etc) and yet no-one gets responses. I think this has to do with the fact that people spend a premium on his products and since they spend the premium, they don't feel like doing R&D (read and duplicate) for people who don't want to spend the premium.

So, for the Lidnsey guys, please, I hope you can come up with a good reason other than you are trying to use someone elses money and KEP customer in the pursuit of your business ventures. I really need to get a few things from you, but after the last few weeks I am starting to question your business practices.

-Dana
Anyone that has ever done business with Lindsey racing knows that their business practices are beyond reproach. How many hundreds of us have called Mike or Dave to purchase a product from them only to be told we do not need it? How many of us have called them to ask advice or a question without having made a purchase from them? How many times have you left a message for either of them and they not call you back?
What was said about Lindsey Racing in the above comment is totally unwarranted. KEP had to duplicate the original design from Porsche didn't they?
Mike and Dave only want to give us superior products, plain and simple. If this guy doesn't want to do business with you Mike, fine. Just double my next order!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:26 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I fundamentally disagree. Lindsey, like any business just wants to make money and not provide us a superior product. Look. If they, or I, could come up with some little widget that cost me $3 to make and it couldn't be duplicated, and consumers would pay $5000 for it for a 951, they would sell it.

Lets dissect your argument. I will give you the fact that the KEP is a duplicate of the original Porsche design (where is the aluminum on the original that they duplicated, but I digress since I was giving you the KEP was a copy of Porsche).

What I am referring to in this thread is that, as you can see, I spent the $850 (or thereabouts) for the KEP clutch. What the post was asking is that someone who spent the $850 give Lindsey the information so that they can have a competitive advantage without spending the money. Given your theory that a KEP is a copy of a Porsche part, do you think they actually purchased the part they copied? Knowing your competition is fine. Even asking for information about you competition is fine. I just don't feel like using MY MONEY as part of Lindsey's marketing efforts.

As I have said, I have bought part from Lindsey. I have bought parts from SFR. I have purchased from Vitesse. I have purchased from Blazack. I have purchased from KEP. I have purchased stuff from nearly everyone of them. I am not boycotting Lindsey. In fact, all service I have ever had from Lindsey has been fine.

I pay these people for what they sell based upon they add value to their parts. Based upon that, I don't want to be part of telling one vendor how to outdo/undermine/undersell/etc other site sponsors. I am sure Lindsey would dislike it if people posted proprietary information about their products if their competitors asked.

However, I am not stopping carreracoupe997, or anyone else, from weighing their KEP clutch and posting it. What I am saying is that I am respecting the IP rights of the vendors I work with. This isn't pro or anti Lindsey. In fact, I would think that Lindsey would prefer if I was not buying parts and then not respecting their IP.

Nuff Said.

Dana
Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm still wondering if anyone using a KEP2 or similar PP have had issues with the firewall tearing.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
Anyone that has ever done business with Lindsey racing knows that their business practices are beyond reproach. How many hundreds of us have called Mike or Dave to purchase a product from them only to be told we do not need it? How many of us have called them to ask advice or a question without having made a purchase from them? How many times have you left a message for either of them and they not call you back?
What was said about Lindsey Racing in the above comment is totally unwarranted. KEP had to duplicate the original design from Porsche didn't they?
Mike and Dave only want to give us superior products, plain and simple. If this guy doesn't want to do business with you Mike, fine. Just double my next order!
You have much to learn young grasshopper...
Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I'm still wondering if anyone using a KEP2 or similar PP have had issues with the firewall tearing.
KEP 2, no problems 70k miles and counting

Quick Reply: How to tell a kep st1 from a st2