Mega Squirt DIY KIT

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mega Squirt DIY KIT

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/d...8ff30202e5e909

I keep an eye on the Mega Squirt site because I need one for my Turbo Tercel project, they make a kit for the Tercel that is a plug and play now. And they also make one for the 944's they don't list the 951 specifically but this kit has the 55 pin connector and MS does boost and knock control.

It looks like the KLK stays and the Mega Squirt can control it? Not sure, can some one that knows what to look for take a look and give an opinion on how plug and play this is?

PS I looked at the MS threads and saw no mention of this DIY Project development.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MS.. interesting, but not for me...
Old 11-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the 'concept'...but I also like the 'concept' of Windows...bugs in the code of an engine management system can do nasty things.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
flosho
Pro

Bugs in the code? Running megasquirt now, on one of the slightly older units, I would have no hesitation using megasquirt as a lower cost option to whats on the market for 944 or 951. I don't know of any bugs in the software. Granted it isn't mail-order tune that you plug in and drive, so you should definitely have some knowledge of tuning vehicles(or at least a willingness to learn about this), or just have it dyno tuned as many dyno operators can tune MS.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running MS Extra and no problems so far...
Old 11-16-2009, 05:35 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Note that that one is geared at S2s, which use the 55 pin connector and a 60-2 trigger wheel on the crankshaft. That actual kit wont work with N/As or Turbos.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I saw that also, the E-bay add says it's for a 951, but when I went to the site, I don't see 951. So with the 55 pin connector, it looks like it could plug in correct? But their is the knock control and if it's not specific to the 951, that's more work to do.

I know I can change over to EDIS with a crank trigger but it seems it's not quite plug and play just yet
Old 11-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
I like the 'concept'...but I also like the 'concept' of Windows...bugs in the code of an engine management system can do nasty things.
I don't think that is quite a fair comparison. Like comparing a jug of water to lake michigan...
The lines of code in the MS setup is ~10,000. Windows Vista is ~50,000,000 or so...

-Rogue
Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

I made a huge thread about using a microsquirt as a PNP kit over at pelicanparts.com. The only part that really held me up was the VR sensor and the number of teeth on the starter ring was too high. The 968 and S2 are factory 60-2 tooth wheels, so are basically already plug and play. I sold the n/a that I was using as a test mule, but I think someone picked up where I left off and has successfully used the factory ring gear on his car.

I still use the MS extra on my turbo and for the most part has been pretty flawless, except when I do things in a hurry and don't double check my work. That mistake yielded a vaporized spark plug electrode :0
Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

JustinL the Diy Kit with a Ford EDIS trigger would take care of the trigger issue correct? Additional cost for crank trigger but that would work won't it? It,s more work and expensive than I want to deal with at the moment but I want to know how close this is to a semi plug and play.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by theedge
Note that that one is geared at S2s, which use the 55 pin connector and a 60-2 trigger wheel on the crankshaft. That actual kit wont work with N/As or Turbos.
Said the winner of the "best bent rod award" !

hmmmm
Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Said the winner of the "best bent rod award" !

hmmmm
Im talking about the specific plug and play kit in his link.... Not MS in general.... 944 N/A and 951 DMEs dont have the 55 pin Bosch connector, and they dont use the 60-2 trigger setup used on S2s and 968s.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 PM
CPR
Race Director

Now Joka....how far are you from that point??????

BTW, as soon as I can arrange transpo I am going to retrieve her
Old 11-16-2009, 09:05 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CPR
Now Joka....how far are you from that point??????

BTW, as soon as I can arrange transpo I am going to retrieve her
I work with a die hard MS supporter, and user... until this past weekend he swore he would NEVER use anything else...

Then he went to a dyno weekend (boosted Miata, he's a BIG boy for a miata..but that is for another thread)

"I dyno'd fine, but was blowing oil all the way home, DESTROYED his engine with a mis-fire (lost timing trigger) on the dyno (dyno operator picked up on it when it lost timing, but it was too late) , blew the ring lands off 2 pistons..."

he is now driving his Scion, waiting to be able to afford a new engine build... he says he will do it right this time, rather then the home built he hacked his harness to crap to install...

How far from MS am I? light years away... but that is just me... it is neat, and I do not begrudge anyone who wants to use it, but it just isn't for me... to many negatives, and not really saving much to sacrifice a lot...

But then my cell phone is open source..so...

BTW.. let me know if you want a ride up... I'm game... I could use a day off this week, what with the new contract and what not...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Ask theedge how his MS install went ...he doesn't have his nice rod picture as his avatar anymore.

Quick Reply: Mega Squirt DIY KIT