Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How to tell a kep st1 from a st2

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to tell a kep st1 from a st2

Are there any noticable differences or markings of any type?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it should have a II stamped into the outer ring for a KEP stg 2
Old 12-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We would like to get a actual weight on a KEP if anybody has one out of a car and a good scale.
We estimate 11 pounds but would like to get a comfirmation on that.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have a good scale but I have a brand new KEP sitting in a box.

I just wonder, what do you need this weight for?

The only reasons I can see is that you either want to try to reverse engineer their product or marketing purposes for you own clutches. If these are the cases, you are trying to be quite clever and that you are trying to get KEP customers to spend the money on their product and then you get the information you need. This is even better than what companies normally do. Normally, when they want to know something about a competitors product, they buy the product. This takes it one step further in my mind.

It is funny that many people have asked about Vitesse products (i.e. what turbo is it, dimensions, etc) and yet no-one gets responses. I think this has to do with the fact that people spend a premium on his products and since they spend the premium, they don't feel like doing R&D (read and duplicate) for people who don't want to spend the premium.

So, for the Lidnsey guys, please, I hope you can come up with a good reason other than you are trying to use someone elses money and KEP customer in the pursuit of your business ventures. I really need to get a few things from you, but after the last few weeks I am starting to question your business practices.

-Dana
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

KEP2s are hard to get ahold of right now! Every time I try to order one they are out of stock and waiting on a restock!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think KEP Stage 1's dont have a number stamp, I think they just say KEP.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanaT

The only reasons I can see is that you either want to try to reverse engineer their product or marketing purposes for you own clutches. If these are the cases, you are trying to be quite clever and that you are trying to get KEP customers to spend the money on their product and then you get the information you need. This is even better than what companies normally do. Normally, when they want to know something about a competitors product, they buy the product. This takes it one step further in my mind.

It is funny that many people have asked about Vitesse products (i.e. what turbo is it, dimensions, etc) and yet no-one gets responses. I think this has to do with the fact that people spend a premium on his products and since they spend the premium, they don't feel like doing R&D (read and duplicate) for people who don't want to spend the premium.

So, for the Lidnsey guys, please, I hope you can come up with a good reason other than you are trying to use someone elses money and KEP customer in the pursuit of your business ventures. I really need to get a few things from you, but after the last few weeks I am starting to question your business practices.

-Dana
Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-Dana

Someone is looking to get on the **** list
Old 12-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, we want to know the exact weight for marketing reasons. Plain and simple. We currently estimate it to be 11.0 pounds. Would like a verification. Say for example your shopping and call us and ask if the SPEC aluminum pressure plate weighs less then the KEP your looking at. We want to be able to "not" say " I have no idea".

Knowing your competitions product as well as yours is business 101.

btw. We sell clutches, we don't make clutches or want to. We did talk SPEC into making the billet flywheel and we did talk and push them into making this new aluminum pressure plate. Why? Because
we wanted something lighter then the KEP and not deal with their company.

Feel free to call us any time and we can clear up the obvious misconception and misunderstanding you have about our business practices. Bring your concerns so we can address each and every one of them. Don't get caught up in the paranoia and spin brought on by our fellow competitors.

Last edited by Mike Lindsey; 12-17-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess mine is a stage 1 then since it only says kep on it. Am I missing alot by having a stg1 instead of the stg2? I would also like to know how much pedal effort there is with this. I prefer a stiffer pedal.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

What's your power output? That will tell you if the Stg 1 is adequate or if you need the Stg 2
Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

-Dana
or maybe they want a lighter part for their racecar...
Old 12-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought i remember seeing markings on the pressure plate fingers that denoted what stage it was, but i cant remember for sure... I Might be making that up .
Old 12-17-2009, 03:25 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory9584
I guess mine is a stage 1 then since it only says kep on it. Am I missing alot by having a stg1 instead of the stg2? I would also like to know how much pedal effort there is with this. I prefer a stiffer pedal.
Stage 2 has higher torque holding (750 ft/lbs I think) vs Stage 1 (450 or 500 I think). Stage 2 also has a pretty stiff pedal. KEP Stage 1 is a bit stiffer than stock from what ive read. Stage 2 is much stiffer.

Which is too stiff depends on your personal preference. I like my Stage 2.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Pedal effort on the stage 1 I would say is comparable to a new stock car! I can't believe how soft the stock pressure plate is on our cars, everytime i drive any of my friends cars and get back into mine, I practically put my foot through the floor board and have some pretty awful shifts for the first mile or so.

Quick Reply: How to tell a kep st1 from a st2