Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you think of these ramps???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Dom1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of these ramps???

I need to do a clutch job and I hate jackstands. Anybody try anything like this.
Materials would be cheap.

http://www.corvettec3.ca/ramps.htm

Dom
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I think that is a brilliant solution the way they are constructed they could be stood on the end and used as shelves .
i would go for 4 boxes that can clip together to form what there is there but go on top of each other to hold the car on its belly wheels hanging ...
i would consider good pallets and good timber shipping boxes for material as well .
I think its a great idea as you will easy find another use for the boxes later
Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet idea. Beats the hell out of trying to jack up the car in the garage next to another project car you don't want to scratch, and having to put it on jackstands.

Unfortunately I think I would need about 20 feet of gradually inclining ramps to clear both of my extremely low cars.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree the nose to ground clearance is not very high on the 944. I tried something like this on my lowerd NA and had to restack alot of wood before i got there. I may try to build a new one in future though. Thank you for posting the link
Old 11-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Interesting, but I agree that the ramp would have to be 20' long to get the lowered 944T up the ramps; otherwise not a bad solution at all...
Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:15 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 968 Posts

what about termites!!!
that looks like a case insurances companys would not pay off on???
Mike
Old 11-24-2009, 12:40 PM
2bridges
Drifting

sweet Christ - you would not catch me under anything bigger than lawn tractor with those ramps.

Fawkin Yikes!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:47 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Those are pretty neat! I have a little bit of trouble trusting wood with that load, though... Guess it just depends how much of a carpenter you consider yourself!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

I also think that it's an accident waiting to happen. I would be really carefull with these home ideas, and I heard of people dying under their cars. 10 years ago I had a Jack give up on me and thank god I had jack stands.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Those are pretty neat! I have a little bit of trouble trusting wood with that load, though... Guess it just depends how much of a carpenter you consider yourself!
To enlighten you all. A single 2x4 stud (typical Lowes Lumber) at 10-12' can support a vertical force of 1000 lbs.

So the 2x6 or 2x8 can support even more at the 2' height. I think its safe but make sure everything is square and driving on it would be the dangerous part.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

i think some more substantial platforms would make it ok.

when i had my car apart in 05 i had it up on 4 blocks 12" high, made up of 4x6 beams nailed and glued together

car was pretty solid up there. i imagine you could make a similar type of block and then actually use another full beam to support the weight
Old 11-24-2009, 01:09 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I think they are probably just safe as any jackstands but they limit what tasks can be done somewhat (i.e. no wheel or suspension work). I would get claustrophobic though working under there. It also makes it nearly impossible to access the engine bay from above if needed.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:24 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlege
To enlighten you all. A single 2x4 stud (typical Lowes Lumber) at 10-12' can support a vertical force of 1000 lbs.

So the 2x6 or 2x8 can support even more at the 2' height. I think its safe but make sure everything is square and driving on it would be the dangerous part.
Except for one oversight - the side cover OSB are taking all the load to keep the lumber perpendicular.... every time your drive on and off, the loads try to collapse the structure.......

The lumber "load rating" is not the issue - inappropriate application is.
You cannot build a wood bridge for example based on static lumber "load rating".

The OSB/plywood sides will begin to wallow out screw holes - or god forbid nails. Then there is the issue of expose to liquids (oil, antifreeze, water, etc) OSB.Plywood will swell and begin to come apart. There is also an issue of leaving a car on it for any extended period of time.....

show car display is the only application I see that makes any sense, working under such a structure is asinine
Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Dom1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2bridges
Except for one oversight - the side cover OSB are taking all the load to keep the lumber perpendicular.... every time your drive on and off, the loads try to collapse the structure.......

The lumber "load rating" is not the issue - inappropriate application is.
You cannot build a wood bridge for example based on static lumber "load rating".

The OSB/plywood sides will begin to wallow out screw holes - or god forbid nails. Then there is the issue of expose to liquids (oil, antifreeze, water, etc) OSB.Plywood will swell and begin to come apart. There is also an issue of leaving a car on it for any extended period of time.....

show car display is the only application I see that makes any sense, working under such a structure is asinine

Are you a structural engineer? If not, you are guessing. Wood can support a locomotive so the material is not an issue. I don't see how a litttle oil or water would affect the structure. Also,leaving a load on for an extented period of time will not damage the structure if it is built correctly. The real issue is structural integrity and I guess I want some kind of professional opinion just to be sure. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: What do you think of these ramps???